Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As always, thanks for letting us know!

• WoodyS
    WoodyS
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a native linux client. Happy to beta too, if that's an option. WINE isn't an option for me.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

WINE isn't an option for me.

Why?

• phlprmr
    phlprmr
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a native linux client

• fred909
    fred909
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for native linux client.

How many votes are we up to now? Any hints as to the priority?

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We're still in the brainstorming phase at this point. I will say that, although I understand the desire for a native product, I feel we've made great strides with regards to what can be done with WINE.

We appreciate the continued feedback.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌ WINE is functional, but hardly ideal. You can't do application logins and you can't do Ctrl+\ key capture reliably. These two features alone are a big omission. There's also the fact that the lock when the workstation locks feature doesn't work which is a pain.

I understand that developing the product from scratch on a new platform that you guys may not be familiar with is going to be a large job, but please don't start to think that the status quo is good.

As a small rejoinder to my own position. At present it is nothing more than a user driven effort. If you worked with WINE to make the Windows version fully functional then I would be a lot happier with the compromise.

• Ben
    Options

I understand, and I personally am always in favor of a native solution whenever possible with products I personally am using (I don't personally use Linux, at the moment, but have in the past).

We're certainly not resting on our laurels in this regard, and are definitely interested to hear what the community has to say about native Linux support.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

You need 1Password for Chromebooks. If whatever works on a Chromebook would also work in Chrome on Linux then you can kill two birds with one stone.

• Ben
    Options

@benfdc‌

Linux has actually been the seemingly more popular request, not that that means a heck of a lot. It could simply mean more Linux folks visit these forums than Chromebook folks.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, that's not surprising. My gut feeling is the Linux users are more likely to be vocal than Chromebook users.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Let me rephrase. Customers are pleading for 1Password for Chromebooks in multiple threads. The main thread is four years old, and the second post in it was by some guy named @dteare who wrote:

Seriously though, you're right, we need a ChromeOS solution and we're actively looking into supporting it.

If whatever works on a Chromebook would also work in Chrome on Linux then you can kill two birds with one stone.

• Tony Tyson
    Tony Tyson
    Community Member
    Options

Never before have I used an app that was so intuitive, so brilliantly executed that I immediately changed my behavior to accommodate it. I use 1Password on Mac, Windows and IOS and they are all awesome. I have dutifully rid myself of all of my lifelong "in-melon" passwords in favor of obscure, impossible to remember/guess replacements. All is right with the world, until the moment I log on to my Linux workstation. It is arguably my favorite of the 4 platforms that I've mentioned. I spend ~40% of my time there. I have 170 logins stored in 1Password. Every time I need one on Linux I have to run to my Mac or dig my phone out of my pocket and ssh a text file to myself with the 20 digit password I need. I'm begging you. Please build a Linux version. You don't even have to do a UI. Just give me something the browser plugins can talk to. I know there has to be someone in dev already building it on Linux. You did a Windows Phone build for Chrissake. You have to do a Linux version. What do you say AgileBits? I will pay any amount of money you decide to charge for this. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
    Tony

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Tony Tyson‌ as your post doesn't specifically concern any problem with 1P for Mac I've taken the liberty of moving it to the Lounge and merging it into a long thread discussing 1P and Linux.

Stephen

• Tony Tyson
    Tony Tyson
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen...I guess I should have searched for keyword "Linux" before complaining like a noob. Seems like there are some workable solutions for the time being. I'm still a strenuous +1 for a native Linux product.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks. :)

• png2378
    png2378
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux!

• Geovander
    Geovander
    Community Member
    Options

I say chaps - how about a main topic 1Password For Linux.

• I used to use windows and now only use linux - please fixe one password for Linux - so many of my buddies want ti on their Linux PX (not on wine but direct) Sigh
    • George
  • Hey @Geovander‌

Thanks for the feedback! You might not be surprised to hear that Linux support is often requested by our customers. :) We are definitely considering developing 1Password for Linux. I'll go ahead an add your vote.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @png2378‌

• San_Antonio_37
    San_Antonio_37
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux!

(a french user :D )

• Akbar
    Akbar
    Community Member
    Options

I've been shadowing this conversation for a year or two -- I'll throw in my two cents that I'd like a native Linux client as well.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks. :)

• Ixofje
    Ixofje
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a native linux client

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the votes @San_Antonio_37‌ and @Ixofje‌ :)

This discussion has been closed.