Move logins to a different category

Options
richardk
richardk
Community Member

I've got a lot of email account passwords, which I created under the "Logins" category before 1Password had a separate category for email accounts. How can I move these existing logins to "Email Accounts"?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can't currently move items from one category to another. The reason is that the default fields in each category are quite different. Changing categories involves a bit of cutting and pasting, I'm afraid.

Stephen

• harmon
    harmon
    Community Member
    Options

The workaround is to create an email account folder & drag the item to that folder. It will still be in Logins, but at least you'll have all the email (and other kinds of) accounts in one place.

• harmon
    harmon
    Community Member
    Options

When I do this, I create a reminder in the official folder. For example, I have a bunch of rewards program logins. I created a Rewards Program Folder & dragged all of the rewards program logins, and the few items that I had actually created in the Rewards Program category, into the Folder. Then I created a new entry in the Rewards Program category that was named: CHECK YOUR FOLDERS.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

What a great way to stay organized, @harmon!

Thanks for sharing. :)

internal reference number: OPM-1735

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'm considering making a 1PIF category converter.

It would work like this: you would select the items you want converted and export them using the 1PIF format. Then, you'd run the converter telling it the category you want the entry converted to, and an import 1PIF file would be created which you can import to create the new entries in the chosen category. Like the current password manager converter scripts, this too would be a command line tool.

Where there is a 1-to-1 mapping of old fields to new fields, the value will be copied. Where there is no equivalent field, a custom field type for the category could be created and the value copied; minimally, existing fields/values would be moved to the Notes section of the new card. Maybe even both could be done.

Any interest?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

That sounds like a pretty brilliant idea. I know the ability to change categories is a popular feature request - I'm sure it would make a lot of users quite excited!

Thanks for being awesome. :)

• richardk
    richardk
    Community Member
    Options

@harmon thanks for the workaround

• richardk
    richardk
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Thanks. What are the password manager converter scripts you speak of?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

One thing to be aware of is if you typically access any of these email accounts via a web-based interface you're better off keeping those as login items if you want 1Password to auto-fill.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@richardk‌ see, for example, here (mSecure) and here (LastPass). I think there are others but don't have time to search the forum for them just at the moment. :)

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @richardk,

The converter scripts that @Stephen_C mentioned, plus others, can be downloaded from here:

Utilities for 1Password

I hope those help you, and saves Stephen the trouble of searching. :)

This discussion has been closed.