Deletion of folders not synced after merge

Options
rompazong
rompazong
Community Member

Hello,

I use 1Password 4.2.2 on OS X 10.9.5 with folder sync to keep my data in sync between multiple Macs. Unfortunately folder sync randomly stops working on one of them. I don’t understand why this happens, because the volume with the folder on it is always available. So far I simply reactivated folder sync, as soon as I noticed that my data is not being synced anymore. 1Password then told me it would merge the data and everything seemed to be fine. But recently I noticed, that some deleted folders still exist after a merge. Usually folder deletion gets synced just fine with the normal sync process.

Question 1: Why does folder sync suddenly stop working?
Question 2: Why does the merge process after reactivating sync not sync folder deletion?

Your help would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Hi @rompazong‌,

Thanks for writing in.

Answer 1: That's a good question! One I don't have a specific answer for, unfortunately. When it has stopped working we would need to get a Diagnostics Report to sift through it to look for hints about why things aren't syncing anymore. We've made a ton of improvements to sync in v5 and v5.1 (out soon-ish), and I'm hoping that sync will behave a lot better for users. Unfortunately that update won't be available for your 10.9.5 Mac.

Answer 2: Merging takes the safe route. During a merge any object that's deleted on only one side is revived because we don't want to assume that the user wants the deletion to propagate. It may be annoying in some cases, but when dealing with user's data you can't be too careful.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• rompazong
    rompazong
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your insightful answers @rickfillion!

More robust sync is great news and I will switch to Yosemite and v5 soon anyway. So here's hope that further investigation will not be necessary for that problem.

Staying on the cautious side when merging is a good choice obviously, but what's strange is that the folders did not get revived on the other synced Macs. They only exist on the one that had lost the sync now. I guess that behavior is a bug then?

(Correction to first post: currently using 4.4.2)

• Hi @rompazong‌,

That is indeed strange. Are other changes syncing through to those devices?

Rick

• rompazong
    rompazong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion,

Yes they are. Even if I create or delete other folders, it gets synced just fine. Anyway, I will probably stay away from the merge function in the future.

• @rompazong‌ : I would love to get more information about this issue to determine if there's a bug that we should fix. Would you be willing to run some tests for me to help me out with that? If so, could you tell me how technical of a user you are? Is using the Terminal something you've done before? This would help me tailor instructions.

Thanks

Rick

• rompazong
    rompazong
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion : I would have loved to help you with that, but I did a fresh installation of Yosemite and 1Password 5 in the meantime. To make sure there is nothing wrong with my data, I went back to my last backup before the merge and re-added all changes by hand.

Thank you for your assistance. You guys really do a great job on this forum!

• Hi @rompazong‌,

Good to see you're up and running again. If you see anything funny going on with Sync or any other part of the app please let us know. We're here to help (and fix bugs, and add features :smile: ).

Rick

This discussion has been closed.