Synched to dropbox--dropbox stored on encrypted disc image; need password for disc image from 1pass

Options
virtualbartek
virtualbartek
Community Member

Hi,

1password is synched to my dropbox account who's local folder is stored within an encrypted disc image. The disc image has a long password and I need 1password to open it. 1password doesn't want to open properly without that disc image mounted (and dropbox running). I don't know why it needs the synched data to open the program. My Chrome version of 1password kept failing to open, but after numerous attempts, it finally opened and gave me access to my passwords. 1password mini only started up properly after dropbox was up and running normally.

So my obvious question is, how do I get around this? My dropbox is not encrypted, just to clarify, but my local drop box folder is. How can I start dropbox without it attempting to synch first...or at least how can I dismiss the error without the app closing down?

Thanks everyone,
B

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @virtualbartek‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. I'll do my best to explain what's going on here.

The first thing 1Password does when you unlock it is to check for the availability of the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox. we do this to ensure that you have the latest copy of your data available- if changes have been made on another device, 1Password needs to get the latest updates before you attempt to fill an outdated password in on a site. 1Password expects your keychain file to be on a local drive and always available. If the keychain is unavailable you might see problems (such as you are).

If you would like to continue with your current set-up, I would recommend using something like Diceware to create a password for your disk image that is easy to remember and type. Then you can ensure that the disk is unlocked before opening 1Password. You can read all about Diceware in our blog post here: Towards Better Master Passwords.

I hope this helps!

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I appreciate the reply. I'm about to make a Diceware password. Sounds wonderfully geeky and perfectly devised..and easier to input than my current master. I may change my current set up cause I can't be bothered to learn yet another password. That brings me to two questions, if you don't mind:

1. My cloud backup doesn't allow copy/paste operations into their password login field of their Mac App. I've tried Apple scripts that work with Apple password fields but it is a no go with them. Any suggestions?

2. I have 1Password installed on two Android phones and since changing the master password on the Mac side, neither of the two android versions are updating the master password. I still need to use the old one. Any ideas? Last time I had to delete, sync, clear data on app, delete app, reinstall....what a pain.

Thanks again for the support,
    VB

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @virtualbartek‌

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Diceware - I was pretty excited when I learned about it too. :)

My cloud backup doesn't allow copy/paste operations into their password login field of their Mac App. I've tried Apple scripts that work with Apple password fields but it is a no go with them. Any suggestions?

I think my best advice here is Diceware. While 1Password's filling is often able to sneak past copy/paste restrictions on websites, we don't yet have the ability to fill in non-browser apps. It's something that we'd love to do in the future, but for now the solution is to copy and paste passwords for apps like this. I've used Diceware for my AppleID and my Dropbox passwords in addition to my Master Password. This is because I tend to get prompted for my AppleID password often on my mobile device and it's simply not always practical to open up 1Password and copy and paste. Remembering my Dropbox password ensures that I'll always have access to my 1Password data even if I have no devices with me via 1PasswordAnywhere.

However, I don't blame you for not wanting to remember multiple passwords - that's why you got 1Password, after all! Diceware can still help make it easier for you to type this password, and 1Password has a handy anchor feature that will allow you to 'pin' an item's details to your screen so that you can view the password while you type it into the cloud backup login.

I have 1Password installed on two Android phones and since changing the master password on the Mac side, neither of the two android versions are updating the master password. I still need to use the old one. Any ideas? Last time I had to delete, sync, clear data on app, delete app, reinstall....what a pain.

I'm sorry that your Master Password isn't updating automatically. It sounds like you may have done a lot more deleting the last time than you had to. If you do run into this again, all you need to do is clear the data on the app and then re-launch 1Password. (And if all else fails, you can simply update the Master Password manually before going through the hassle of deleting and reinstalling the app.) We are tracking an issue where the Master Password doesn't always sync as it should, so hopefully our developers will be able to make this experience more reliable soon!

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance. :)

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for the tips and friendliness. I love your apps and support. I'm using Knox as well which I didn't think I would keep past the trial. I can do everything it does manually after all. It's actually very useful though. The interface is great and it does allow copy/paste which apple doesn't...making using it to open disc images worth it's cost in weight.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Here's my first attempt at 1Password Anywhere after opening package contents within dropbox.. I wonder if the password not being synched could be the issue. I've looked at the 'help guide' but none of the issues there seem to pertain to me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @virtualbartek‌

Thanks for the kind words about Knox, I'm so glad you find it useful. :)

Now, are you accessing 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox folder on your computer, or the Dropbox website? This error is something we see when the data is accessed locally instead of via the website. If you are accessing via the website, we can try resetting sync to generate a fresh keychain file.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I see...that worked. But it would only be useful if it could be accessed from a local copy, such as from a USB drive. Without that, there is the issue of needing to log in to DropBox, which of course I need to have access to 1password to do. So far, because of the design of 1password, the only way to get around these issues is to not use 1password for passwords. That defeats the purpose. There needs to be a way to access files locally. Maybe with a portable app...but the important thing would be for it to be local, of course. This issue prevents me from using my email account on other computers. I tried for 45 minutes once to try to type the mail password in, while looking at my 1password on my phone, to no avail. So this is not a small issue. It's preventing me from using 1password for some passwords and breaking my workflow in some situations.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

There's no way to have 1Password remember all your passwords, one or two have to be committed to memory. Password, for your vault, password for your computer, pin or password for any mobile device - you get the idea.

What about instead of worrying about making an encrypted image of your Dropbox folder memorable (but still strong), you do that directly with your Dropbox account instead. That way you can access 1PasswordAnywhere anywhere that has an internet connection.

If for your own reasons you don't feel comfortable doing that I do believe the issue you're facing is a security restriction which can be bypassed. Something about running Javascript from a local file is banned I believe. Circumnavigate that and I believe it should work. The problem is this seems to be OS and browser specific while my suggestion above will mean it's accessible from any machine.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Synching with GDrive would be helpful in this respect as it would eliminate a few problems at the same time. I could use DiceWare to create a strong memorable password for for Google which is my GDrive, GMail, and plenty of other stuff I access online often. This one password would serve many functions. I noticed there is a topic regarding using GDrive in the forums. It seems this is not possible yet.

What is the sync to folder option do then? Can I not select my GDrive there?

Thanks Littlebobbytables and Megan!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I believe that in theory anything that presents itself as a filesystem e.g. Dropbox can be used as a location for the Sync to Folder but a word of warning 1. only one sync option can be used at a time so you would then have to use WiFi sync for any iOS devices and 2. 1Password doesn't react well if the folder isn't accessible at all times.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Well, as long as my password file doesn't vanish, I guess there's no harm in trying. I'll back it up. But if it's that easy, then why are people asking for a feature that already exists?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I think what people want is seamless support across the different platforms and a certain level of robustness to it. So while Agilebits have this folder sync, I don't believe they've done any stress testing of the various cloud services that are willing to present themselves as part of the filesystem.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so let the experiments continue. This is fun. Thanks!

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

So that attempt has brought me to https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17605/1password-anywhere-in-google-drive after unsuccesful opening of 1passwordanywhere. Too bad.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

..thought I would paste this on my own thread as well as a different one I commented on:

"You all at Agilebits must meditate before and after a session of responding to these posts. Your courteous and prompt responses are appreciated. Nothing is perfect and there is stuff annoying me with the program as well, but it's a freak'n great program and team despite it's shot list of shortcomings. Thanks ladies and gents."

• @virtualbartek‌ Again, thanks for all the love. :)

This discussion has been closed.