Master password not working

Options
glennjenkins
glennjenkins
Community Member

I purchased 1Password yesterday and spent hours setting up my passwords on my Macbook. When I went to sync my ipad my master password would not work and now I can't get into 1Password! I saved the 1Password file on my dropbox so that I could sync with my iphone and ipad. Did I do something wrong for it to lock me out?

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Are you able to get into your data on the original Macbook installation? Just not on your synced devices? Or are you shut out everywhere? If you have forgotten your master password, there are some tips for dealing with that, here: I lost or forgot my Master Password. Do those help?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glennjenkins ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password! Like Hawkmoth suggests, I'd love to hear a bit more detail on where things are getting tangled up. Are you unable to open 1Password on your Mac with the Master Password? Or is it not being accepted on your iOS devices?

Please do have a look through the link provided in Hawkmoth's post. If you're still having trouble, please write back with as much detail as possible and we'll be happy to help get this resolved!

• glennjenkins
    glennjenkins
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am locked out of my Macbook where I originally installed. When I was setting it up yesterday, I logged in and out multiple times with no issues but once I downloaded it on my ipad and trying to sync with dropbox is when it would no longer let me login. I was never able to login to any other devices. I viewed the link prior to contacting you but none of it was helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glennjenkins ,

I'm sorry that you didn't find that article helpful. In particular, the part that most applies in your situation is the section about My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?. This article has several things that you can do to ensure that you are typing in the correct password. Unfortunately, if none of these steps work, then we may need to reset 1Password, as there is no way for us to help you access your data without that Master Password.

• glennjenkins
    glennjenkins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Unfortunately none of your suggestions or links were helpful to my situation. My concern is I have no idea why I was locked out of my account and would be extremely upset if this would happen in the future. It looks like I now have to start all over again after spending 2hrs setting this up. If I decide to discontinue using your service within the 30 days how do I go about getting my money back? Thanks for your time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glennjenkins: (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. You do not have an 'account' with us.

Rather, it sounds like you may have set up a different Master Password on your iPad than you did on your Mac. Like a phone number or postal address, if it’s not correct it doesn’t reach who it’s intended for — or in the case of the Master Password, 1Password doesn’t unlock as intended. There is no backdoor.

If you changed your Master Password, you can try to restore from a backup, sync from another device, or — failing that — simply start over. 1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• glennjenkins
    glennjenkins
    Community Member
    Options

@brently unfortunatly we would like to get a refund. I don't thing 1Password is the answer for my needs. What do you need to process my refund? Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glennjenkins,

I'm sorry that you feel 1Password isn't right for you at this time. I was able to locate your purchase of 1Password 5 for Mac in our sales records by the email address associated with your forum handle, and I have processed the refund as you requested. You should see it in your account within a few business days.

If you unlocked Pro Features in 1Password for iOS on your iPad, that purchase would have been handled by the iTunes/App Store so you'd need to contact Apple for a refund of that.

We encourage you to feel free to continue using 1Password on your Mac throughout the 30 day trial period if you'd like to, and we'll continue to help as much as we can. Perhaps starting over with a fresh installation will help you get things back on track.

Either way, our sincere thanks for giving 1Password a try. And whichever password manager you may end up using, we commend you for taking the extra steps to secure your data online. :)

• glennjenkins
    glennjenkins
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Vee, I really appreciate you getting back to me. I have a lot of friends that are really happy with your software its just not right for me at this time.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @glennjenkins. We'll be here for you if you ever change your mind. ;)

This discussion has been closed.