Do I need to set 1Password to 'Start at Login'?

Options
neilc
neilc
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm still finding my way around 1Password, so please be patient!

I just entered a password for a website using Safari, but 1P didn't pop up to ask me if I'd like to save it.

I then clicked on the 1P icon in my dock and just minimised it.

As a test, I then changed that password on the same website and 1P popped up to save the password.

I've right clicked it and selected 'Open at Login', is this what I need to do?

Cheers.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc‌ Technically all you need to do is unlock your vault, launching 1Password Mini via the command shortcut ⌥⌘L would also achieve this (1Password Mini is running already by default). However, the benefit of your approach is you'll have a nice large reminder to unlock your vault each time you reboot your machine. One caveat though, if your vault locks for any reason (causes for auto-lock are detailed in Preferences : Security tab) then you're back at your original situation. It might be best to get into the habit of ensuring 1Password is unlocked when you start using browsing.

• Hi @neilc,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. If you're wanting to use the browser extensions (and everyone should :smile: ), then you need to make sure that 1Password mini is always running. This can simply be done by going into 1Password's Preferences, under General, and checking the appropriate checkbox.

Like @littlebobbytables‌ said, for the browser extension to automatically prompt you to add a password to the app, the app needs to be unlocked (via either the main app, or the mini).

Hope this helps.

Rick

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks both, I'll check the settings when I get home.

Loving 1P and the support here, it's a real refreshing change. :smile:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

Thanks for the kind words - let us know how things go!

• neilc
    neilc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone. :smile:

Setting it to "Open at Login" seems to have done the trick.

I logged in to UPS this morning and as soon as I did, 1P popped up and prompted me for a save.

Is that how it's meant to work/be set up?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neilc,

I'm so glad to hear that 'Open at Login' has got things behaving the way you'd like!

I logged in to UPS this morning and as soon as I did, 1P popped up and prompted me for a save.

You'll see this prompt when you have enabled the 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' option in Preferences > Browser. It's really handy when you're building your 1Password database - with this feature on you don't have to manually enter all of your details into 1Password. If the prompt is getting in your way though, you can disable the feature in Preferences ... or click on the gear icon in the pop-up to disable the prompt just for the website you're on.

I hope this helps! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.