How do I prevent the vault from locking, ever?

Options
Eddie14
Eddie14
Community Member

I have turned off all the options under security in the preferences and it still locks. I didn't have this problem with v3. I'd like to know how to disable it in windows too. It is worse there. I know not locking is less secure, but I am the only person with access to this desktop computer.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Just wait until you have a burglary and your computer with its unsecured private data disappears! I've never understood why anyone with so little concern about security wouldn't just use a speadsheet to keep all this stuff.

I don't know the windows product, but on the Mac, you can control the interval between lock time in preferences. You can set that for long enough to get you through a day, but on any restart of your computer, you will have to reenter your master password. That cannot be changed. Most security conscious users would be happy about that.

• Eddie14
    Eddie14
    Community Member
    Options

As I said before I am not interested in security. I just want the lock turned off.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can't and I doubt you'll ever see the option added. I've seen more than once the developers say they won't do anything that compromises the security of 1Password and that would.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eddie14,

Do you have all of the Auto-lock options disabled under the Security tab of the Preferences window in 1Password on your Mac? In that case, you should need to unlock once after logging in or if 1Password mini quits for any reason.

Similarly, there's no way to set the preferences in 1Password for Windows to avoid locking altogether.

Keeping 1Password "permanently" unlocked could have tragic consequences other than data theft. If it did get unintentionally locked for any reason, the Master Password to unlock it may have been used too infrequently that it's forgotten, leaving data inaccessible to its owner.

If you've got a Master Password that is long and awkward to type, you might want to have a read through our blog post here:

Towards Better Master Passwords

… which discusses ways to create passwords that are easy to remember and type.

I can understand that you feel there is no security concern for your 1Password data, especially since you are using a desktop computer. I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for you but hopefully this helps explain why the Master Password prompt is necessary, at least some of the time. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As I said before I am not interested in security. I just want the lock turned off.

If this is really true, it seems to me that you may have chosen the wrong application for your needs. I can certainly understand the appeal of using auto fill, etc. to a person who doesn't care about security, but I rather doubt that 1Password would exist all, but for many users' concerns about security.

• Eddie14
    Eddie14
    Community Member
    Options

I am concerned in online security, not the physical security of my computer or unauthorized access thereof.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eddie14,

Thanks so much for clarifying that. I hope that @sjk's comments above help to explain the situation. Security software is always a tricky balance between convenience and security, and we've done the best we can to ensure that 1Password both keeps your data secure and gives your convenient access to the data when you need it. :)

This discussion has been closed.