Duplicate fields appearing for items under Servers category [Resolved - restore backup]

Options
marsbeetle
marsbeetle
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Hi,

I am running 1Password 5 for Mac under Yosemite using iCloud Sync.

I previously had the same issue where login user fields I created for each server were duplicated and now it is happening again...

Why ? ...and do I now have to(again) go through all my servers and remove these duplicate entries ?

Please try and fix this issue.

Thanks.

Regards,
Nelis

Comments

• marsbeetle
    marsbeetle
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Update: This problem is even worse than I thought. The fields are duplicate but the passwords are different !! They are passwords that I have used but now I have no idea for which logins ! ....really annoyed.

It's almost like it has taken the passwords used from other servers where the login username is the same but the password was different.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Nelis ( @marsbeetle ),

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Are you using 1Password on multiple computers? What you are describing here sounds like a case of 1Password finding differing versions of the data on different machines and saving both versions (to prevent data loss).

In order to give you more specific help, please provide me the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password.

Is there any chance you have a backup that you could restore from?

• marsbeetle
    marsbeetle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Sorry for the late reply(different time zones).

I'm running the latest versions on my Mac(5) and iPhone 6(5.1). I switched to the new iCloud sync only once I received my new iPhone and had both Yosemite and iOS8.1 so this should really not have happened ? Previously they were both using the old iCloud sync and when I upgraded to Yosemite and 1Password 5 I did not enable iCloud sync until I got my new iPhone and iOS8.

What would be the best method to restore in this scenario ? Do I need to do anything other than simply restore from my Mac such as delete the data first on my iPhone ?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Nelis

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Nelis ( @marsbeetle‌ ),

You're right, ideally this should not have happened, but there have been big changes to iCloud in Yosemite and iOS 8, so there might have been a bit of a glitch somewhere during the upgrade process. It's hard to say exactly where, but I'm confident that we can sort this out by restoring from a backup, as long as you haven't made many changes to your database since noticing these conflicts.

(If you have changed your database significantly, please let me know and we'll do some extra fiddling to make this work.)

First we'll ensure that everything is synced up:

• Create a test entry on both your Mac, and your iOS device and ensure that each entry shows up on your other device

Once we know that your database is complete on the Mac, we'll disable sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

Now it's time to restore to a recent backup:

• On your Mac, use File > Backup to create a fresh backup (just in case)
    • Use File > Restore, and select a backup from before you noticed all these extra fields
    • Take a look through your restored database and ensure that everything is as it should be

If everything looks as it should, we'll re-enable sync:

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• To ensure that 1Password for iOS uses the database directly from your Mac and doesn't merge the Mac data with your existing data on iOS, we'll go to Settings > Advanced and 'Erase Data and Settings'
    • You can then set up 1Password 5 for iOS as a new user and point it at the existing data in iCloud

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but if you have any questions, or hit any snags in the process, we're here to help!

• marsbeetle
    marsbeetle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks very much for your help, I'm back in business !

After following each of your steps everything is back as it should be without the duplicates.

Keep well,
    Nelis

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Nelis ( @marsbeetle‌ ),

I'm so glad to hear that things are working smoothly for you now!

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.