Keyboard Shortcuts and Quick Fill -- How do you use 1Password?

Options
bz101
bz101
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi,

I have been searching for the best password management app for Mac and have been using LastPass for a while. But with all the comparisons and positive reviews of Dashlane and 1Password I thought I'd give them a try. I'm struggling with 1Password so I figured I would give them forums a shot.

I did search through the forums so did find the (unfortunate) answer to my questions. It doesn't look like I can do anything similar to LastPass's Fill Profile (i.e., quick fill in name/address identity info and credit card info in one), Dashlane's auto-fill and auto-submit (i.e., if there is only one UID/PWD it'll fill it in and submit automatically without any keypresses) or Dashlane's click inside the form field and it brings up options of identities, credit cards, password, etc. that fit making those applications very quick in my opinion.

Unless I'm missing something I constantly have to bring up the mini-dialogue via option-command-\ then use the arrow keys to navigate to the identity and then hit enter. If I am buying something I have to do it 3x (once for the password, once for the billing/shipping info from an identity and then again for credit card). Even though I added a few items for identities and cards into favorites, it seems like a lot of keypresses. Having a default identity and credit card with a keyboard shortcut along with the in-line pop-up choices of Dashlane seems much more user friendly and quick which is one of the main draws of a password manager.

I'm curious how others use 1Password efficiently so I can learn best practices and see if it works for me. With all the positive reviews, it coming from Mac roots (me too) and what seems like what started as a small group of good developers and grown into a big software (definitely a fan of those stories) ... I want to like 1Password more than I do.

FYI on a Mac with Yosemite GM and using the latest 1Password beta for compatibility.

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @bz101,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in to us with your questions! I'm so glad you're looking into 1Password to keep your digital life secure and organized.

Clearly, being an AgileBits employee, I'm slightly biased here. Also, since I've never used Dashlane or LastPass, I'm unfamiliar with their workflow and unable to do a proper comparison, but I'll let you know about how I find 1Password's workflow.

You are correct, filling in 1Password does require invoking 1Password Mini. However, with URL matching, the Login item that I need is always at the top of the list. For identities and credit cards, my most-used are marked as favourites, so again, they're right at the top of the list when I need them. I'd like to think that once you get used to the flow of things in 1Password it will become more user-friendly and intuitive.

One of the other cool things about 1Password Mini is the Go and Fill feature. So I never type in the URL of a site that I have a saved Login for. I use ⌘\ (_Command-\ _) to open 1Password Mini, then start typing the title of the Login I want to use. When it's highlighted, I just hit 'Enter' and 1Password opens the site and fills my details. It's one of my favourite time-saving features of 1Password.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• bz101
    bz101
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip on the Go & Fill. That can definitely be handy. I also didn't realize the mini defaults to the login when you invoke it from a site's login page. So that helps a lot.

Still not as easy as auto-fill, so can I make a few suggestions:

• have a global option "[x] Auto-fill & submit password" which means that if you are on a login page and there is only one login in 1Password it should just fill it in and submit automatically.

• for form fields, it's much easier to click in a box and have options pop-up of which identity or credit card to use.

You should check out Dashlane for sure -- it's always good to know the competition and it does those two things very, very well (even showing you little images of the credit cards).

Thanks for your response! Customer service is often as important as the software itself.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bz101,

Thanks so much for the follow-up here, and the suggestions! We're always looking for ways to make 1Password more user-friendly, and it's great to know what users want to see. :)

I'm not quite sure I'll take you up on your advice to check out Dashlane - I'm glad to hear that they have some features that you find useful, but in general, we try not to define ourselves based on "the competition". Our features are built based on popular user requests (and things that we think would be really cool, of course!)

In any case, I hope that you enjoy 1Password - and we're always here if you have more questions, or suggestions for more improvements!

This discussion has been closed.