Bug: Losing passwords when editing entry instead of saving.

Options
misaka
misaka
Community Member

Hi there AgileBits Peeps,

Not sure if that title does the issue justice, but I wanted to bring up an issue I see when trying to edit a new entry while saving it. I recently changed my password for my work account on google.com using a random password generated by 1Password, and I got the usual dialog to let me save the password (see step 1 screenshot). I then realised that I needed to edit the login information, so instead of hitting 'Update' I hit the gear in the bottom left and hit 'Edit Login in 1Password' (see step 2 screenshot).

Finally, I edited the entry in 1Password and quickly realised that the password saved there was the old one and not the new one ... I had effectively lost the new password that had been generated by 1Password.

I'm not quite sure if this is a bug or just a usability issue, but I really think there should be some mechanism for preventing me from losing a newly generated password ... it would have been nice if the new password was either stored somewhere for me since I decided not to update the login, or maybe there could be a button to update and edit.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the problem but did you check the Passwords category to see if the password you generated was there? That category stores passwords not specifically linked to a saved login.

I know that's the not the real answer to the problem you had (apparent loss of password when editing a new login) but at least it should mean the new password wasn't lost.

Stephen

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @misaka,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Edit Does Not Update

Offhand, I can see why the item wasn't updated with the new password if you didn't actually click the "Update" button but rather decided instead to edit the item. I can see the benefit of an "update and edit" feature, but this is a pretty small edge case I think.

For now, the best thing to do would be to update the item and then edit it. Once you've updated it, editing it is pretty easy: ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini, then ⌘E to edit it right in 1Password mini or ⇧⌘E to edit in the main 1Password app.

Thanks for mentioning this, though! I'll bring it up with the team for review.

Generated Password Item Not Created

A generated password item should be created every time you click the "Fill" button in generator.

It should show up in the "History for example.com" section when you are viewing example.com in your browser.

A complete list of generated passwords can be found in the Passwords category in the sidebar in the main 1Password app.

From there you should be able to copy the password. (⇧⌘C is the keyboard shortcut to copy the password of any selected item in 1Password and 1Password mini.)

If you're able to reproduce an issue with the item not being created when you click the "Fill" button, or if you're having further trouble, please let me know. I'm happy to dig deeper until all is resolved.

This discussion has been closed.