Sharing an entire vault

Options
Smerl
Smerl
Community Member

My husband and I want to share the same vault. Does he have to purchase his own license? (I recently purchased my license through the Apple App Store. We both use IOS 10.10.2)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smerl,

I'm assuming you meant "Mac OS 10.10.2" and that your question is about the Mac version of 1Password, but if you have any questions about the iOS version, just let us know.

If you bought the Mac version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, and if your husband uses a different Apple ID on his own Mac (or another user account on your Mac), you can set up Apple's Family Sharing option, which would allow your husband to download 1Password 5 from the Mac App Store for no additional charge. Apple has steps to set up Family Sharing on their support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

Does that help? If you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• Smerl
    Smerl
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, very helpful. And yes, Mac OS 10.10.2. Thanks!

• Smerl
    Smerl
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I set up Family Sharing. On my husband's computer I was able to download my purchased 1Password app for his use. However he was not able to sign in as an existing user (me - aka our shared vault). He either had to set up a new account or restore from backup but, he does not have access to my backups on iCloud. Is there a way other than disabling the iCloud backup on my computer, creating a new back up through Dropbox, then sharing that folder with him, then going back to my computer to change my backup back to iCloud (so it syncs to all my devices again)??? Help please...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Unfortunately, iCloud doesn't permit sharing between people with different Apple IDs. If you switch to Dropbox for syncing, you will be able to share your vault that way. Directions for setting that up are here.

The inability to share iCloud data among users is an Apple restriction.

• Smerl
    Smerl
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smerl,

Sorry for the confusion about that! Apple's Family Sharing option allows other family members to download apps you've purchased from the App Store, but sharing the data from your 1Password vault is a different matter entirely.

hawkmoth is correct: Unfortunately, iCloud does not let you share the data with a different iCloud account. If you want to share a 1Password vault with your husband, you'll need to use Dropbox sync instead. To do that, you can follow the steps from the link in hawkmoth's message. If you need any help with that, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.