New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• ashneo76
    ashneo76
    Community Member
    Options

Can we get the Linux support? I don't care for windows. Or it's variants.

• rpbaptist
    rpbaptist
    Community Member
    Options

A Linux app would be good. You mention level of quality, but having a very basic and simple app would be infinite better quality than no app at all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashneo76 and @rpbaptist ,

Thanks so much for letting us know you're interested in seeing 1Password for Linux!

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux support. deb-based package :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

+1 for linux support. deb-based package :)

@Borz: Ut oh. I know we're gonna hear it from the rpm crowd if we do that! :lol:

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I agree and a tar archive, but there was a native version for Linux :) through Wine somewhat inconvenient to use ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Point taken. ;)

• yarn
    yarn
    Community Member
    Options

Please consider supporting Linux at some point in the future. It doesn't even have to have a UI, I'll take anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yarn: No promises, but it's something that we continue to consider. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested!

But for some reason I always pictured The Sleeper of R'lyeh as more of a FreeBSD devotee. :unamused:

• nod
    nod
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support.
    I join the group of people who would gladly benefited from version to Linux, especially Debian based.
    It may be the console version for the beginning ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It may be the console version for the beginning ;)

@nod: I'm not sure that would really be our style, but we'll certainly take it under advisement! ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@nod: I'm not sure that would really be our style, but we'll certainly take it under advisement! ;)

No, but it would be an easy way into the market. Not having a gui save a lot of development time and so long as it interacts with the existing browser extensions then it wouldn't be a huge loss.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No, but it would be an easy way into the market.

@RichardPayne: Fair enough. But I suspect that if we were willing to settle for 'easy' we would have done a Linux CLI version a long time ago. :sunglasses:

• nod
    nod
    Community Member
    Options

I understand, but from my perspective: console version + API and you already solved the problem I have ;)
    Now I have two tools which ultimately serve the same and I have to take care myself to enter data into both.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@nod, do you know that you can use WINE to run 1Password for Windows. It's almost fully functional (Ctrl+\ key handling and "auto-lock when workstation is locked" being the missing features I've found).

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne 1Password under Wine - turd, but better than other password managers.
    For example do not work directly copy-paste text from the editing dialog - only preview the card. Or the fact that half of the icons of sites not listed, although they are visible editing dialog.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@borz direct fill in the browser works fine for me. no need to copy and paste.

I've also not seen the icon issue. Have you filed a bug report with WINE?

• Borz
    Borz
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne I use 1Password Beta Version for Wine - in what forum to write? "1Password > Windows" or "1Password Betas > Windows Desktop" or "Lounge"?

• celso
    celso
    Community Member
    Options

I'm moving from Windows to Xubuntu, so another "vote" for the Linux support. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@borz there is no beta version right now so any 1Password questions on the Windows version should be sent to the main Windows forum.

That said, I did not mean for you to try to raise a support tickey with Agilebits. The 1Password software works fine on Windows and so, by definition, any issues that you're having running it under WINE are a bug in WINE itself and should be raised on their bugtracker.

https://bugs.winehq.org/

Do post the link to your bug report here though. Whilst Agilebits don't support WINE directly, @MikeT has been willing to help them out with any technical eetails on how 1Password works that they might need to diagnose the fault.

• thomasfr
    thomasfr
    Community Member
    Options

+1 (at least) for Linux support! This is a real deal breaker for us now and it was a deal breaker in previous companies i worked for. Some use Windows, some Mac and some Linux.
    Are there any plans?

• michaelhettegger
    michaelhettegger
    Community Member
    Options

I would really appreciate a linux version.

• gruzilla
    gruzilla
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for linux support!

in the companies i worked for the IT opted for other solutions because of no linux support, and in my current job its a problem once again..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@celso, @thomasfr, @michaelhettegger, @gruzilla: While we don't currently have anything to announce, we appreciate you letting us know you'd like to see 1Password for Linux, in case we tackle this platform in the future. Thanks for your interest! :)

• BradHorn
    BradHorn
    Community Member
    Options

+100 for linux support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think we're still limiting it to one vote per person, but thanks for your interest! ;)

• cnichols7
    cnichols7
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Passing on 1pass until there is linux support :( even the simplest of solutions or a supported api for people to hack an OSS solution around would be sufficient

AgileBits Edit: Please don't advertise for our competitors. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'd do the same if I used Linux full time.

For the record, the desktop versions of 1Password actually do support CSV and TXT export in addition to 1PIF.

It's perfectly reasonable to use the tool that best fits your needs...but we don't have ads on our forums for a reason. Thanks! ;)

• mondele
    mondele
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to the votes for a Linux version. Wondering if the Android version could work as a codebase? The day is coming, and now is, that many people are leaving the big 2 OS and moving to Linux of various flavors. There are free password managers on Mac OS and Windows, too, but somehow I keep paying for 1Password.

• rcuddy
    rcuddy
    Community Member
    Options

Created account just to chime in here, since you seem to actually be tracking people's requests! I am in the progress of migrating back to linux as primary OS as I am a web dev and just find Linux the easiest platform to do dev in. I have a large database of passwords I use for work and personal and really don't want to try to fight a battle of work arounds to get this working in *nix! Came to 1password from Keepass / Keepass X and have no interest in going back there!

Thanks for the consideration anyway!

This discussion has been closed.