1Password5, multiple vaults, Dropbox and iCloud sync [Resolved]

Options
chongo
chongo
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I am using two vaults via the Pro feature. One vault is being synced with some friends. They are running Macs with OS X 10.9.5 and have Dropbox accounts. We sync this vault via a special shared directory in Dropbox.

For my private 1Password vault: All of my devices are now running either iOS 8 or OS X 10.10. They are currently syncing my private vault via Dropbox in the default location.

If I switch to using the Mac Store version of 1Password5, will I be able to use iCloud Drive to sync my private vault AND use Dropbox to sync that shared vault with my friends (who are going to be on OS X 10.9 for a while)?

I.e., can the Mac Store version of 1Password5 sync multiple vaults, 1 via Dropbox and 1 via iCloud Drive?

Is this mixed sync a good idea?

If it helps/matters, my private vault is large and changes frequently. I'm thinking the new iCloud Drive sync feature is a good choice for that vault. The vault I share with my friends via Dropbox is mostly static: it rarely changes.

Comments

• Hi @Chongo,

If I switch to using the Mac Store version of 1Password5, will I be able to use iCloud Drive to sync my private vault AND use Dropbox to sync that shared vault with my friends (who are going to be on OS X 10.9 for a while)?

Yes, you can do the following in 1Password 5 for Mac App Store:

1. Sync the primary vault via iCloud (iCloud can only sync the primary vault at the moment)
    2. Sync the second vault via Dropbox with your friends by putting it in a shared folder inside Dropbox
    3. Any other vaults you create after this would have to be sync’ed via Dropbox or Folder sync

Is this mixed sync a good idea?

Yes, it’s fine. Each vault has its own syncer and is separated from each other.

If it helps/matters, my private vault is large and changes frequently. I'm thinking the new iCloud Drive sync feature is a good choice for that vault. The vault I share with my friends via Dropbox is mostly static: it rarely changes.

We do not use iCloud Drive, we use iCloud Sync/CloudKit, which is a separate service that’s a part of your iCloud account. Apple does make this a bit confusing because everything is using the same iCloud branding and there are at least 3-4 different data syncing APIs they offer under iCloud.

To address your statement, the one major benefit of using iCloud Sync is that it’s built into your OS X and iOS ecosystem. You don’t have to recall your Dropbox password before you set up 1Password on new iOS/OS X devices, you just sign into iCloud and bam, your 1Password data is ready for you to use when iCloud finishes downloading the data.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions about this, please let me know. You might also find our Knowledge Base useful as well as our iCloud Sync guide, to get a sense how it would work.

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks, that answers my question!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chongo,

I'm so glad to hear that @MikeT was able to help you out!

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.