New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpm-wants-linux: Sorry to see you go! I sincerely hope that we're able to offer a better solution for you in the future.

But I do wonder how one could 'shift' away from 1Password due to lack of Linux support? If you're using Linux, and 1Password doesn't have a Linux version, how were you using 1Password in the first place, and how could you 'come back'? :dizzy:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

But I do wonder how one could 'shift' away from 1Password due to lack of Linux support? If you're using Linux, and 1Password doesn't have a Linux version, how were you using 1Password in the first place, and how could you 'come back'?

Owning more than one device? It's quite these days!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Owning more than one device?

Well, sure. I've got a few myself. I guess maybe just changing platforms permanently? I tend to accumulate, rather than switch. (Cue my wife rolling her eyes.) To each their own. :)

• archsynthe
    archsynthe
    Community Member
    Options

Can we offer some linux support? I am a tech consultant and an avid fan of 1Password, but I frequently hop between my android phone, my macbook pro, and my linux workstation, and lack of linux support is killing me. If someone were to offer up the source for a linux port of your software, would you consider reviewing and including such a thing in your product lineup?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If someone were to offer up the source for a linux port of your software, would you consider reviewing and including such a thing in your product lineup?

@archsynthe: I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but if you're suggesting that someone else would develop 1Password for Linux and AgileBits would officially support it, this isn't really in the cards.

Granted, this may change, but since the beginning we've developed 1Password ourselves for platforms we use daily, so that the energy and passion we put into creating and supporting it is a natural extension of our own experiences. It would be really weird and probably wouldn't turn out well for anyone if we let someone else do all the work. It really wouldn't be 1Password; it would be something very different, no matter how good it was.

We only support the platforms that our software is developed for, and while Linux is not currently on that list, we may pursue it in the future. Thanks for letting us know you want to see a native Linux version of 1Password! :)

• archsynthe
    archsynthe
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I very much appreciate your point of view. However, I know that there have been some attempts to get your software working in a linux environment (in fact, I'm currently using a ruby wrapper around your software for this), and I was just curious what your stance was on the topic. I fervently support a linux version of your software, and hope that you seriously consider adding linux support for your product. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@archsynthe: Our stance is that if you paid for 1Password, you can use it (and your data) however you like. Frankly, we geek out a bit about the unique solutions folks have found for running 1Password in interesting places -- Linux included! :)

I fervently support a linux version of your software, and hope that you seriously consider adding linux support for your product. Cheers!

We love you guys, and I think I speak for all of us at AgileBits when I say that I wish we could have a pedestal raise up out of the floor right now and unveil "1Password for Linux", but no such thing exists. Even if we decided today that we simply have to make it happen, it may be a long time in coming. We support a lot of other platforms and we don't want to neglect them. Nevermind that software development isn't an exact science. We don't even get release dates most of the time. If our desire to reward the passion of all of our devoted Linux fans (in this thread and beyond) was the only consideration, you'd be running it already.

That said, the day may come when we're in a position to take on an all-new platform for 1Password, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of another I'd personally like to see given the AgileBits treatment. I sincerely hope it does, and I'll be in that corner myself on that day. And we'll have this discussion to hold up as Exhibit A to show that Linux users are just as passionate as their OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android brothers and sisters. Peace. :sunglasses:

• robertknight
    robertknight
    Community Member
    Options

@archsynthe If you're willing to help test a third-party solution, I have a Firefox/Chrome add-on that is compatible with 1Password and runs on Linux at http://robertknight.github.io/passcards/ . I'll re-iterate the official AgileBits line that they can only recommend the official version that they develop themselves, but like you I hop between a lot of different platforms, not all of which are supported by the official apps.

• jpm-wants-linux
    jpm-wants-linux
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty surprised you think I am lying about being an existing user of 1password as I plan on shifting to lastpass due to lack of Linux support?

As the other posters pointed out, its because I have multiple devices some of which are on Linux. My work now necessitates me using Linux on a regular basis so it's becoming inconvenient to not have it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@brenty surprised you think I am lying about being an existing user of 1password as I plan on shifting to lastpass due to lack of Linux support?

@jpm-wants-linux: Not at all. Just confused:

If you're using Linux, and 1Password doesn't have a Linux version, how were you using 1Password in the first place, and how could you 'come back'?

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough in my question!

My work now necessitates me using Linux on a regular basis so it's becoming inconvenient to not have it.

This makes perfect sense. I try to understand, so I appreciate the clarification! I can see how that would make things difficult. Thanks again for following up. :)

• jpm-wants-linux
    jpm-wants-linux
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - no problem. If it wasn't such a good app I wouldn't be so frustrated to not have it :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty - no problem. If it wasn't such a good app I wouldn't be so frustrated to not have it :)

@jpm-wants-linux: Understood. And while that is truly a high compliment for us, I'm sorry that you're left at a disadvantage as a result.

• Götz
    Götz
    Community Member
    Options

Would also love to see proper/native Linux support (Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS) support. I’m using 1Pw on my Mac (95% of the time) and sometimes on iOS and sometimes less on Windows test boxes (where it is very valuable, though).

But, customers of mine have mixed heterogenious clients, and currently we use KeePassX, which nearly kills me because of its bad UI and no sync at all. Regularly we lose data because of file locking. The only alternative that’s cross-platform and syncing is UPM. Uber-ugly and not what I’m used to have with 1Password.

So, Linux desktops may not be No1 in the world, but you could provide the only a) nice and b) locally syncing software for it. Please consider it.

• nekojira
    nekojira
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

+1 for Linux support, lastpass has a horrible design and UX - regardless of that I dislike any option that involves storing passwords remotely - I tried http://enpass.io which looks a bit a 1pass clone but it has Linux support. Big drawback they don't offer yet browser extensions, but they say they are on their way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Götz, @nekojira: I hear you. As much as I value functionality, form is just as important to me as well. I feel silly saying it, but I am hard pressed to regularly use apps whose visage offends me.

While we don't have a '1Password for Linux' to announce, making software that is pleasing to the eye is just as important to us as making it pleasant to use; and if we do pursue the Linux platform in the future we'll be sure to apply these in equal measure. Cheers! :)

• nekojira
    nekojira
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think I would pay a little extra to have Linux support. It's fair enough, since when we first purchased it was for Windows / OS X only and nowhere was Linux mentioned. So I can't "demand" for free something that wasn't there in the first place, especially since 1P doesn't have a subscription model, which it's far from appealing from a consumer perspective. Even if a Linux port would be clunky at the beginning I'd be ok with that (in fact I'm using it with Wine but, despite a ugly UI, there are no bugs at all). Windows interface for 1P is not on par with OS X anyway and it was never really a problem. If you ever make an attempt to introduce Linux support and need a beta tester, count me in. In the meanwhile, I think I will stay for a while with a not optimal solution, that is using 1P in Wine and passcard http://robertknight.github.io/passcards/ (buggy but good effort) as a Chrome extension substitute. This is already though a setup that would "offend" you, @brenty and you guys shouldn't allow it! ;) - it really makes a bad portrait of 1Password. Anyway, if Enpass comes out with native extensions, I might as well switch out of necessity.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think I would pay a little extra to have Linux support. It's fair enough, since when we first purchased it was for Windows / OS X only and nowhere was Linux mentioned. So I can't "demand" for free something that wasn't there in the first place, especially since 1P doesn't have a subscription model, which it's far from appealing from a consumer perspective.

@nekojira: Much appreciated! I wish it were as simple (for you or for us!) as 'throwing money at a problem', but above all we need focus. :money:

This is already though a setup that would "offend" you, @brenty :) - Anyway, if Enpass comes out with native extensions, I might as well switch out of necessity.

I hope you didn't think I was singling anyone out with that comment. I meant no 'offense'! :blush:

In my defense, I'll just say that while WINE in an amazing piece of technology, like many similarly ambitious efforts, it ain't pretty. And that's okay; that isn't it's purpose! I hope that someday we'll be able to offer 'the best of both worlds' on Linux as well! :pirate:

• Robbzilla
    Robbzilla
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to give your company money. But I can't. WINE isn't a valid solution. I guess it's Keepass for me. Too bad, your product looks pretty slick. But my corporate laptop, and one of my home machines are Linux, and I'm not really interested in a product that doesn't support this platform at this time.

No response is needed, but I wanted to let you know that I'm not buying your program for this very specific reason.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@Robbzilla

WINE isn't a valid solution. I guess it's Keepass for me.

Frankly I don't seeing Keepass as a valid solution either. Browser integration is ropey (never actually got it to work) and provided by a third party plugin. Support is poor.

• calebwalker
    calebwalker
    Community Member
    Options

I am amazed at how active this list is. When I signed up I thought I'd be one of few requesting Linux support but the turn out is great! But still we are ignored.

• cognifloyd
    cognifloyd
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux support.

I'm now using a shared team vault, and had to figure out how to use it on my Gentoo Linux machine. WINE is okay. I'm surprised it works as well as it does. But I'd really prefer to something more native, or perhaps even a chrome app that asks for permission to access my dropbox. Heck, I'd even use a java app if that allowed me to skip WINE.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am amazed at how active this list is. When I signed up I thought I'd be one of few requesting Linux support but the turn out is great! But still we are ignored.

@calebwalker: Not at all. Please do not confuse 'ignoring' with 'we don't have the resources to pursue an all-new (for us) platform at this time'. If you were all being ignored, I wouldn't bother reading this right now; and we certainly wouldn't consider this a project for the future either. It's definitely something we'd like to do, but we're simply not willing to do so at the expense of the platforms we already support. Perhaps in the future, with more pilons, the equation may be different.

When I asked my wife to take the weekend off work, she listened; but with everything she's got on her plate right now that isn't feasible either. ;)

WINE is okay. I'm surprised it works as well as it does.

@cognifloyd: Amen to that! It's a marvel.

But I'd really prefer to something more native, or perhaps even a chrome app that asks for permission to access my dropbox. Heck, I'd even use a java app if that allowed me to skip WINE.

I'm not going to lie: I'm a little relived that this isn't a project we can tackle right now, because there are so many options; choosing would be a tough decision.

Hopefully in time we'll be in a better position to take on something new. I just know that none of us at AgileBits want to do a new platform if we're not able to fully commit so we can do it right.

• lyschoening
    lyschoening
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this request.

I am mostly a Mac user and have been using 1Password for years, but I now use Ubuntu for about half of my work. If Linux support isn't added soon I may be on the lookout for something else. If quality is the issue, have a look at your Android app. It isn't the greatest implementation either right now -- but it works and that is all we ask for.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your vote! :) :+1:

• BobCarpenter
    BobCarpenter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to this thread, I got to know about Enpass.io, it looks perfect for my requirement;
    But the best feature of Enpass.io has cited a major security concern for 1Password for me;
    See 1Password makes the full Dropbox access , whereas Enpass only uses its own folder, I have handful of other apps which has access to only their own folders on Dropbox.

Can I report this as a security bug somewhere ? or will be taken care of from this comment.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@BobCarpenter they know about the full access dropbox thing. It's a result of them being around the longest. Originally there weren't app specific data silos and so the customer could store their vault anywhere. In order to streamline the process they needed full access to search for it.

The trouble is that changing to the app specific folder model will break many existing user setups. I agree that's it's something that needs to be done but I understand why they're reticent about doing it.

• BobCarpenter
    BobCarpenter
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne Thanks for enlightening me, I'll be more than happy to read from AgileBits on this. Also I am hoping there can be some advance users flag to opt for specific Dropbox folder. I've sure experienced some apps of this nature in past which faced difficulties for the same use case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@BobCarpenter: Not to mention that a lot of folks like to use custom folder structures in Dropbox, so 1Password wouldn't be able to find (or access) any vault that falls outside any restrictions.

Especially with multiple vaults, full access means you can have different vaults in different folders till the cows come home. RichardPayne is correct: since 1Password has supported Dropbox for such a long time, many people are used to this freedom. :)

• BobCarpenter
    BobCarpenter
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I think I understand the given legacy consideration, so are you confirming this as a won't fix (wrt. specific Dropbox folder access instead FULL) ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobCarpenter: Well, since it is working as intended, it isn't something that we plan on changing; that said, any time Dropbox makes changes to their API or we evaluate 1Password's sync features, we take all of this into consideration. Certainly we don't have anything to announce, but we'll have to consider if we need to integrate with Dropbox differently going forward.

This discussion has been closed.