password mini: Password Generator History

Options
colinp
colinp
Community Member

Dear Agile Bits:
The functionality of the little "history" item at the bottom of the Password Generator has gotten worse with recent upgrades. Please add a date field to the list of history items and the ability to copy the generated password from within Password Mini. This would allow me to quickly update a Login that somehow failed to automatically update when a password changed. Currently, there is an unsorted list of history items without a clear-cut way to copy the password (without having to launch the full application.)

Thank you!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinp,

We can certainly look into that but I'm worried something a little more fundamental might be at fault here.

The history is based on the website field in your Password items. If you're on Amazon's login page the history will only show you Password items with a URL for Amazon. Now a new Password item is created each time you make use of the Password Generator in 1Password mini, either using the fill or copy option. The idea behind this is as a safety net, so you always have a copy of the password generated by the 1Password Generator. What is also meant to happen though is if you update a Login item with a password that exists in a Password item for that same site, the Password item is meant to be removed as it is now redundant.

So my concern is if you have multiple Password items, enough so that you're requesting a visible date in that particular submenu then it would seem possible something else is at play, does that make sense? I would be interested in know how you currently use the Password Generator, Password items and your particular update strategy, just to see if I can better understand how this came about.

Just as a quick aside, from what I can see the password history is ordered from newest to oldest when you go from top to bottom.

I do hope you can help me understand how you're currently using 1Password.

• colinp
    colinp
    Community Member
    Options

Here's my example from earlier today. Using Chrome, I logged into a state (.gov) site to check on a financial transaction. The site requested that I create a new password since it had been six months or so since I last logged on. It required one instance of the old password and two of the new. I opened 1P mini and copied my existing password. I pasted it in the first field. Then I clicked the Generator/Fill and it filled both the other fields. Then I hit "submit" and the 1 Password dialogue ("Do you want to save this password") box failed to appear. So I opened 1P mini, went to the Generator and the history field had four entries "MYSTATE.GOV" (presumably because the site, which I've used for 4 years or so, has regularly required me to change passwords.) Since several had the same name, I had no idea which was created the minute before.

Next, I clicked on the top one in hopes that it would either open a dialogue box (showing perhaps date, a password field, etc) or simply respond with "password copied", in which case I would have just edited my existing login by pasting the new password in. Instead nothing happened. In fact, at this point I'm not sure why the history feature is there at all.

To fix the issue, I had to open the stand alone, app, search by MYSTATE.GOV, sort by date and copy the password to my Login.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinp,

Normally we're pretty good about catching pages dedicated to a password change where it requests your original password once and the new one twice. If it had (I do realise I needed to say if there) and the dialog to update your password had appeared the Password item generated would have been deleted instantly. Obviously not a lot of use to you there.

Manually updating a password in the Login item won't remove the related Password item but we do have an option in Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords that will remove any Password items where the URLs and passwords match (so the password has been successfully recorded).

Still, that won't take care of instances where you have several items collected over a period of time. Unfortunately for those you you would want to confirm the Login works and then delete the now obsolete Password items relating to that Login item.

I can't make any promises regarding your request but it will be considered.

• colinp
    colinp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Littlebobby,

This scenario happens to me about once a month or so. The weird thing is, that I believe my older version of 1P offered me this functionality. Right now, that History field has no real purpose that I can discern.

Also, I don't really care if I generate a bunch of old Password items... I rarely actually engage with those... Logins are everything on a day to day basis. Plus, if need be, I can always sort the Password items by date to determine which is most recent.

Finally, I do use the "Remove" tool occasionally to clean things up.

Thanks for your consideration of this.

Colin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinp,

Thank you for your feedback & details about the password generator history! You're absolutely right that it needs a little work, and in fact we already have open tickets for the issues you mentioned. I don't have a timeframe for when they'll be fixed, but I can definitely let our developers know you're also experiencing those problems. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

For the problem with not being able to easily differentiate multiple items in the password history, I'm afraid I don't have a good suggestion for a workaround, other than to check out the Passwords category in 1Password or 1Password mini. However, in case it helps, you can use the Shift-Command-C (⇧⌘C) keyboard shortcut to copy the password from a selected item under the History list in the password generator.

I'm sorry again for the confusion & inconvenience! Hopefully we'll improve that before too long. If you need anything else, please let us know - we're always glad to help!

ref: OPM-424
    ref: OPM-724

• colinp
    colinp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

The Shift-Command-C option is great! If there were a little mouse-over "help balloon" saying "Shift-Command-C" to copy password" that might do the trick.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinp,

I'm happy that was a helpful tip! I think a "help balloon" would be great - plus some other work to get the password history submenu working well in general. ;)

If you have more questions, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.