Sharing with wife and myself

Options
eegorebulbous
eegorebulbous
Community Member

So I'm sure somewhere in the forums is an answer to my questions, but having looked for awhile, I can't find the details I'm looking for so here goes.

I have been using 1password for awhile (osx / ios), and I'd like to set my wife up to use it as well, and have some shared passwords / information.

I was just attempting to upgrade to a family license, but it looks like this is no longer needed.

So... how do I set up an account for my wife, with mostly her own stuff, while sharing some passwords with me. (and syncing with ios as well) -- Ideally we'd sync both to the same dropbox account, if that is possible.

Cheers

Comments

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Hey eegorebulbous. I just did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago for my wife. She doesn't do ANY of the financial stuff in the family, and I thought it was about time she knows what's going on, God forbid I get hit by a bus or something. :) I installed 1Password 5 on her MacBook Air and created a new vault titled 'R-G Shared'. She's only going to use one vault, which will be all of the accounts that we share, so I didn't create another vault for her. Next thing I did was create a new Dropbox folder where the keychain would be located and shared that folder with myself. I then moved about 100 of nearly 200 logins that I had for my iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Mini, and HTC One M8 Android phone into the new "shared" vault. It's worked out great! For my computers, I have access to 2 vaults-my stuff that doesn't interest her, and the vault that we share all of our financial, medical, etc. stuff. I love it because if she's got any questions about our bank accounts, or medical stuff, I can just tell her to open up HER 1Password, go to the site she's inquiring about, and login! It's something I should've done a long time ago!

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

I also should add, it's really nice because I can see if she's messing around with something in our shared vault, because I get the Dropbox notifications on my Macs when she's modified something in our shared vault. Overall, it's worked out great! Again, I've got MY OWN 1Password folder in my Dropbox where MY logins are stored, and we SHARE a Dropbox folder where our shared logins (Agile keychain) is located.

• eegorebulbous
    eegorebulbous
    Community Member
    Options

sweet, thanks much for the help -- sounds like your setup should work good -- how does it work in terms of knowing which vault a given password is stored in? Do you have to remember, or does the autofill use both vaults passwords?

Cheers,
    Kem

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

I don't recommend having the SAME login in 2 different vaults, but you CAN do that. The problem there is, IF you change the password or username, you better make sure you change it in BOTH places. I often "switch" vaults when logging into websites. For example, I just looked at our banking information, and when I click on my 1Password Extension icon in Safari, the bank's login showed up. Then I logged into one of my automobile forums. When clicking on the 1Password icon, the auto forum didn't show up because I was still using the "shared" vault. That's seriously NOT a big deal at all. All I do is hit + 1 and it immediately switches to the Primary vault where all of MY logins are stored. I just learned about using the 'Command' key. It's pretty sweet! I'm constantly bouncing back 'n forth between sites that my wife & I share, and sites that are just for me. Again, it's NOT a big deal. I hit the Command & 1 key at the same time and the login info I need immediately shows up, and the Command & 2 keys to switch back to our shared vault. Hope this helps! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eegorebulbous‌ It seems @robbski‌ has done a pretty comprehensive explanation of how it should work :smile: All I can really add is a link to a guide we have on Sharing a vault. Sometimes a few screen shots of what to expect can help.

Now you can both use the same Dropbox account if you wish. If you do all you need to do is skip out the middle section in that guide titled Sharing your vault, the part sandwiched between Preparing your vault for sharing and Accessing a shared vault.

If you would like your wife to have her own vault then you simply set up a new vault, just like you did with yourself and to add a secondary vault follow the steps in the guide above. If you want your secondary vault to be her primary vault that's fine too and then you'd want to follow this guide Starting Over and when you select a keychain you ensure it's the secondary one.

If you've been using 1Password on your iOS device for a while then I'm guessing you're either running 1Password 4 or 5 for iOS and if 5 with the extra features unlocked. Adding a secondary vault is pretty easy and it's all contained in Vaults">Settings > Vaults and the pertinent part is:

Adding, Switching, and Removing Vaults

To add another vault to your iOS device, tap Settings > Vaults > Add Vault, then select Dropbox. See Sync with Dropbox, starting with Step 3: Authorize 1Password in Dropbox, for step-by-step setup instructions.

To switch between vaults, tap Settings > Vaults, then choose the vault you’d like to switch to.

To remove a vault from your iOS device, tap the info button to the right of the vault’s name, then tap Remove Vault.

If you have any questions post back here.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

There are several ways to skin this cat depending upon whether your wife wants access to only the shared items and has none that are unique to her, is willing to look in 2 vaults if she does have her own items, etc..

The key issue here is that 1pw does not provide a way to display or search across multiple vaults and my wife among others isn't going to poke around in different vaults looking for something. Beyond that, I don't want to do so either, for instance in the case where I log into a site unique to me to purchase something and then would have to switch back and forth between vaults to access credit card info (a shared item) etc..

This issue and various workarounds have been discussed in other threads; this one in particular: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/148513/#Comment_148513

The solution/workflow that works for us is detailed in post 29 of that thread.

• eegorebulbous
    eegorebulbous
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all -- oshloel -- I think your use case is most similar to mine -- I don't expect my wife will be modifying much of anything (at least for the moment) -- and if I have a password that doesn't work, I can always then try copying it from her vault. I want to be able to search / etc... everything, so having one master vault I merge other stuff into will work -- hopefully they add more full support for our scenario down the road as well :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eegorebulbous‌ I'm glad you've found a suggestion that fits in with your workflow. If you have any questions just post back here :smile:

This discussion has been closed.