Dropbox Sync vs. iCloud/CloudKit sync...

Options
The18thLetter
The18thLetter
Community Member

My iPad 3 and iPhone 6 are both running iOS 8, and my iMac is running Yosemite. I've also upgraded to iCloud Drive on all devices. I'm currently using and have always used Dropbox for syncing my 1Password Keychain. However, I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on whether Dropbox or iCloud Drive/CloudKit would be a better option. Are there any real pros and cons that make one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @The18thLetter‌

Honestly, if Dropbox sync is working well for you, I don't see much need to switch here. I'd be curious to hear if other forum users have a preference here. All I can say is that I've been using Dropbox since I started using 1Password, and it's always behaved fine for me.

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

I have a preference to sync with the cloud, NOT dropbox. The whole purpose of Yosemite was to simplify, especially with the cloud drive. Using Dropbox, is a work around with one more extra level/medium to connect/own/manage.

• jansla
    jansla
    Community Member
    Options

there actually may be an advantage of dropbox over iCloud as you can use online access to 1P (via dropbox log in) in case you do not have any of your devices with you, and using a computer without 1P on it. I mean 1PasswordEnywhere. I could not see this possibility on iCloud login via web browser...

• Thanks for the feedback, guys. 1PasswordAnywhere is feature only available if you use Dropbox sync. iCloud (specifically CloudKit) doesn't offer the web interface required for 1PasswordAnywhere.

This discussion has been closed.