New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• circa1977
    circa1977
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, @RichardPayne‌ & @bwoodruff‌ – I'll plan on trying that.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome.

• sxc5324
    sxc5324
    Community Member
    Options

I have some iDevices and have been using eWallet for a long time. 1password looks like a superior product. The only thing preventing me from converting is the lack of native Linux version (Ubuntu). So +1

• kevinriggle
    kevinriggle
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the chorus. I'm currently running 1Password on Ubuntu quite happily in WINE, but a native version would be nicer.

Before I learned that 1Password worked under WINE, the lack of Linux support was the only thing preventing me from moving to it for personal use.

Lack of native Linux support is now the only thing preventing me from recommending 1Password to everyone I know. (It's also the biggest thing I know about preventing us from deploying it to everyone at work.)

• Kato
    Kato
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a veteran OS X and 1Password user and I'd like to add my voice to the chorus too.
    A native version of 1Password for Linux would be fabulous, pretty please. I'd even pay for it – a licence that is, not the development.

• fabioferan
    fabioferan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password for Linux. I used KeePass on Ubuntu and Android, but would like to purchase 1Password for the comments of its members and the possibility of using the Chrome extension.

• robertknight
    robertknight
    Community Member
    Options

Hello folks - I was in the same situation a few months ago. 1Password's iOS app is very convenient for use on my iPhone but I prefer to use Ubuntu on my desktop.

I've been working on an open source web/browser extension-based app that can be used to sync with a 1Password database, browse and edit items on Firefox and Chrome across all desktop platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS). It has gotten to the point them I'm able to use it as my main interface to my database on my Ubuntu system and then use the official apps to autofill logins on my iPhone/Android devices.

If anyone would be interested in trying it out, please let me know via a reply here or a message. At this point I should a) Thank AgileBits for actually documenting their database format to a reasonable extent (unlike all the other commercial tools I know of) and b) Should repeat AgileBits' official recommendation that you only put your master password into software which they have produced - the app/browser extension can be used with a test vault if you wish.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@robertknight do you have it up on github? If so, post the link. I'd be interested in taking a look.

• robertknight
    robertknight
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne - Yes: https://github.com/robertknight/passcards and direct links to addons/web version at http://robertknight.github.io/passcards/ . Few things to be aware of: 1) The Firefox extension is not currently compatible with Nightly builds of Firefox due to an upstream issue. Stable/beta builds of Firefox should work. 2) The only supported sync service is Dropbox.

GitHub's issue tracker is probably the best place to post any feedback, ideas etc.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

As always, it's great to see so much interest in the Linux platform! As @robertknight‌ says though, we do have to reiterate that:

We do not recommend that you enter your Master Password into anything other than 1Password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan that's why I asked for source code. ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne‌

That post was definitely meant for others who might happen upon this thread. I trust that you will be cautious! :)

• mcia
    mcia
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Everyone..

Thanks to the posts in this thread I was able to run 1Password on Linux. It works fine in wine and the firefox browser extension works always. I have problems with the Chrome Extension. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. When I restart chrome several times, I sometimes manage to connect to the 1Password helper.. I can restart the password helper, but this also doesn't change anything..

I have Code signature check switched off and I also have installed the autostart script, which restarts the passwort helper...

Firefox is really stable, it always works.. But chrome almost never... Is the chrome plugin for anybody stable?

The error message in chrome is this one: Try Again.. Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension.
    What does the helper do?
    What might be causing the problem?

Thanks

Btw. an upvote for a Linux version also from me ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@mcia I have no issue with Chrome. What version of Chrome are you running?

• mcia
    mcia
    Community Member
    Options

I am on Version 40.0.2214.93 (64-bit).

• Ben
    Options

I can't use Wine since it conflicts with my ATI Proprietary drivers. Any other way to get 1Password (chrome extension) to work on Ubuntu, besides using the 1PasswordAnywhere Web option??

WINE is the only way I'm aware of, unless you want to run a full Windows environment in something like VirtualBox.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to be common knowledge that ATI's Linus drivers are crap. NVidia is the way to go.

• franky303
    franky303
    Community Member
    Options

Hello guys, we love 1Password and are using it cross plattform between multiple people and also between multiple platform (OSX host machine, multiple windows VMs) with great success.

We are using our own hosted seafile server + folder sync from 1Password. It's really just perfect !!!
    Of course also iOS syncing etc ...

However, we also have developers on Linux in our team, currently they are excluded from this awesome workflow. When will the Linux version be finally available?

Also, it might happen within the next 2-3 years that we will be migrating from OSX/Windows to Linux. - So not only external Developers will be a problem, but this will be a major problem for us.

Please let us know, thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @franky303,

I've merged your post into another thread on the same subject. Thanks.

• looselyrigorous
    looselyrigorous
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I've been using 1Password for quite a while now, and am for the most part satisfied with how well it works. I spend most of my time running Linux however, and am forced to run 1Password under WINE.

It has a few quirks that I am not too comfortable with (Browser Verification has to be disabled, the passwords in the application are not concealed*). A Linux native 1Password would be sweet and if by any chance it comes out I'd seriously consider buying it.

*I don't know if this is a problem from my side or how WINE handles password fields.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @looselyrigorous! I agree WINE is not the ideal solution but it seems to work well enough for most folks to get by. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to look into a native client further.

• Zephyrus
    Zephyrus
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support! My workplace uses 1Password, but I can't use it...

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @Zephyrus.

• enanderle
    enanderle
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to linux. Pleeeeease

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @enanderle ,

Thanks for adding your vote!

• fmi
    fmi
    Community Member
    Options

+1 another vote for a linux client (ubuntu in my case)

• dindihi
    dindihi
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux !

This discussion has been closed.