Dropbox Sync Never Completes

Options
sxross
sxross
Community Member

I have 3 macs, all with 1Password 5 on them. Two of them sync fine over dropbox. My iPhone syncs fine. My MBP goes into a sync spinner and never syncs. The passwords are all outdated. I've turned off dropbox sync on the MBP and reenabled it but that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@sxross

Check that you have a current version of Dropbox installed, if this affects more than just 1Password.

Sometimes permissions and such get messed up on Dropbox, rare but it does happen every now and then.

You can always install the latest version of Dropbox and if nothing changes you are no worse off. Simply install over the top of the current one. You do not need to uninstall anything prior to the new version. All your documents etc. will be safe.

We often find in the Dropbox forums this helps if the syncing never ends. I have found a few users who were on very old outdated clients. Its possible the MBP has an outdated version of the Dropbox client. It could have been a bad update from Dropbox that caused this to.

Again something easy to check prior to the staff jumping into this discussion.

https://www.dropbox.com/install

~thightower - Dropbox and 1Password moderator.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sxross,

Did thightower's answer help? Hopefully it did, but if you're still having trouble with that, can you please let us know some more details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running on each Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • If you add a new file to the Dropbox folder on your MBP, will it sync to your other Macs?
    • Which Mac(s) has all your latest 1Password data?

Thanks!

• sxross
    sxross
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox 3.8.6

1Password 5
    Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    Agile Web Store

iMacs are Mac App Store. MBP is Agile Web Store

If I add a file to dropbox on an iMac is does sync with the MBP

Both iMacs are in sync

I'm going to try installing new dropbox as @thightower suggests and also the Mac App Store version. That should work, right?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Well, if syncing is occurring at all, I doubt its the Dropbox client. So you can probably skip that step. But even if you go ahead, as I said it will not harm anything to reinstall Dropbox.

I think it maybe something else the staff may wish to look at possibly 1Password. Oh @Drew_AG I think the ball is in your court now.

I would wait and let the staff assist rather than reinstall 1Password.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

ps. I used 3.8.6 while it was in beta and never had an issue with 1Password syncing. But as we all know there are many factors that can affect syncing. I obviously wouldn't see them all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sxross,

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your MBP, since you have the Mac App Store version on your iMacs? It shouldn't make a difference in this case because both versions can sync via Dropbox, but if there isn't a reason for that, you could install the Mac App Store version on your MBP and set it up by syncing your vault from Dropbox (which should have all the latest data from your iMacs). If that works, you can delete the AgileBits Store version from your Mac (just drag 1Password 5.app to the Trash, don't use any app cleaning utilities).

On the other hand, if you want to keep using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 on your MBP, just let us know and we can continue with some more troubleshooting for Dropbox sync. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.