In Master Password field, some keys might not work [Possible iOS 8 issue; try restarting app]

Options
cmookherjee
cmookherjee
Community Member
edited November 2014 in iOS

I'm on an iPad 2, 1Password 5.0.1, iOS 8.0.2. Four times in about the last week or so (twice today!), I have gone to enter my master password and found that almost a third of the keys on the right side of the keyboard do not respond in either letter or number input mode. This is immediately noticeable because my master password needs some of those keys. :) The first time this happened, I went in and out of 1Password several times to see if the keyboard would somehow work correctly, but it wouldn't. Rather than assume it was a 1Password problem, I tried the keyboard elsewhere, including to search my iPad as a test. All keys responded just fine outside of 1Password. The only way I've been able to recover keyboard use in 1Password is to reboot my iPad when this happens. I haven't detected any pattern that would indicate this keyboard issue is reproducible. It seems random.

AgileBits Update:

If you are having this issue, please restart 1Password after closing it:

iOS: Force an app to close (Apple article).
And if you're able to consistently reproduce this we'd appreciate hearing how you do it. Thank you! :)

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am not sure whether this is an iOS 8 bug or a problem with 1Password 5, so I thought I'd mention it to see if others have observed the same thing.

Sometimes 1Password will stop accepting input into the master password field of the lock screen. It doesn't help to wait. The application never becomes responsive after it stops. The only way I've been able to regain control is to exit and then remove 1Password from the multitask list by swiping it up and off the screen. Then upon restarting, it behaves normally.

As I said, I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the application or the OS. I have also found that Safari will sometimes stop loading web pages and can only be reactivated is to quit it in the same manner and restarting.

I have tried resetting my iPad and deleting all settings for the entire device in the iOS settings. Neither seems to produce a permanent solution.

• Hi @hawkmoth‌

For what it is worth I have not seen either of these issues on any of my devices (iPhone 5S w/ iOS 8, iPhone 6 w/ iOS 8, iPad mini w/ iOS 8, iPad 4G w/ iOS 7). Granted, I'm not a very heavy user on iOS... I almost always have my Mac with me.

Something with your device, perhaps? Do you have other devices experiencing these issues?

Ben

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff‌ - I haven't seen the same issue on my iPhone 5s. But I use it less often and have Touch ID set for access to 1Password, so I don't know how informative that comparison is.

I'll keep watching. As I said, I'm inclined to look to iOS 8 as the culprit.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had some temporary trouble entering the Master Password with 1Password 5.0 on my iPad 2. The app never fully locked up (or I didn't wait long enough for that to happen), but only certain tapped characters were accepted (although not quite like what @friendly reported). Worked fine again after quitting and relaunching. Haven't noticed it again with 5.0.1, but since I'm currently using a PIN Code I haven't been entering my MP too often.

If there's any future problem with MP entry I'll be attentive to getting more specific details.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As I think about it, I don't think I've seen this hang in version 5.0.1. If it returns, I'll post back.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @hawkmoth. I'm sure we both hope neither of us will be back again later to post about this problem. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk - I need to resurrect this thread to add some additional information, I'm sorry to say. I've had more failures to accept keyboard input on the master password screen on my iPad, but I now know a bit more about how that manifests itself.

Only certain keys go dead when this happens. They are all on the far right of the keyboard. Starting with the top row, they are: o, p, backspace. Second row: l (lower case el), Go. Third row: period, Caps, sometimes, but not always, comma. Fourth row: .?123, collapse keyboard. I haven't remembered to check the capital letter equivalents, which I could have activated with the left Caps key, even though the right one is dead. I'll check that the next time this happens to me. I've shortened the interval between times the master password is require to enhance chances of seeing it again.

This has happened to me twice in the past two days, and I'd bet that the problem as I originally reported it was the same too because the first word in my pass phrase uses one of these keys as its first entry.

The only way I have found to clear the log jam is to force quit 1Password and restart it. This is an intermittent problem, but if it happens to me, these have always been the symptoms. It likely will be a nasty one to track down. I haven't seen this in any other applications, so I haven't decided to blame iOS, but I couldn't rule that out either.

iOS 8.02, 1Password 5.01, iPad Air. Landscape orientation. (I haven't seen this on my iPhone, and I rarely use portrait orientation on my iPad.)

I checked my keyboard settings in iOS. They are the iOS 8 defaults as far as I know. English QWERTY, Emoji. All of the following are On: Auto Capitalization, Auto-Correction, Check Spelling, Enable Caps Lock, Predictive, Split Keyboard, . Shortcut.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

I've talked with one of our devs about this, and he seems to think that something like this would be an OS issue and not a 1Password issue. Just to confirm - you can't reproduce this when using the landscape keyboard in any other apps? Also, if you rotate to portrait mode in the Master Password screen, does the keyboard behave properly?

Thanks for helping us track this one down!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

@Megan - I haven't seen this in any other application. It's really hard to confirm that something intermittent like this never happens, but I will rotate to portrait orientation for every login for awhile to see whether the freeze up ever happens that way.

I'm trying to think whether I actually have any applications besides1Password that has an analogous password entry field. Can you folks suggest an analog that I could use to see if this occurs elsewhere?

• I'm seeing exactly the same thing as hawkmoth on my Ipad2. The far right hand side of the keyboard is non responsive and the app seems to hang. I've tried using the keyboard functions on other apps and they all seem to be fine, so it does appear to be a problem with 1Password

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the information about this intermittent issue with partial keyboard failure during Master Password entry; a bug report has been filed. Once we're able to reproduce it and isolate the cause we should know what can be done to fix it. This could turn out to be an iOS 8 bug that's being triggered by 1Password. Or purely a 1Password bug.

I'm trying to think whether I actually have any applications besides1Password that has an analogous password entry field. Can you folks suggest an analog that I could use to see if this occurs elsewhere?

Offhand I don't know, @hawkmoth, so I'll have to check on that and get back with you. Or maybe one that @IanH has used would be in that category:

I've tried using the keyboard functions on other apps and they all seem to be fine, so it does appear to be a problem with 1Password

ref: CSI-20

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk - Is a password entry field different from, say, a text entry field like the one I'm using to compose this forum response? Or a Pages document? I think it must be, because I've seen comments somewhere in the forums from AgileBits folks that discuss how keyboard entry is secured in 1Password. That security wouldn't be needed in other kinds of text entry fields. That's why I was trying to think of another application that uses the came iOS security functions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

I don't know all the details about what happens behind the scenes with password fields, but I do know that in general they enable 'Secure Input'. On the Mac, this means that apps that do text-expanding are disabled. On iOS it means that the OS uses the default keyboard (no fancy keyboards allowed here to ensure that there are no malicious key loggers hidden there).

So, I would think then, that any app that requires you to log in (Evernote, social media apps, for example) should use the same keyboard for the password field. I'll do some further testing here, but I'm not able to reproduce this issue yet.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I hope you see this, but it is intermittent and not all that frequent of an occurrence. I'm going to post my report at the Apple feedback site too.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @cmookherjee‌,

That's unusual because we don't actually handle the keyboard input. For security reasons, we set your master password field to be a secure type, which means iOS 8 will restrict it to its secure keyboard entry only.

When you type elsewhere, it goes into the general keyboard mode and you can even switch to a custom keyboard, so you're not exactly using the same keyboard.

If you enter into a password field in Mobile Safari, it'll switch to the secure keyboard mode (you might notice your custom keyboard won't show up). In fact, can you try this and see if the keyboard is responsive in the password field in Mobile Safari?

• Sakofox
    Sakofox
    Community Member
    Options

I also have an ipad2 and I get this issue with Boxer Mail and Facebook, my wife has an iPad 3 and she has had this issue so I am assuming it is an iOS 8.0.2 problem

• cmookherjee
    cmookherjee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MikeT. I tried logging in to a site in Mobile Safari just now, and it worked just fine. I saw no difference in the keyboard, but then I don't use a custom one. Just about an hour ago, I again ran into the same keyboard problem when trying to enter my master password in 1Password and had to reboot my iPad. When that happens again (as it seems likely to), I will try Mobile Safari before rebooting.

@Sakofox - I'm pretty sure I was still on iOS 8.0 the first time this happened, but the now four additional occurrences have been in iOS 8.0.2 (I skipped 8.0.1).

• Hi guys,

@Sakofox, thanks for sharing your experience with us, it is very helpful.

@cmookherjer, from what you said, it sounds like you should be able to reproduce it once you see the issue in 1Password and switch to a site with a password field inside Mobile Safari. From what I've seen, iOS 8.0.2 doesn't improve everything, just a minor list of bug fixes, and they probably are going to include most of the critical bug fixes in the upcoming iOS 8.1 update.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've reported similar behavior on my iPad Air. I haven't seen it again in the past couple of days, but I've been away from using it so much. I have yet to see it in another application, but if it's happening in Boxer Mail and Facebook to @Sakofox‌, I'm inclined now to look toward iOS 8 as the culprit.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

They're related to the same issue, so I've merged both threads into the same thread. As far as we can tell, this is an issue with iOS 8 and secure keyboard entry.

Please file a bug report with Apple if you're a developer and if not, sending in the feedback here will help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I already made a report to the Apple feedback page. I never know if that helps. Do you think they would read the thread if I reported a link to it?

• Hi @hawkmoth,

It'd be better to use the link as a reference on the bottom of the email but the feedback itself should be focused on the core issue, which is you're noticing the keyboard input doesn't work on secure fields like the master password of the 1Password app and other apps you may have noticed.

If Apple needs to follow up, they will.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@cmookherjee‌ - You can regain access to the keyboard without rebooting. Just force quit 1Password by double clicking the home button and flicking 1Password upward and off the screen. When you restart it, the keyboard will resume behaving. At least that's true for me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmookherjee,

I hope @hawkmoth's suggested workaround for this issue also works okay for you. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

This is only to report that I filed feedback with Apple earlier today. I mentioned 1Password and the report about Boxer Mail and Facebook. I provided a link to this thread.

• Hi @hawkmoth, that's great, thanks!

• cmookherjee
    cmookherjee
    Community Member
    Options

I waited to check back in until the problem recurred, which it did early this morning.

@MikeT, after the problem recurred today in 1Password, I switched to mobile Safari and attempted to log in to one of my online accounts. The keyboard worked just fine, and I was able to log in manually. (This was BEFORE I reset 1Password.)

@hawkmoth, I was able to reset 1Password without rebooting my iPad, using your suggestion. Thanks!

I just updated to 1Password 5.1 this morning when I was alerted that it was available. We'll see how it goes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmookherjee‌

I hope that things have continued to behave nicely for you ... but if anything acts up again - do let us know! :)

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on iPad 4 iOS 8.0.2 1Password v5.1

Oh no. I'm experiencing the unresponsive far right keys. This is happening on a global scale in 1Password while doing any type of keyboard input: in the add/edit an item screen, even in the built-in 1Browser. Whenever the keyboard comes up while in 1Password, the far right keys are unresponsive. This is happening only in 1Password.

All the exact same keys as mentioned by @hawkmoth in post#8 go unresponsive, but for me it's on a global scale while in 1Password.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

All the exact same keys as mentioned by @hawkmoth in post#8 go unresponsive, but for me it's on a global scale while in 1Password.

Since I've never been able to gain access to 1Password when this happened, I haven't ever been able to discover that it might be global within the application. I had previously been prompted for my master password periodically, and because the first letter of my pass phrase is one of the offending keys, I haven't gotten inside when this was an issue. Now that the PIN is the normal way to unlock, perhaps I'll see the same issue within 1Password. I'll watch.

This discussion has been closed.