Day 2 of 1Password and not operating

GranPete
GranPete
Community Member

Set up free trial yesterday and added several log ins to my vault. Worked well - 1Password appeared for each web site I visited. And having completed autofill and revisiting that web site, !Password worked as advertised. Today nothing is working. First, when I visit a new website and enter my password, 1Password doesn't appear to allow me to complete the autofill process even though the vault is open. Second, when I revisit sites that I put in my vault yesterday, 1Password doesn't open them. Can you help?

Comments

• GranPete
    GranPete
    Community Member

I think I need to correct my previous post. I'm probably not understanding how iPassword works. Just went to my vault, clicked on one of the logins I've saved and it opened. So I guess that I was mistaken in assuming that when I visited a website that had been stored in my vault Password would immediately complete the password fill in process - I was using !Password incorrectly. But the other problem still exists - when I go to a website that isn't in my vault !Password isn't appearing to allow me to complete the auto fill process.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I think you might find the following two knowledge base articles helpful:

Saving a login

Using a saved login

If, after reading those, you have more questions do please post again.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GranPete,

Were the links from Stephen helpful? I wanted to elaborate on a few things, in case it helps:

1Password doesn't actually "autofill" your login credentials. That is to say, 1Password never fills a login form on a website unless you explicitly tell it to do so by double-clicking a Login item in the main 1Password app, or by selecting the Login item from the 1Password extension in your web browser (or using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut). We have more information here: Why doesn’t 1Password automatically fill forms when the page loads?

If your login credentials are already filled when you open a website (and you didn't open a Login item from the main 1Password app), it sounds like your web browser saved your username/password for that site and is set to automatically fill it in for you. If you'd like to turn off your browser's autofill feature, you can follow the steps here: Disabling your web browser’s built-in password manager

I guess that I was mistaken in assuming that when I visited a website that had been stored in my vault Password would immediately complete the password fill in process

That's correct, you'll need to take an action to have 1Password fill your login info. As I mentioned above, you can easily have 1Password fill your login details on a site by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut. Or if you open the Login item from the main 1Password app, that should open the site as well as fill your login details.

when I go to a website that isn't in my vault !Password isn't appearing to allow me to complete the auto fill process.

In order for 1Password to fill your login credentials on a website, you'll need to create a Login item for it. Normally you can do that by manually logging into the site, and 1Password should then prompt you to save a new Login item.

Because all websites work a bit differently, there are some sites where 1Password isn't able to prompt you to save a new Login item. In that case, you can manually save a new Login for that site.

Does that help to clear up some confusion? If I misunderstood or you need more help, please let us know. Thanks!

• GranPete
    GranPete
    Community Member

Stephen and Drew,

Thanks for your help. Maybe it's coincidence but yesterday for all the sites I visited the 1Password prompt appeared whereas on the new sites I visited today it has not. So I tried the Manually save a new Login option. Go to the website, enter user name and password but don't log in, then open 1Password Vault. When I do this the Vault page doesn't look like the example on the site. Specifically doesn't say "Search Primary Vault" and include the Gear icon. So far haven't found a way to make that Gear icon appear so I've resorted to filling all the website information in manually which is quite cumbersome.

Am I missing something? Is this a Safari problem?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GranPete,

That's very strange! I don't know why you wouldn't see the Search field or gear icon when you open 1Password mini (or the 1Password extension). What exactly do you see instead? Would you be able to take a screenshot of what you see? If so, please make sure to edit out any personal/private information, if it shows any. To include the screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

In addition to that, it will help if you can let us know some additional details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? (I think you have the AgileBits Store version, but wanted to confirm)
    • Have you tried this in other browsers, or just Safari?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Safari? (In Safari, go to the menu for Safari > Preferences, then click the Extensions tab)

Thanks in advance!

• GranPete
    GranPete
    Community Member

Took screen shot of demo. Version 10.10.3 of OS X. 1Password version is 5.3.1 Extension version is 4.3.1 Only tried in Safari. I downloaded from Agilebits store - I think.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GranPete,

Thanks for the screenshot! That's the main 1Password app, but when you follow the steps to manually save a new Login, you need to use 1Password mini, which is the small 1Password icon in the menu bar of your Mac (or in your browser's toolbar, also referred to as the 1Password extension). When you click the 1Password mini icon in the menu bar, it should look like the screenshot from the instructions (i.e. with the Search field and gear icon).

Hopefully that helps to clear up the confusion, but please let us know if you need more help with that!

• GranPete
    GranPete
    Community Member

Drew,

Thanks, that solved it. When I turned my computer on today the 1Password app was on my desktop, so I clicked on that. I didn't notice that the 1Password icon had appeared in the toolbar.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @GranPete,

Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew_AG and Stephen_C, you're most welcome. We're glad you've got 1Password up and running! And we'll be here for you if any other questions arise. :)

This discussion has been closed.