Two users with two Apple IDs on one Mac

Options
keithodland
keithodland
Community Member

I am setting up my elderly parents with 1Password. They have one Mac with two login accounts and two individual Apple IDs. Do I need to purchase two separate licenses for 1Password. Brand new iMac running Yosemite. My preference is keep it as easy as possible instead of cheap but only want to purchase two licenses if necessary. Thank you.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You have the choice of buying from AgileBits web store or from Apple's App Store. If buying from Agile, one license will be enough in that situation. If buying from Apple, I am not sure; I think that once 1PW is installed on the machine, any user can use it.

The only advantage of buying from Apple is that iCloud sync is available, which they may not need. If sync is wanted, both versions allow Dropbox sync, which is better in some respects.

Either way, buy soon as there is a sale on now.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm particularly interested in this thread. I have the identical question except that, in my case, I already have 1P (MAS version) installed on my iMac and MBP. Both machines have two logins, mine and my wife's. At this point, she is not using 1P at all although I use it for every web login that I have.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Plato,

As danco mentioned, as long as you install 1Password from the Mac App Store on one of the Mac user accounts, the other user accounts on the same Mac will be able to use it. The only problem I can think of is that updates would need to be installed from your own Mac user account on each Mac, assuming the other user account(s) are signed into the Mac App Store with different Apple IDs.

If you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Drew_AG

The updates don't concern me. I do all updates anyway. I have one question and I hope that I can word it properly.

If I go into my wife's Mac login account, can I set her up AS IF THE SETUP ON MY ACCOUNT DOES NOT EVEN EXIST? I'm thinking kinda like using Word. I loaded it and I obtained all updates. However, when my wife uses it, the fact that I can also use it does not impact her usage in the slightest. Am I making sense?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@Plato - If you used your AppleId on the MAS to install 1P on the Mac, then you and ANY other user on that Mac can use 1P. That means that they can setup their own vault and have their own Master Password, etc. The only thing they can't do is update 1P without your AppleID. For example, I have five different Macs in my house. I'm the Admin acct on each one, I install 1P (or any other software) on all of them, and any additional login accounts can use 1P as if they were the the owner of 1P. I can even be using 1p in my login acct on the MBA remotely while my wife is using hers locally. HTH

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis

Great. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Yes, I did purchase from the MAS using my Apple ID.

Thanks much.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to add, the separation has nothing to do with anything special in 1Password and it's all about the fact that unless you go in and do a lot of tampering, you can't access each other's files from your own account. OS X has been like this for a while, you have read and write privileges to your files while even an administrator can't without using something called root. As a result, every user account in OS X can run their own vault and if you want to share a primary you need to look at the same sync methods as if you were syncing between machines.

• Terrybeit
    Terrybeit
    Community Member
    Options

I have a variant of this question. I too plan to (thankfully) use one license on my mac with two user accounts (one for me and the other for my wife on the same mac). However, I started by downloading 1Password (twice) from the Agile site (one on each account-they are both syncing via Dropbox). Do I need to uninstall the Agile version before I download it from the Mac store? The only reason that I may prefer to buy it off of the Mac App store is that it is automatically updated. Any advice?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Terrybeit,

We recommend deleting the AgileBits Store version after you've got the Mac App Store version setup.

Please see this guide for details:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

Let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help! :)

• Terrybeit
    Terrybeit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP,

Thank you for the quick reply! I will go ahead and do the switch over.

Cheers,

Terry

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! :)

• Terrybeit
    Terrybeit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JasperP,

I installed the Mac version and removed the website app. All went very smoothly just as you advised for both my profile and that of my wife.

Great support!

Thank you very much.

Terry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Terry ( @Terrybeit ),

I'm so glad to hear that Jasper's instructions got you all sorted out! I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.