In Master Password field, some keys might not work [Possible iOS 8 issue; try restarting app]

Options

Comments

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member
    Options

Ignore this - I had the brilliant idea of rebooting the iPad and that solved the problem - at least for today.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It happened to me again a few minutes ago. So I guess I must conclude that it's still a big problem.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is another report here on this forum which could be related to this problem.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Gordon101 - Next time this happens to you, if it does, try just force quitting 1Password. I'm curious to know if that also gets the keyboard straightened out. I also wonder, as does @Stephen_C in post #64 in another thread, whether this is the same problem as one I've been bothered by, which is that the far right side of the keyboard is dead when my iPad is in landscape orientation, or falling off the right side of the screen altogether if in portrait. The latter sounds like your experience, if you are seeing it in portrait orientation.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Stephen_C - I wondered the same thing when I first read that post. I've now followed up there to see if the other symptoms I've described in this thread also happen there.

FWIW, I filed feedback with Apple about the continuing issue earlier today.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gordon101,

I've merged your topic with the related one that @Stephen_C and @hawkmoth both mentioned, keeping further. discussion of this issue under one umbrella. :)

• Larry Merkley
    Larry Merkley
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to add my identical experience to the growing chorus. I'll try the workaround, hoping it works.

• Larry Merkley
    Larry Merkley
    Community Member
    Options

The workaround works. Good luck finding a permanent fix.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Does anyone suspect that having the option to split the keyboard On is related to this issue? That is the default in the keyboard options, but I'm prompted to wonder about it, given @Gordon101's comment about it. In any case, I never split the keyboard myself, so I turned it Off to see if I even see the problem that way. Does Apple communicate back to developers when they file bug reports?

Edit: Never mind my question about the split keyboard option. I now have I turned off and I was just bitten again by this bug.

• Apple does communicate back to us when we file bug reports, but that communication is very minimal. They will inform us if our filed bug is a duplicate of another bug already reported, if it has been closed, or if they need more information about it.

• jkalbhm
    jkalbhm
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problems as Hawkmoth on an iPad2 with iOS 8.1

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrRooni‌

I also have this issue on my iPad Air but why is it an Apple problem, as I don't experience it with what other App?

• Good afternoon @HRD and thanks for writing in! The reason we are fairly certain this is an Apple bug is two-fold: One, it isn't only happening to us. We've actually had another developer reach out to us to see if we have any tips for solving it. Two: The keyboard is strictly within Apple's purview. We have no control over how it shows up or where - only when. Therefore when it shows up partially off the screen or with a third of its keys not working, there's nothing we can do within 1Password to move the keyboard or even detect that there's been a problem.

I hope this helps!

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrRooni‌,

Thanks for the explanation. Guess we will have to wait for a future iOS update to fix the bug.

• Hopefully, not too long of a wait considering the rumors that Apple already have 8.2 and 8.3 in testing.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌,

Hopefully, you are correct as Apple has many others bug to fix as well.

• Yea, I think iOS 8.1 didn't have a lot of bug fixes in it as it was focused for ApplePay, which is why it was a very short beta test. Apple did announce WatchKit SDK for November, so I'm thinking we should see a new beta in a few weeks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I keep fiddling with this, for some perverse reason. I had an idea that perhaps the keyboard would work if the first letter of my password fell on one of the keys that remains active when the the right side of the keyboard is dead. So I changed the order of my Diceware passwords to avoid that part of the keyboard at the start of entry. But that didn't matter. When the bug is active, it stopped accepting input when I came to enter one of those right keys. So you can't get a head start. When the bug is active, it isn't context dependent.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've now joined the club of those who've encountered a problem with some inoperative right-side keys in 1Password 5, shortly after freshly installing it on my fresh iPad Air 2 and adding another website field to an item. This peculiar variation:

I think it occurred while in landscape orientation, and I was able to get use of them again by rotating to portrait orientation … but the left/right sides of the keyboard (which was also vertically centered for some reason) weren't fully on screen. Rotating back to landscape didn't loosen the stuck keys. Edit: could be similar to what you posted in #39, @hawkmoth

So far I've failed to make any of that happen again, replicating the same steps to the best of memory. I want to do more thorough testing to see if it can be coaxed into further misbehavior.

• sevendotzero
    sevendotzero
    Community Member
    Options

When I'm creating or editing items, or using the 1Password browser certain keys are disabled in embedded keypad. The keys that don't work are o p backspace l return , . shift

The same keys are disabled when selecting the numeric keypad so 9 8 backspace @ return and also the symbol keypad so + = backspace Yen symbol return

My iOS language is set to UK.

Curious bug and would appreciate your thoughts if you can replicate it.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are you by any chance using an iPad in landscape orientation when the problem occurs?

Stephen

• sevendotzero
    sevendotzero
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I am. I always use my iPad Mini in landscape. Thinking about it I need to check what happens in portrait. Will report back.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sevendotzero‌ there is a very long thread here about issues which I think are directly related to yours. In fact I'm so sure they are related I'm going to try to merge the threads.

Stephen

• sevendotzero
    sevendotzero
    Community Member
    Options

I have just tried the app in portrait and the right half of the keyboard is missing, so even worse!

• torrey
    torrey
    Community Member
    Options

%%#}}{{{{~#% this is irritating I have reinstalled 1password 4 times on my iPad air just to get my passwords. The last time the keyboard would not accept "0" but would accept other numbers. Previously it would pUt the keyboard over to the left or block the sign in page. Any fixes yet???

• @torrey Sorry for the trouble you're having here, but I believe we're stuck until Apple is able to fix this bug in a future version of iOS.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Perhaps this is a clue. On my iPad it seems like this bug bites me the first time each day that I open 1Password, but not again, once I have forced the app to quit. I don't know what happens overnight. One thing likely is a backup to iCloud.

This is as close to getting a predictable occurrence as I've come up with.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only time it can happen. It sometime recurs during the day too.

• sevendotzero
    sevendotzero
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. I use Dropbox, not iCloud, and have the 'broken' keyboard issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

This first happened to me without syncing or backups so it seems unrelated to either.

On my iPad it seems like this bug bites me the first time each day that I open 1Password, but not again, once I have forced the app to quit.

That's been my experience so far, too. Like it's a common initial state for this will happen that gets cleared up for awhile until something causes a return to that state.

• bkidder
    bkidder
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for iOS 5.1.1 seems to have problems with the keyboard location, both in the lock screen and the search field, possibly other locations. Earlier versions worked fine for me. I'm using two different iPad Air 2 devices with iOS 8.1. No 3rd-party keyboards are installed.

Below are screen shots of the problem.

Let me know if there any kinds of logs or additional information you'd like.
    -Brian

This discussion has been closed.