Basic Authentication / HTAccess / HTTP Auth [will work using Open and Fill in 1Password X]

Options

Comments

• JA1
    JA1
    Community Member
    Options

+1

One of the clear benefits of LastPass over 1Password is support for HTTP Auth, you guys can do this too!

• Thanks all! I've added your votes. :) We appreciate the interest as always.

• pax8888
    pax8888
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• migurski
    migurski
    Community Member
    Options

Do these +1’s count for anything? There’s four pages of them spanning two major releases.

Please add basic auth support.

• JonathanPool
    JonathanPool
    Community Member
    Options

This thread was what I needed to understand why basic authentication wasn't affected by 1Password. My admiration to those who have been patient enough to wait years for such a feature. I'm just starting my 1Password free trial, and after all the hype, and the impossibility of finding out what the price is to keep the application running after the trial ends, the lack of this feature and the company's secretive response to customers' requests for it have made it easy for me to terminate my trial and kiss 1Password good-bye.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joshaug,

I'm glad you've switched to 1Password! Thanks for taking the time to ask us about this.

Unfortunately (and as you've noticed) the 1Password extensions cannot currently fill those types of login windows, so you'll need to copy and paste your login credentials from 1Password to sign into those sites. We have more information about that here: How do I fill HTTP Authentication popup windows?

Have I missed any announcement or plan to get this implemented since there does appear to be a method to do so?

You haven't missed anything - we don't normally discuss future plans/features. We do occasionally receive requests from other customers to be able to fill HTTP Authentication popup windows, and I'll be happy to add your comments/request to our internal tracker so our developers know that this would also be a very important feature for you. But I can't make any promises about if/when that might be added to 1Password, as I simply don't know one way or the other. It would be a helpful feature for many of us too, so hopefully we'll be able to do something about that in a future version! :)

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that right now, but we truly appreciate that you took the time to write down your thoughts and feedback about it! As I said, I'll definitely forward that to our developers. Aside from that, I hope you're enjoying 1Password. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

ref: OPX-717

• Snelvuur
    Snelvuur
    Community Member
    Options

Lastpass had a major update looks nicer now, perhaps we should all switch to lastpass so they can take a note (see https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=275) they do support it, and frankly all these messages here are a bit of "bs" since i clicked through these pages and all i see is every time new people from agilebits and all they say is "thanks for your vote, we know the devs are aware of it" its like saying "yeah whatever" like many before me.. how freaking hard can this be? Examples are there, or at least add it for chrome or the browsers that do fully support it.

And if someone from agilebits responds, let them at least respond with "we are working on it, eta 3 months, 6 months whatever" if not (since i've seen the post too) then at least remove the "under consideration" part. Even the slowest developer in the world that i have been in contact which is a faster then you guys. Sure you got management and all on your neck, but if you do any form of agile/dev/ops whatever there should also be time for your own innovation and just add this feature. Simple example, i believe at google's you can work on your own stuff on a friday. Do something like that, i doubt your devs are that stupid that they cannot fix this in a day. Heck, i don't even code for windows, but if you give me the time that you guys have waited by now, i would have learned to code and implemented it.

Yeah, a bit much. But its just aggravation for years.

• MatthewWilkes
    MatthewWilkes
    Community Member
    Options

Add my +1 too.

Can you give us an idea of what feature requests have more +1s than this?

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely a +1 from me as well, I've used this feature a bunch with LastPass and not having it is a huge inconvenience.

• mehulkar
    mehulkar
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGT
    AGT
    Community Member
    Options

+1....

Using a password manager requires a high level of commitment from users and in order to make this commitment truly worthwhile, we put ALL of our passwords into it. It is frustrating to have passwords for basic auth that need to be handled differently from all the others.

Keep in mind that many users might not even know what "basic auth" is. These folks will be puzzled and waste time trying to figure out why 1password is "broken" and can't handle some kinds of sites.

• aismagilov
    aismagilov
    Community Member
    Options

I've even registered here just to put my '+1'.
    This is really annoying when I need to copy&paste my crap manually, and I have plenty of stuff with basic HTTP auth (e.g. Cisco's WLCs).

• earlymarket
    earlymarket
    Community Member
    Options

Am slightly peeved to find that 1password cannot handle basic auth. It's obviously possible as Roboform does it fine so it seems an odd omission.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @earlymarket,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here. I'll be sure to add your vote to the issue in our internal tracker. :)

• coderkevin
    coderkevin
    Community Member
    Options

I was in disbelief when I tried this and it didn't work.
    When I saw this thread, I was incredulous and genuinely surprised that a company like this would ignore paying customers for over 2 years! So much so that I registered here to add my 2 cents (although it seems they won't matter!)

penderworth the AgileBits team member says:

Thanks all! I've added your votes. :) We appreciate the interest as always.

Do you really appreciate the interest? It doesn't look like you do. You should drop the platitudes and shoot straight with your customers. If you're never going to do this, tell us, so we can move on.

• davegardner
    davegardner
    Community Member
    Options

Just registered also to add my vote for this feature. The lack of meaningful feedback is really quite disappointing.

• dteare
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your passion for 1Password and voting up this feature. We really do appreciate it and yes, absolutely, +1s help a lot. They don't always result in immediate results (as you can see in this thread), but they certainly do help.

I spent some time implementing this on Chrome and got it close but I hit a few technical snags that are not that easy to address. Given enough time I am sure I could figure something out, but to be quite frank, it requires more than I'm able to invest at this time.

I'd like this feature myself so I wish things went smoother. I'll try again sometime but I have to be honest and say I have a lot of other things on my plate as well. And yes, my team's plate is pretty full as well; otherwise I would have moved this from my plate to theirs long ago :)

• afaerber
    afaerber
    Community Member
    Options

Well, for what it's worth: +1

• jay64
    jay64
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare,

Thank you for your reply, it's the first time we get any sort of indication from Agilebits.

What I'm wondering is... is there something preventing you from using the same methods as Roboform or Lastpass? And what about other browsers like Safari and FF - would those be easier to crack than Chrome?

Is there a phone number we can call and pester management until they give you more time for this feature? =) It's really a shame, having to keep Roboform (which is nothing short of garbage on OS X) just for a few basic auth sites.

Lastly, why not develop it and charge a little something to those who want to unlock that feature? Wouldn't it recoup some of the investment? I'd gladly pay $10, even $15 to get this issue out of my life.

• teonline
    teonline
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Is there anything happening on this topic? Are there any plans to implement basic auth support?

• scottsb
    scottsb
    Community Member
    Options

@jay64: Dave Teare (dteare) is the founder of AgileBits. He is the management. :-)

• jay64
    jay64
    Community Member
    Options

whoa!! I had no idea. So the idea of nagging management won't work. I'd still pay extra for the feature though, hopefully that's somewhat motivating :)

• m6k
    m6k
    Community Member
    Options

+1

for what it is worth :(

• hannesk
    hannesk
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• nanu68
    nanu68
    Community Member
    Options

I'm really surprised that such a highly acclaimed / sophisticated software is not able to solve basic authentification. I would need it for Firefox

• mien
    mien
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• lyricnz
    lyricnz
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    I mean, how f**king hard can it be?

• Finne Fortuin
    Finne Fortuin
    Community Member
    Options

+1 and then some

• rebles
    rebles
    Community Member
    Options

Came to this thread via googling "1password basic auth" to find this thread is 2 years old. When can we get this support?

• luciano_santana
    luciano_santana
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare what can we do to help or to push this feature to become real ? People have been asking for it for quite long time. I use it daily , so it's the thing I miss most when I migrated from KeePass. It seems that LastPass also have this feature. If KeePass and LastPass can do it I'm pretty much confident that 1Password team make it happen too.

So, how can we help ?
    :)

This discussion has been closed.