In Master Password field, some keys might not work [Possible iOS 8 issue; try restarting app]

Options

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @johnny808,

Thanks for your report of this bug. Sorry that it's bitten you now, too.

Did it happen the first time you tried using the keyboard after unlocking 1Password? Was it with the landscape keyboard, and had you rotated between portrait and landscape in 1Password before and/or after the trouble started? While the keyboard was still malfunctioning did you try switching to another application, use the keyboard there (did it work okay?), then switch back to 1Password to see if that would clear the problem there?

Any additional information you have that could help to reproduce this is appreciated!

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, I found a quick fix for the sudden unresponsive far right keys. I simply completely close 1Password by double-tapping on the iPad home button to reveal the currently running apps, and then dragging up the 1Password window until it dissapears. Then, I re-launch 1Password and it will all be fine.

No. It didn't happen after I first unlocked 1Password. It happened suddenly down the line of normal use. My iPad is locked in landscape mode. Switching to another working app and then back to 1Password did not fix the issue. Only completely closing 1Password and re-launching did.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

not sure where things are on this, but I've had this happen 3-4 times on me as well. Same as reported elsewhere, iPad mini retina - right side of keyboard doesn't work in master password field. Force-quit 1P brings it back.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

A few minutes ago I encountered this problem once more. I was using my iPad in landscape orientation. When the right side of the keyboard froze this time, I decided to see whether the problem would clear if I rotated to portrait. When I did that, the display was scrambled in a weird way, with the keyboard running off the screen to the right and the password entry field below, instead of above, the keyboard. I captured a screen shot to show what I mean. When the keyboard is working and I rotate this way, the display isn't scrambled like this.

I've noticed this one other time, but I neglected to make a screen capture.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The same thing has happened again this morning.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

I actually saw that on my iPad Air a few times and filed a bug report a while ago. Our developer confirmed it was an iOS 8 bug and there isn't a way around it at the moment. If you restart 1Password or rotate it a few times, does it fix itself?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@MikeT‌ - It gets fixed if you force quit 1Password and restart it. Until whenever the bug rears its head the next time. Remember that this is tied to the dead keys on the far right side of the keyboard.

I'm glad to hear that a developer is reporting this to Apple. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the feedback channel they provide to ordinary people. I'll stop filing reports here, though, since more of this won't help you out.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I know I promised to stop reporting here, but this is interesting. When the right side of my keyboard froze again, I rotated from land scape to portrait. I've already reported #35 what happens when I do that. But then I continued rotating around counterclockwise. When I returned to portrait, but 180 degrees from my usual - now the home button was to the right - the keyboard still was frozen. But 90 degrees farther, back to portrait, but with the home button on top, the keyboard became responsive again on the far right. The appearance is also different from what I attached to post #35. It looked like the attached:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Whether or not it turns out to be helpful, I've happily added your latest astute observations of this bug to our tracker. :)

• pONd74
    pONd74
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem with the Keyboard. Sometime, the right area does't show reaction.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pONd74,

Thanks for taking time to add your report of this problem. Sorry for its inconvenience!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've still only ever observed this issue in 1Password. When it happens, it seems to be application-specific to 1Password. For example, when the right side of the keyboard goes dead in 1Password, it isn't dead in the password field of the iPad version of Facebook. If I then switch back to 1Password, the right side of the keyboard remains dead. No amount of switching around to other applications cures the issue in 1Password. Only force quitting restores the keyboard. Then it behaves normally, until the next time, which seems fairly frequent, but entirely randomly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks for the additional clues to what's causing this misbehaviour. If you have any specific usage patterns that trigger it you'd probably have identified one by now instead of it remaining seemingly random. And of course that could still happen. I've been chasing a bug that's similarly elusive for several months without stumbling across, and still hoping to, any way of reproducing it at will.

• marklawrence
    marklawrence
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as hawkmoth.
    iPad Air, iOS 8.0.2, 1Password 5.1, in landscape mode.
    It happens about 1 time in 5 log-ins.
    Quitting and restarting the app solves it - until the next time.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I had been waiting to see if this problem occurs when my iPad is in portrait orientation. Today I found that it does. When I opened 1Password while my device was in portrait orientation, the login screen presented itself just like I showed in post #35 in this thread. Clearly, the right side of the keyboard was inaccessible, since it had run off the right side of the screen. When I rotated from that back to landscape orientation, the right side of the keyboard was indeed unresponsive.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your report, @marklawrence. And that new information about this also initially happening with portrait orientation, @hawkmoth. All of this is being passed along to our developers!

• EBurns
    EBurns
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to share the misery here with your development team. I'm a developer at Boxer and we also have this issue appearing - but only for an isolated set of users. It seems to happen only in an editable element that appears on a modal view (in our case, a UIModalPresentationPageSheet). The users that are experiencing it seem to have it very consistently.

It really does seem to be an iOS8 bug, but it is rare enough and limited to just a few apps - which makes me believe there has to be a way we can eliminate it. I'll try to remember to follow up here if I find a workaround - and if your dev team wants to compare notes, just message me.

Ed

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@EBurns - I downloaded Boxer Free, since Boxer was mentioned in this thread before. Does this happen in that version? If so, how would I trigger it? I don't get prompted for a password after initial setup. This is really idle curiosity on my part, I guess, since I am not a developer. But I'd love to see Apple figure this out. It's really annoying.

• EBurns
    EBurns
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

It does happen in that version - but again, we've only had 20 or so reports so it seems to be a limited issue. Most reports we have had are when replying to an email.

I've spent the last 10 hours trying to repro with zero success, so I really don't have an answer to your "How" question. (Annoying indeed!)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Ed ( @EBurns ),

Thanks for stopping by to let us know about your experience with this issue and Boxer. I'm sorry to hear it's been causing you misery, but glad you're not having to suffer with it alone. I think you've swayed this back in favor of being an iOS 8 bug that apps like yours and ours happen to trigger for some as yet unknown reason.

Can you drop a quick email to support+forum@agilebits,com about your offer to compares notes with our dev team, with ATTN: sjk re: CSI-20 in the Subject, and I'll make sure it gets to them? Much appreciated -- thanks!

ref: PYS-23922-164

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Now this is serious for me. I cannot access 1Password via my iPAD - at all

The right-side 2 or 3 keys in each row of the iPad keyboard (iOS 8.0.2) is frozen when trying to enter my password.
    I have tried re-synching via DropBox from my MacMini - this synch seems to have been nominal according to DropBox

The iPad and 1Password (v5.1) were working properly yesterday, and was being charged overnight.

No joy here

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lamplighter,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've run into this problem!

Above, @hawkmoth says that force-quitting the app should get the keyboard behaving properly again - does this work for you?

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed, it did fix the problem.... Many thx also to @hawkmoth

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Lamplighter, on behalf of @Megan and @hawkmoth. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I think that this problem has been fixed in the update to iOS 8.1. I have not seen the keyboard freeze up on the far right since I installed the update yesterday. I've made it a point to open 1Password every time I pick up my iPad to be sure. I'll be interested to see if others also find that they no longer see the issue.

I'm cautious though. Absence of evidence isn't the same as evidence of absence. ;)

• Good morning @hawkmoth‌! We've had reports from some other developers that the problem has been fixed in their apps as well with the 8.1 update, so I think we're in good shape.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Uh oh, @MrRooni‌ - This bug returned to me this morning.

• On an old device that hasn't yet been updated to iOS 8.1, right? RIGHT?? Seriously though, that's not cool. I can reopen a bug with Apple. Is there anything different about it this time? Any way to reliably reproduce it?

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

When I try and use 1PW on my iPad 4 (purchased August 2013) the keyboard is split which is OK, but the right half of the keyboard is off the edge of the screen. It is almost as if 1PW thinks I have a wider screen in terms of pixels and is rendering at least 75% of the keyboard off the edge of the screen. I have tried rotating the screen and that did not help. Any suggestions?

I am not using iOS8.1, but I do have what ever the most recent version was - I usually let the dust settle for at least a couple of days on OS upgrades.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

IPad Air on iOS 8.1. Same manifestation - far right side of keyboard dead. And I still don't know how to reproduce it.

Edit: I guess I'd say the frequency of occurrence has been reduced, since this was the first time I've seen the problem since iOS 8.1 was released on Monday. It was happening more often before.

This discussion has been closed.