Can't get 1password to work for Post Office Savings website

Options
Ken_Griffiths
Ken_Griffiths
Community Member

I am new to 1password and bought the pro version today as it said there were additional things like custom fields etc.

I had experienced some difficulty automatically logging into the following website:
https://www.pofssavecredit.co.uk/POFS-NPS/do/login?methodname=displayPresignin

Hence I purchased the 1password app in the hope that the custom fields would solve my issues. However, try as I might, I just can't get 1password to correctly fill the fields of userID and date of birth.

Can anyone suggest a fix/workaround for this login page please.

Thanks

Ken Griffiths

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Ken_Griffiths

I was able to get this working by manually saving the login on my Mac using these instructions:

This type of form capture is also possible on Windows:

If you do not already have 1Password for Mac or Windows you can do this in the evaluation version available here:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ken_Griffiths
    Ken_Griffiths
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, I have a windows PC and will go try it now. Thanks for the support, it is very much appreciated.

Ken

• Ken_Griffiths
    Ken_Griffiths
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Ben, that method worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I had not yet installed 1password on my PC and didn't realise it had such advanced features. I live and learn.

Ken

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member
    Options

@Ken_Griffiths I'd be interested to know if you were able to get this working on the 2nd page of the Post Office log-in screen (where it asks you to enter a number of characters from your security number; different characters are requested each time). I've not been able to get the 2nd Post Office Savings/Credit Card login page working with 1Password since the 1PW Safari extension was updated to version 4.2.x (and agilebits changed the method they use to fill the fields on the webpage). I reported this issue to agilebits last year and they have never been able to get it working since then. It works fine on the 1st log-in page but completely fails to fill the fields on the 2nd page - even after I manually created the required custom web form fields using 1Password v3.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Ken_Griffiths
    Ken_Griffiths
    Community Member
    Options

Stuart, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this software... I think you will know a lot more than me. I was happy it worked for the first login screen and then manually entered the three digits for the second page. I assumed because the post office vary the three that it was not capable.

I will, this coming weekend, now I know it maybe possible, try to see if the software can overcome the second login and I will have a 'play'. If I find the answer, I will let you know in this thread.

Thanks for that ... I just assumed the second login page would not be possible because it varied, but you're right to raise this issue. There must be a workaround for it. The 1password software appears capable of doing most things.

Ken

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths. I hope you have better success than I did! Like I mentioned, I had both login screens working absolutely fine for about a year. Then agilebits changed the code in their Safari extension in version 4.2.x and the 2nd login screen stopped "filling". I spent quite some time working with agilebits support guys but they said it was a poorly designed website and they removed the old 'workaround' code from their extension that used to allow 1PW to fill the fields on the 2nd login page. More and more financial websites seem to be using the 2 page login and random characters from passwords approach so I hope agilebits will be able to resolve this issue in the future.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stukey, being able to fill random characters that a login page asks for is quite complicated, but you're correct that, for some sites, this was possible in 1Password 3 for Mac. But it really depends on exactly how it works on each site that asks for that sort of information.

For example, if a site asks you to enter certain characters from a password or code, has a separate field for each character, and the name of each field always corresponds to the specific character that needs to be entered, then it was possible in version 3 to add web form details for the field names & characters in order to fill them properly. In other words, if the fields were always consistently filled with the same character, and only certain fields showed up on the site each time, we could fill them with 1Password 3. This won't work with 1Password 4 or 5 because web form details cannot be added/edited as freely as in version 3.

On the other hand, truly random characters and field names are not something we ever supported. If the field names don't correspond to the specific characters that need to be entered, 1Password has no way of knowing which characters the website is asking for, or which character to enter in which field. That's not to say it's impossible for us to get this to work for a particular site, but getting it to work on one site doesn't mean it would work on any others - just that one (and it could stop working if the site makes a change).

Now, I should have prefaced this all by saying I'm not a developer, and this is rather tricky to explain, so I hope what I've just written makes some sense. If you have more questions about that, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.