Can't start 1Password in my macbook. How to wipe it clean and start over?

Options
Ignacio Paredero Huerta
Ignacio Paredero Huerta
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I installed 1password, but having problems with sync, tried to start over, removing the app and some folders, but im sure i have removed more than needed, because, after reinstalling, when i try to open the program, it stays on the presentation window, but fails to ask me the password for the vault.

What can i do to wipe 1password clean from my macbook and start over? I have an imac and it works fine on it.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ignacio Paredero Huerta

Just before we continue, can I confirm that there is no information at risk if you were to wipe 1Password from your MacBook? Basically you have a vault on your iMac which is working and either there was no information in the vault of the MacBook or nothing that doesn't exist on your iMac.

We do have a guide for starting over. Key parts are ensuring 1Password mini isn't left running, to reboot when instructed as well as using the correct location which depends on the version you're running. The result of following those steps though is like you've never run 1Password before, so it would be the welcome screen asking if you want to create a new vault or if you're an existing user with a vault they want to load.

If the goal is to sync the two machines can I ask what steps you've been following. You can tell 1Password your existing vault is a synchronised copy and so populate the vault and set up syncing in one set of stops. Here's the guide for Getting started again on a new computer (basically you're an existing user). I'll also link to the cover page for the different sync methods available.

If you need more assistance or any questions prior to doing anything post back here and we'll do our best to answer :smile:

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem!
    I first installed 1password on my ipad. Then yesterday I purchased the OS X version for my macbook.
    When I launch 1password on my macbook, it won't ask me any login password.
    Synchronization is disabled and it's not possible to change the password because of message: "this is not the principal vault. A secondary vault is active."
    I guess this is because of iCloud sync?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @b4ld0ck‌

Can you describe the steps you made from after installing 1Password to the state you're currently in. I haven't heard of that error before so wondering if you can help enlighten me before I bring the big guns in (in terms of the excellent support staff here at AgileBits) to assist you.

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there!
    I installed 1password on my ipad few days ago and I started using it, sinking with iCloud.
    Then I liked the app and I decided to buy it for my macbook (30€): I installed it on the mac and launched it but the app never asked me for a login&pwd!
    Still I tried to wipe it clean and start over as you suggested to Ignacio, but nothing changed: it still does not ask me for any login&pwd!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @b4ld0ck‌

First of all, I'm so glad to hear that you like 1Password - thanks so much for your support! Now, let's get this straightened out so you can use it properly on all your devices. :)

I just want to caution you against using the 'Starting Over' instructions as a first step for troubleshooting - usually we can sort things out without resorting to wiping 1Password out of existence on your computer.

If 1Password is not prompting you for your Master Password, I think we want to check to confirm that sync is set up correctly. Since you're using iCloud, there are a few points we need to check off:

• First and foremost, did you purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, or our website? In version 5, only the Mac App Store version is able to support iCloud sync.
    • Are you logged in with the same iCloud account on all your computers and devices? (I somehow have multiple AppleIDs, so if you're like me, this could be where things are getting tangled up)
    • Is iCloud Drive enabled on all devices? While 1Password doesn't directly use iCloud Drive to store your data, you do need to enable this feature for 1Password to use iCloud sync.

Let me know the answers to these questions and we'll proceed from there!

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store.
    Yes indeed I'm logged in with the same AppleID of both devices.
    iCloud Drive is enabled as well.

Still I cannot use 1Password: it tells me: "this is not the main vault"

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I can send you screenshots if useful.

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

1pwd.jpg 282.2K
  • b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options
  • b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I even tried to disinstall 1pwd from iPad and start over from macbook but still no way to swap to the main vault. Please help me.

• rickfillion
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @b4ld0ck‌,

It sounds to me like you may have hit a bug during the initial setup of 1Password, or you've deleted 1Password data files without deleting the entirety of its container, or deleted the entirety of its container but not rebooted between launches. Something seems to have caused your setup to lack a primary vault, which isn't normal. If you didn't manually delete any files in the data directories, then I'm inclined to think you hit a bug, and I'd like to get a Diagnostics Report from you. To do so, simply follow the instructions on this page. Include a link to this forum thread so that we can connect the dots and know what we're looking for.

To get going again, you'll want to do a full Start Over on the Mac. You can do so by following the instructions on this page.

Rick

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, I've tried again a full start over but I'm not lucky: 1password still does not prompt me for a pwd :neutral_face:
    I have even tried deleting 1password from my iPad.

What I have noticed is that 1password was listed in the iCloud drive settings on my iPad, while it is not listed on the macbook (see screenshot).

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options
  • b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

I sent you some console logs: please rename the file with ".log" instead of ".jpg".

• b4ld0ck
    b4ld0ck
    Community Member
    Options

One more crash report: please rename it ".crash".
    Please resend me the link to create a "Diagnostic Report".

• Jasper
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @b4ld0ck,

Sorry for the broken diagnostics report link above!

Please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with your forum username and a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

That link should work for you. Thanks in advance for sending the report!

ref: ZSG-11822-395

This discussion has been closed.