1PasswordAnywhere not working

Options
erinsanders
erinsanders
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

From what I can find this was supposed to be fixed, but I am still getting this message:

A problem occurred when loading the "https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

I've verified file permissions and everything listed on this page: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/key-data-file-could-not-be-loaded

but still getting the error. Please advise, I need to be able to access this.

thanks!

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erinsanders,

Sorry you're having trouble accessing 1PasswordAnywhere!

First, just to verify, are you trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere from the Dropbox website, or from local storage on your computer? I believe it only works from the Dropbox website.

Next, can you please navigate in Dropbox to 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default and see if there is a file there called encryptionKeys.js?

Also, have you by any chance reached your Dropbox storage limit? If so, it may be preventing this file from syncing.

If the encryptionKeys.js file is missing, you can make 1Password recreate it by changing your Master Password.

To change your Master Password on your Mac, launch 1Password and go to 1Password 5 > Preferences from the menu bar and click the Security tab > Change master password. (Choose something strong and memorable!) Once you have completed the change, wait a short moment for sync to complete. Try again to access 1PasswordAnywhere from the Dropbox website. This time it should work!

• erinsanders
    erinsanders
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Thanks for the quick response. I'm accessing from both dropbox and the local storage, and they both give me the same error. i've tried opening both in safari and Firefox.

The encryptionKeys.js file is there. (both online and locally.)

I haven't reached my limit, Dropbox is definitely syncing.

Any other ideas?

• peri
    Options

Hey @erinsanders. Thanks for the update!

Can you confirm that you only have one .agilekeychain in Dropbox? Also, this error can sometimes occur if syncing hasn't yet completed. Can you verify that sync has fully completed?

If you can verify all this, the easiest way to resolve this error is to change your master password on your Mac. This will recreate the missing encryptionKeys.js file in Dropbox.

To change your master password on your Mac, open 1Password and go into Preferences> Security > Change Master Password. Once you have completed the change, wait a short moment for sync to complete. Then go ahead and change your Master Password back if you like.

Once you've done that, and ensured that sync has finished, go ahead and access 1PasswordAnywhere again. Make sure to do so by selecting the 1Password.html file in your .agilekeychain in the Dropbox website rather than the Dropbox folder on your Mac.

Let us know how that goes! Thanks!

• erinsanders
    erinsanders
    Community Member
    Options

You guys are quick:-)

1. only one .agilekeychain in dropbox

2. Changed password. I know it synced, as i have 1password (same account) on two computers and the new password worked on second computer.

I accessed the 1password.html file again in dropbox online and I'm still receiving the same message:-(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erinsanders,

If it were me the next thing I would try would be to disable Dropbox sync on one of your Macs and have 1Password delete the .agilekeychain by ticking the Delete data from Dropbox checkbox. You can disable sync in 1Password 5.3 by setting the sync option to None. You would then give Dropbox a moment to synchronise the deletion of the .agilekeychain and once it has settled down you would have 1Password create a brand new .agilekeychain by setting up Dropbox sync once again.

All of that we can easily get away with in 1Password 4/5 for Mac as what is kept in Dropbox isn't your vault but the sync data and in times of troubleshooting we can easily throw it away and create anew if needed. When you launch 1Password on your other computer it will notify you that something is wrong and all you would do is enter 1Password's preferences and point this copy to the new .agilekeychain. Given they were in sync until now there shouldn't be any issues as it's when two copies have started to diverge that complication may arise.

Basically we're regenerating the entire .agilekeychain in the hopes that will resolve the issue. Now if you've found my explanation is just a little too high level and more concrete steps are required please do say and we'll put together a list of what's needed. Hopefully though that will get this sorted out for you :smile:

• FA1LURE
    FA1LURE
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening again to me.

A problem occurred when loading the "https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

Any word on a quick fix I can do on my end? Third time this has happened to me in the last year.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.10.4
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• e111077
    e111077
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening to me as well. The path to the url is correct. I went into dropbox and downloaded the encryptionKeys.js file and saw that the url was the same except there were added parameters after the ? defining the following parameters:
    _subject_uid
    w
    dl

It seems as if removing these parameters (which is what the 1password everywhere html page seems to be doing) makes Dropbox return a 403 error

• 3l3phant
    3l3phant
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Only started in the past few days. Using Chrome. Cleared cache. Turned off all extensions. Same issue in IE.

• andcarne
    andcarne
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that this occurs for me as well. The issue is definitely that 1Password Anywhere is not adding the GET parameters Dropbox (newly?) requires to grant permission to dl-web.dropbox.com/get/* URLs.

I'm assuming this is due to a recent change on Dropbox's side, as it started occurring without any update applied to 1Password on any of my machines. This may be difficult to get around as the w parameter appears to be a unique key to secure access to each file. I'm assuming likely session-based as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Dropbox made some changes that prevented 1PasswordAnywhere from being able to load the necessary files from the .agilekeychain, but they've been super helpful and deployed a fix for this yesterday.

I suspect that you're all happily using 1PasswordAnywhere again by now, but be sure to reach out if you have any further issues. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please see this new Lounge discussion for more current information.

This discussion has been closed.