In Master Password field, some keys might not work [Possible iOS 8 issue; try restarting app]

Options
124»

Comments

• KeenanMD
    KeenanMD
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for iOS won't allow me to enter the 0 (zero) character in my password to unlock 1Password. I can type my password in another app, copy, and paste it but keyboard won't type 0 (zero). No similar problem with same app and data file on my iPhone.

• smwardle
    smwardle
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

The keyboard is broken.
    In portrait mode only part of the keyboard is displayed.
    The keys that aren't displayed in portrait mode are displayed but not recognised in landscape mode.
    This also affects all text entry in the 1password web browser.
    This is the same problem as in thread "Keyboard location shifted, unusable" Started by bkidder, 3:45 PM.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30672/keyboard-location-shifted-unusable#latest

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you want to have even more fun with the iOS bug, you could also read through this thread.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Two days ago I decided to see what would happen about this bug if I deleted all settings. I'm here to report that this bug has been completely absent since then. I report this here because I don't have a developers access to Apple. Maybe one who does could mention this in case it's helpful. I gather this bug doesn't affect everyone. Whatever the root cause, I'll be glad if this ended it for me.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I got another day of respite, but a few minutes ago, this bug bit me again. So clearing setting might have helped temporarily, but not for good.

• deh2k
    deh2k
    Community Member
    Options

When I got the bug today I tried switching to portrait orientation. The screen rotated but did not reformat. The keyboard stayed the size of the landscape mode with the non-functioning keys chopped off the right side of the screen.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry to hear your success with eradicating this bug didn't last, @hawkmoth. Thanks for giving that a try!

Post #39 has an example of the truncated keyboard in portrait orientation, @deh2k. And here's mine:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkidder, I merged your message into this thread as it sounds like the same problem. You can take a look through some of the comments on this and previous pages in the thread for more information. To summarize, this appears to be a bug in iOS 8 (one of our developers has filed a bug report with Apple about it). It also happens in some other apps.

There are a few things you can try to get the keyboard working, at least temporarily:

• Double-click the Home button and swipe up on 1Password to close it, then reopen it.

• If that doesn't help, restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

• If the problem is happening in landscape mode, try reopening the app in portrait mode (or vice versa).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeenanMD and @smwardle, I merged your messages into this thread for the same problem. Please take a look through the messages in this thread for more info, and/or read my previous message with a summary and a few suggestions. Thanks!

• AfriCola
    AfriCola
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi,

some keys on the right side (examples: P,p, Ü,ü, Enter, Ö, ö, Ä, ä, ß, +, =, 9, 0, @) does not work after update to 5.1.1. I have a german keyboard-layout (German, QWERTZ).

My password contain "+" and "9"! And now? Sorry, this is a stupid bug! With the version before, the keybord works.

André

// iPad 4, iOS 8.1 (12B410)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is an iOS bug. Read about it in this thread (and in the further thread linked in that thread).

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AfriCola, I merged your message into this thread for the same issue. It may help to look through the messages in this thread for more info, and/or read my suggestions in post #99. Thanks!

• bbohanna
    bbohanna
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Force quit clears it up for a while.

• Bill51
    Bill51
    Community Member
    Options

I installed 1PW on my iPad 2 after doing so on my PC. The PC version is excellent but the iPad version takes up screen space and does nothing. Tonight I couldn't even login because it does not recognise some keys on the iPad keyboard. Since I use the iPad all the time 1PW i s rapidly wearing out my patience and its welcome.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbohanna,

I'm sorry to hear you're also having this problem. As you may have learned from the other messages in this thread, this appears to be an iOS bug, and our developers have contacted Apple about it. Force-quitting the app usually helps, as you've noticed. I posted a couple other suggestions in post #99, in case you haven't already seen that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill51, I moved your message to this thread, because it sounds like the same problem.

The short answer is that the keyboard problem you described is actually an iOS issue, and our developers have contacted Apple about it. Please feel free to read through other messages in this thread for more information. There are also a few suggestions in post #99.

It's a frustrating issue, but I do hope this helps!

• manfrommars
    manfrommars
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've found that if the app is running in the background and I return to it, parts of the on-screen keyboard are unresponsive when logging into the app. Rotating the ipad results in the onscreen keyboard becoming distorted.

• Hi @manfrommars‌,

I've merged your thread into this bigger one about the same issue. This is an iOS 8 issue that we've told Apple about. Right now, the workaround is to force-quit the app and open it again to get the keyboard fixed.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

iOS 8.1.1 did not cure this problem. Does anyone know if Apple is even on this?

• @hawkmoth We have submitted a bug report to Apple and are waiting to hear back. We'll let you know if we hear anything.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni - Thanks for the followup. I hope having a report from a developer will carry more weight than if I filed a third feedback report.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm wondering if this problem has gone away? I haven't experienced it (yet), since last week's updates to iOS and 1Password. It would be great to have nothing but silence to this question!

• Momjian
    Momjian
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem described in this thread - dead keys on right side of keyboard. My wife and I use Microsoft Office 365 subscription which we love, Word, Excel, OneNote, OneDrive, work very well, unfortunately Outlook has the same problem. This happens to both of us. When we reply to an email message the right hand keys on iPad do not function. Will be opening a case with Microsoft to find out if they have a solution. I have an iPad Air 2, my wife has an iPad air both running version 8.1.3.

Editorial: Since this issue is happening in a handful of apps (Boxer, 1Password, Outlook 365) I suspect it's app problem rather than OS problem - Sloppy programming probably.

• Momjian
    Momjian
    Community Member
    Options

There is a simple workaround for Outlook 365. Simply rotate it from landscape to portrait and back.

• IanMcGowan
    IanMcGowan
    Community Member
    Options

Just to chime in and a) confirm that this is a general problem on iOS (I got here through a google search, I don't use 1Password), and b) thank everyone for the workarounds - I thought I was going crazy. Next time I will try the rotate trick, which is a lot quicker than force closing and restarting outlook and google hangouts...

This discussion has been closed.