Backup Error Every Few Minutes

Options
Cyndi Vander Ven
Cyndi Vander Ven
Community Member

About every few minutes a popup comes on my screen with the message: "1Password failed to create a backup: Error Domain=NSCocoaE..."

I also get this message if I click on Backup myself from within the program. Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

One solution which worked with 1P4 (and may well work with 1P5 for all I know) is to go to 1P5 (or 1P4) > Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If that doesn't work for you try re-booting and if there's still a problem please tell us which version of 1P you are using, 1P4 or 1P5.

Stephen

• Cyndi Vander Ven
    Cyndi Vander Ven
    Community Member
    Options

Now I have total disaster. I had upgraded to 1P5 from 1P4. All of my info had migrated to 5, so I used an app called AppDelete and deleted the information on 4. I just did a reboot and tried to open 5 and it said the vault was empty. I've never done a backup on any version of 1P. Ever. I've never needed to. Since this back-up error message kept popping up, I thought I'd try to do one, and now it looks as though my goose is cooked. Any suggestions?

• Cyndi Vander Ven
    Cyndi Vander Ven
    Community Member
    Options

Wait. I just opened 1P5 again and it's repopulated itself with all my info. What craziness is this? It's also doing a backup. Will wonders never cease. My faith in 1P, my computer, and order in the universe has been restored :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cyndi Vander Ven

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having here! For future reference, we don't recommend using any app cleaners to remove 1Password. This is because you have valuable backups stored on your system, in addition to your datafile. If you simply remove the app by dragging the old version to the Trash, those backups and your datafile remain safe and sound.

The purpose of app cleaners though is to remove all traces of an app - which is not so good in the case of apps (like 1Password) that you are merely updating, as version 4 and version 5 use some of the same folders.

I'm so glad to hear that your data is once again safe and sound in 1Password and that everything is working as it should!

If you have any further questions, we're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.