iOS8 - 1Password for OSX 10.9 -- No Backward Compatibility? OSX passwords no longer sync

Options
robnbill
robnbill
Community Member

Our OSX devices no longer sync. We use iCloud. Had to use 1Password 5 for iOS 8 with iCloud. The iOS devices sync between themselves. But iCloud OSX devices simply no longer sync.

It seems you are offering zero backward compatibility. The pop up window when you start 1Pwd from an iOS device says something about requiring OSX 10.10 AND iP5 in order to sync.

If i read your blog correctly you will need iOS 8 AND OSX 10.10 with 1PWD 5 in order to allow syncing across all the devices.

No notification - no backwards compatibility. I wonder how many logins will now be totally hosed. Bad - Very Bad.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robnbill,

I'm so sorry that the information about iCloud syncing wasn't made clearer for you and has been disrupted with iOS 8 and 1Password 5 upgrades. You do have the option of at least temporary using Dropbox or Wi-Fi syncing until Yosemite is released. I'm personally using both right now, with different systems/devices.

This posting has more details about the changes:

Attention all iCloud users! (Important changes in 1Password 5, OS X 10.10 and iOS 8)

If you do want to use Dropbox or Wi-Fi syncing, please let us know if you need any help with setting that up and we'll be happy to assist! And I'd again like to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

• robnbill
    robnbill
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks - appreciate your post. There are three OSX devices and three iOS devices. All iOS are on 8.02, OSX all 0n 10.9.4. Which is the best approach for the interim? I'm thinking Wifi since the devices are more often on the same wifi network then not. ONE MORE THING - will 1Password mediate the differences between the OSX versions and the iOS versions of the files??

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @robnbill,

Thank you for the followup and additional information.

With six total systems/devices, my first choice with be Dropbox syncing. There's a bit more initial setup, then it's automatic. Currently, Wi-Fi syncing needs to be manually initiated each time and attachments won't be synced.

If you prefer Dropbox, start by configuring it on your Macs and then your iOS devices. These guides have step-by-step instructions:

For Mac: Switching to Dropbox

For iOS: Switching to Dropbox

You might want to look those over before making changes so you're familiar with the process, which won't lose data.

And if you'd rather go with Wi-Fi, here's the guide for that:

Switching to Wi-Fi sync

As mentioned above, attachments currently aren't synced (a fix is in the works) but they won't be lost.

If any questions or issues come up, before and/or after, we're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.