Backups and agilekeychain

Options
macbuz
macbuz
Community Member

I've been poking around a bit and come to realize that my MacApp Store 1P v5 stores it's backups in an entirely new location (MBP ▸ Users ▸ xxx ▸ Library ▸ Containers ▸ 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper ▸ Data ▸ Library ▸ Backups). What I also noticed is there is no agilekeychain stored in that location.

I still have a pile of backups at the previous location (MBP ▸ Users ▸ xxx ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ 1Password_old ▸ Backups) and there IS an agilekeychain stored here.

Do I not worry about no keychain in the new location? Can I delete the old keychain? The old backups are too old to keep and am ready to get rid of them (just doing some house cleaning).

Thank you.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P5 stores its backups as .1P4_zip files so the absence of a keychain file in the backups folder is nothing at all to worry about.

You can certainly delete the old (keychain) backups once you're completely confident that 1P5 contains all your data and is working properly.

Stephen

• macbuz
    macbuz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen. Yes, all is working well, just a bit of discovery. Thank you for that re the old files.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @macbuz,

On behalf of Stephen_C, you're welcome.

Just want to mention that 1Password 4 and 5 for Mac doesn't use agilekeychain as the internal database format. It uses OnePassword.sqlite now for internal database and when you enable the sync via Dropbox, it will then export the .agilekeychain format in order to sync with other 1Password apps.

For backups, it will backup your .sqlite file, compress it, and then rename it to .1P4_zip.

For iCloud and Wi-Fi sync, there are no separate sync files we would use, it'd just sync directly to Apple's CloudKit servers under your iCloud account and Wi-Fi just pushes data directly in both ways.

You might find this guide useful about the files we use and its location: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/data-locations

• macbuz
    macbuz
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mike, - as they say 'knowledge is power', so I appreciate the additional insight regarding backups etc.

Buz

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macbuz‌ If you have any more questions please do post :smile:

This discussion has been closed.