MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Options

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mewlo29 ,

That's great news - Enjoy 1Password!

Yes, you can delete all the downloads, the Strawberry Perl folder, etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mewlo29: That's great to hear! I just wanted to add that while it's safe to delete the converter files if you've successfully imported your data, I'd keep the original data safe. While we hope you'll like 1Password enough to stick with it, I'd hate for you to have to try to reverse-convert everything if you decide not to. But we're here for you if you have any questions about 1Password. Cheers! :)

• Gerhard0007
    Gerhard0007
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MRC !

Thank you for your response !
    I will try to create the translation table you are looking for - sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Gerhard

• shaneholloman
    shaneholloman
    Community Member
    Options

This not correct Skipped 209 non-login items

8i at shane in ~/Desktop/convert_to_1p4
    $ perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl keychain -v ../pm_export.txt
    Odd number of elements in hash assignment at Converters/Keychain.pm line 146 (#1)
        (W misc) You specified an odd number of elements to initialize a hash,
        which is odd, because hashes come in key/value pairs.

Use of uninitialized value in list assignment at Converters/Keychain.pm line
        146 (#2)
        (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
        defined.  It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
        To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

To help you figure out what was undefined, perl will try to tell you
        the name of the variable (if any) that was undefined.  In some cases
        it cannot do this, so it also tells you what operation you used the
        undefined value in.  Note, however, that perl optimizes your program
        anid the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily appear
        literally in your program.  For example, "that $foo" is usually
        optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to the
        concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in
        your program.

Examined 209 items
    Skipped 209 non-login items
    Skipped 0 duplicate items
    Imported 0 items
    Exported 0 total items

8i at shane in ~/Desktop/convert_to_1p4
    $

So the resulting 1P_import.1pif has no data

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @shaneholloman ,

Please use the 1.09 version of the converter suite in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post of the thread.

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC‌,
    I am impressed with the work you've done with your Convert-to-1Password utility. Also, happy to find an eWallet converter. I am now migrating to 1Password from eWallet version 8.2.1.35161 (current version on Windows). Your eWallet converter is for version 7.x

Is there any chance that you could update your utility to convert the text output from eWallet 8.x ??

I can provide sample data files if you need. I can do testing for you.

The other issue with moving to 1Password is it's lack of: (a) sub-categories and sub-sub-categories..., and (b) lack of full-text-search.
    My eWallet content doesn't have to be so structured because I can navigate to my records using the category tree or do a full-text-search for any string or sub-string. 1Password is very limited in the ability to locate records.

Therefore, when converting, I will need to automatically create "tags" based on the Category, Sub-category, Sub-sub-category, Sub-sub-sub-category.... What's the best way to automate such "tag" creation? Thank you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @p4800,

Typically the version numbers are minimum or tested versions. I believe I've tested version 8, and it works fine. Use the 1.09 version of the converter suite in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Sub-categories are not available in 1Password, but sub-folders are possible and collapsible (on the Mac version) - they are essentially like folder paths in the categories area. Use the --folder option to create folders - otherwise, only tags will be created. The ewallet converter places eWallet categories into Tags, and therefore also possibly folders.

A comment in my code reminds me:

Although categories can be nested in eWallet, there is no way to detect category hierarchy in the text export file.

So you get the bottom-most category name, and that's it.

Are you using 1Password for Windows or Mac?

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    Thanks for your quick and informative reply.
    .. Knowing that I get the bottom-most category name would allow me to rename such bottom-categories to be useful when converted to a tag.
    .. I'm on Windows 10, Win8.1, an older iPAD and Android (Samsung Note4). Seems I'm stuck if the Windows version of 1Password is behind the Mac feature set. Any advice?
    Thx

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@p4800 ,

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

You might onsider trying out the new version 6 of 1Password for Windows, currently in beta. I don't know all the limitations. You can fall back to version 4.

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    Seems that the new version 6.1.296 has been released as the production version today. There is no beta. I did register with HockeyApp.net for access to a beta, if there was one.

This new version 6.x for Windows does have an import function. The Import function gives instructions to:

1. Open the 1Password app and select the items you want to export.

2. Select File > Export > Select Items... from the menu bar.

3. Enter the Master Password and save the .1pif file...

4. Choose a vault to import into (drop-list shows my value)

5. Button: [Select a file...]

I thought I'd ask, does this function import a .1pif file that's generated by your convert-to-1Password utility?
    If 'yes', then it seems I'm unstuck. In that case, you're suggesting your eWallet script can convert a text file that was exported from eWallet version 8.x ? Thx.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@p4800,

Yes, 1Password 6 for Windows can import the 1pif file created by the converter.

The instructions are rather goofy. Just import.

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC, Ok, Thanks for confirming. Will give it a shot.
    I am new to 1Password and have some thoughts on how to organize my Vault(s). I'm thinking to reorganize my eWallet data, Categories and fields to be more consistent so the migration to 1Password is less painful. I would appreciate your feedback so that I can use your utility in the best way.

a. Seems to me, 1Password (Windows App) and website are more structured than eWallet. What I mean is that 1Password requires pre-defined Categories, each Category with pre-defined fields. I can't define my own new Category type, correct?

b. I can't have unique record shapes (field sets) within the same Category, correct?

Therefore, I need to make my eWallet data as consistent between record types as possible. For example,
    .. all Bank Account records should have the same fields?
    .. all free-form notes text should be copied to only one Notes field?

c. I should rename my Categories in eWallet to work well as a Tag in 1Password and flatten my Category tree in eWallet as much as possible?

d. Since 1Password has no full-text-search, what do you suggest might be a partial work-around?

Thx.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@p4800: Just to answer some of your questions about 1Password's organizational structure:

I can't define my own new Category type, correct?

Categories are predefined templates. It isn't possible to create custom categories. However, any item can have custom sections and fields, so within categories there is a lot of room for customization. A good way to store data that isn't a good fit for a predefined category is to use a combination of Secure Notes and custom fields.

I can't have unique record shapes (field sets) within the same Category, correct?/

It sounds like you may be looking for something like the custom fields I mentioned above, but be sure to let me know if you had something else in mind. Even if it's not possible today, we're always working to improve 1Password.

I think @MrC may be better qualified to field this one, but I think generally if you want to fit you account data within 1Password's Bank category template, that would be best.

.. all free-form notes text should be copied to only one Notes field?

Yes. While it is possible to create custom fields that you could use for the same purpose, 1Password gives a lot more visible space for the Notes field.

c. I should rename my Categories in eWallet to work well as a Tag in 1Password and flatten my Category tree in eWallet as much as possible?

This is a tough one. Ultimately how tags are used is really pretty personal, so it depends on how you'd like to use them. I guess my rule of thumb is that I want to be able to easily find anything with a simple search. @MrC may have some advice too, based on his own experience. I will say, however, that 1Password 6 doesn't have advanced tag management features yet, so simpler will probably be better.

d. Since 1Password has no full-text-search, what do you suggest might be a partial work-around?

I think this is closely related to the last question, not because of tags, but because of the broader question of searchability. I find that 95% of the time, I can get what I need by searching by title. This probably requires a simpler naming scheme than some folks prefer, but I find it works well for me to distill the "essence" of a piece of information (i.e. an item in 1Password) to 3-4 words/abbreviations. And I'm often refining naming of things when my brain tells me to search for one thing, but "past me" gave it a stupid name that makes it too hard to find. ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

@p4800,

RE:

This ewallet converter uses certain field names as the basis for category detection and field mapping. The Bank Account fields of interest are:

Bank Name
    Telephone
    Account Type
    Account Number
    PIN
    Sort Code
    SWIFT Code
    ABA Routing
    ABA Routing #
    PIN2
    URL
    User Name
    Password

These are matched case-sensitively, but only Bank Name SWIFT Code, ABA Routing, ABA Routing #, and PIN2 will definitively mark the records as belonging to the Bank Account Category (this is because these field names are unique to Bank Account, whereas the others may be in other categories).

Those fields get mapped to either 1Password fields if such mappings exist, or to Key / Value pairs in the Notes section of the record otherwise. With the --addfields option, they will instead be added to custom fields within the record.

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member
    Options

@Brenty + @MrC,
    You guys are great. Thanks for your detailed responses and guidance.
    As a result of my new understandings, I see that eWallet is much more flexible than 1Password for general use. But, 1Password shines with respect to website logins, especially with it's browser plug-ins.

I will migrate only my many website entries from eWallet to 1Password. Still, lack of full-text-search in 1Password is difficult. It's hard to give up such a powerful feature. I hope 1Password developers will add such search capabilities soon. Thanks again for your help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@p4800,

You're welcome.

I'd guess that the 1P6 for Windows will eventually get full content search, just like the Mac version has.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Still, lack of full-text-search in 1Password is difficult. It's hard to give up such a powerful feature. I hope 1Password developers will add such search capabilities soon. Thanks again for your help.

@p4800: You're very welcome! And I couldn't agree more: search is really important. I'm sorry it isn't as advanced yet, but we're working on it. :)

• WilburMcG
    WilburMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

I plan to migrate from Keepass to iPassword, and know from repeated failed attempts to convert via CSV that many of my Keepass entries have line feeds or other characters that are wreaking havoc with the import process.

I have approx. 300 logins to convert... Will I be able to convert these with the free/demo version before I pay for the 1Password license? I want to verify I can convert everything and how well it works for me once i convert before committing to buy. So can I convert 300 logins into the demo version?

Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @WilburMcG ,

Which version, specifically, of Keepass are you using, and which platform?

Yes, you will be able convert all of the data, and i believe the trial is full featured.

• WilburMcG
    WilburMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Currently running Keepass 2.34 on Windows 7.

The trial version says something about 20 logins, and I had to delete records out of the "Demo" database before I could import new ones using the CSV import method.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

@WilburMcG ,

Use the keepass2 converter in the converter suite . See the first post of the thread. Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits. The README.pdf provides usage and export instructions. Export as XML, not CSV.

• mewlo29
    mewlo29
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys !

I'm back with another question...I'm sure one of you will be able to help me :)

I just wanna precise that I don't plan on quitting this app, i love that shit ! I never truly realized how many website-login combinations I had and how i am pretty much using more than half of it every day :O quite impressive when we can see it in a list like that.

Anyway, I have the Norton internet security full package (which I paid for) and realised it includes an identity vault as well. So I thought that instead of having a loose file somewhere in my external drive, that I could simply import the content of my 1password to my other Norton vault. Just in case i might forget the Master phrase from one or the other, i would feel much safer having access to the second one.... And I know the odds for me to forget it one day are pretty high, and considering I used the features to the maximum and regenerated random passwords for ALL my logins....well i would be really screwed.....

Apart from having this good idea, i haven't got too far with the process yet....

Norton is asking me to import from one of these file format -> .csv / .dat / .npm.
    I have exported an excel .csv file from 1Password, which i try to import to Norton but it doest work.
    Either the file format is not compatible, or i made a mistake somehow (i hope note, im still having more PC skills than the average citizen) or the file size is wrong, or another matter that might involves another conversion....
    I have read that the data file to be imported to Norton has to must be under 15 MB for .CSV files and 35 MB for .NPM files. and my files is still only 72 KB.

I'm sure someone have a solution for me !!!
    Thanks a lot Guys ! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options

@mewlo29 ,

You'll have to check the Symantec / Norton site for their CSV requirements. CSV is a simple format, but each app that imports CSV will have its own requirements, esp. if the columns have specific meanings. They may require that columns are in a certain order, or have a header, or that there are only a specific number of columns.

• wkh
    wkh
    Community Member
    Options

The new windows app exports the file in the following format (unencrypted .txt only):

uuid=abcdefabcdef
    title=Some title
    category=001
    tags=website
    website=https://example.com/
    previousPassword1=foobar
    username=some_user
    password=some_password
    section=Related Items

Is there a way to reimport this into the windows app after editing the file, I wanted to do some batch operations on the exported file before importing it back in?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@wkh,

I'm not sure there is a lossless approach just yet with version 6 of 1Password for Windows (the new Windows app). It also exports as CSV. Both the text and CSV formats will lose some internal data, and your re-import would require replacing all of the affected entries as if they were new entries.

Version 6 currently only imports 1PIF files, so you'll have to convert the CSV to 1PIF. The csv converter can do this for the Login and Credit Card categories, but has not been coded to handle other categories yet. Each CSV file must contain only a single supported category.

What are you looking to do ultimately?

• wkh
    wkh
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC There was a bug in my previous import that duplicated the password field only in my windows app version, and I am unable to delete it. So I was hoping to export it then delete the dupe passwords and reimport them (since i have updated them in the mean time).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@wkh,

In that case, I'd recommend exporting your Logins as CSV, and using the csv conversion utility to convert them to 1PIF, which you can then import. Be sure to use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite thread.

• sato
    sato
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I just exported my passwords to a plain text with 1Password 6 on Windows 10. How can I convert it to 1pif format to be imported into 1Password again?

Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @sata,

Export as CSV instead. Then you can use the csv converter for Login and Credit Card categories. The other categories are not yet supported. Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits of the converter suite.

I won't be writing a converter for 1Password 6's plain text export, as I suspect support for a 1PIF export will eventually be supported.

• ionblue
    ionblue
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone help with error? Mac OS X Sierra, I have an exported file and whenever I try to run the command by hand (cause dropping it on the script caused other errors, I get this:

perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl keychain ~/logins.csv -v ~/onepass-import
    Unable to open file: ARRAY(0x7fe23102c820)
    No such file or directory

Help?? And thanks.

This discussion has been closed.