Basic Authentication / HTAccess / HTTP Auth [will work using Open and Fill in 1Password X]

Options

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @4EverMaAT,

1Password and the 1Password Browser Extension currently don't work with basic auth requests - sorry. The reason is the extension only interacts with the browsers using standard JavaScript browser APIs and the major browsers don't have global support that allows us to work.

So sadly at the moment we won't offer to save or fill when using the 1Password Browser Extension. Now 1Password 4 for Windows has a feature not available to 1Password for Mac users which may be of interest and it's called auto-type. This link, Using auto-type will show you how to use it and it can work to help with filling at least because it's using a feature in Windows and it's bypassing the extension.

Obviously we'd love to do something better here, only time will tell but I do understand your frustration.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @4EverMaAT. I've merged your thread in with an existing feature request for these kinds of Logins. For your specific case, auto-type on Windows should help like Lil Bobby explained. Otherwise, my reply from March 10 is still the latest news we have to share on HTTP authentication.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to @Scipio

The easiest way until now is:

Create a new site in 1Password and fill in the URL like this:

https://username:password@domain.com

So if, for example your username is john and your password is secret and the URL is https://www.agilebits.com then fill the URL in like this:

https://john:secret@www.agilebits.com

• t_stallmann
    t_stallmann
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add another +1 to this! It would be very useful for me to have HTTP basic auth passwords stored on firefox..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to let us know, @t_stallmann! I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker. :)

ref: OPX-717

• Travis_Carden
    Travis_Carden
    Community Member
    Options

+1 This is a considerable drawback for me as a web developer, because of the number of web applications I use or develop that use HTTP basic auth. It forces me to copy/paste all the time or adopt a hybrid solution of 1Password + Firefox (pain!) or 1Password + LastPass. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. While it is a huge deal for some of us, we haven't yet put resources into finding a solution for this across multiple browsers since the other things we've been working on do a lot of good for a greater number of users. It's on our "nice to have" list though, so hopefully it's something we can add in the future. Thanks for sharing your pain with us. :(

• muescha
    muescha
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me

• r3cgm
    r3cgm
    Community Member
    Options

+1 please! Like some other user here who still keeps Roboform installed just for this one feature, I'm in the same boat as with LastPass. I would like to be using 1Password only but still have to keep LP installed for this one feature. :/

• mefynn
    mefynn
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

:) :+1:

• joris85
    joris85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1password,

I am really happy with your extension!
    The people who use the most passwords ever are developers i guess.
    Also they have allot of http basic authentications a day.
    I think i have er around at least 20 a day.

I login in more than 100 times a day i guess.

Now i know that free password utility's can fill this basic authentication and a really professional one can't doe that.
    I did not complained before because i thought it would be impossible if you guys do not add this feature.
    But is it possible so here my message :-)

Dear 1password, to make allot of developers happy please add this feature to the extension!

Best regards,
    Joris Stolker

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joris85: I think you're right, but I'll go one better and say that web developers seem to have more logins than the rest of us! As much as we'd like to add this and many other features to 1Password, there are only so many hours in a day, and a lot of more popular requests. Ultimately we need to focus on where we can do the most good for the greatest number of people, but perhaps in the future we'll be able to add basic auth support. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you!

• joris85
    joris85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenth,

I really hope this comes because it is time saving for Allot of people!

I understand good that it has to build and that it cost some time.

But look at the basic of your extension.
    Fill in passwords on websites and save them.
    The fact that this does not work feels more like a bug to me (;

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But look at the basic of your extension. Fill in passwords on websites and save them. The fact that this does not work feels more like a bug to me (;

@joris85: Not really. The 1Password extension fills information into forms directly on webpages. Basic auth prompts are not part of the webpage at all, but handled by the browser itself. And while this is possible in some browsers, not all browsers' extension frameworks even allow extensions to access a prompt from the browser itself. So even if we do support this in the future, there will still be a lot of users who cannot benefit due to browser limitations. :(

• joris85
    joris85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenth,

Thanks!

I understand the application limits as developer.
    But for me as end user i do not care about difference of webpage or browser login and limits.
    It just should work (;
    In chrome and firefox it is possible to do this with a free app so it should be possible for 1password. If somebody uses a browser thst cant do that its ofcourse not to blame you (:

And again 1password is a live saver for me so i love you guys.
    I never had never missed a feature (oh except for all vaults) but this one.

Have a good day (:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

I understand the application limits as developer. But for me as end user i do not care about difference of webpage or browser login and limits. It just should work (;

@joris85: Oh, I understand what you want. Me too! Unfortunately reality doesn't "just work" that way. But we'll see what we can do within those constraints. :)

In chrome and firefox it is possible to do this with a free app so it should be possible for 1password. If somebody uses a browser thst cant do that its ofcourse not to blame you (:

I doubt you'd feel the same in their shoes, but that's a fair point. ;)

And again 1password is a live saver for me so i love you guys.
    I never had never missed a feature (oh except for all vaults) but this one. Have a good day (:

We love you too! Thanks so much for your kind words, support, and honest feedback. I hope you have a great weekend too, and that we'll be able to grant your wish in the future. :chuffed:

Edit: fixed quotation.

• dalbotex
    dalbotex
    Community Member
    Options

+1

I'm pretty new to 1Password, but the lack of support for filling in authentication forms in places other than websites already makes me look for alternatives. Basic auth (in Safari) is really a must and I even expected 1P to work with all password dialogs, such as when connecting to a remote server in Finder. So far the experience has been quite disappointing.

• christianpbrink
    christianpbrink
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this. I've felt the pain ever since becoming a 1P customer.

• kesselborn
    kesselborn
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to +1 this as well ... it's really a major missing feature :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd like 1Password to support filling HTTP authentication prompts! It's an "easier said than done" kind of feature, but it would also be extremely handy, and I'd be glad to let our developers know you're also interested in that.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• Kobold
    Kobold
    Community Member
    Options

+1

How much would it take to "buy" this feature? Like if people scraped together $3k could it be guaranteed delivery?

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member
    Options

ARRRRRGHGHGHGHGHGHG

LIke an earlier commenter, MultiPass Chrome Plugin works. While I realize that the hesitation may be lack of support across all browsers, PLEASE push forward and make the browsers that CAN support 1Password Magically Handle BASIC HTTP AUTH actually work. I'm confident that you'll do so in a highly secure manner. I'd love to hear why, after 1P USED to handle Basic HTTP Auth many years ago, that it has been years since attempting to implement it again.

Please!!! +1 or more

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@jxpx777 @dteare Can you tell us where you are getting your data on HTTP Auth use in decline? Do you anonymously collect data from your actual users on how many times and/or sites a day your 1Password users hit an HTTP Basic Auth dialog (that would be great, directly actionable data)? Was there a study recently somewhere which said it was in decline? Did you evaluate the source and methodology of the study?

I'd like to see the numbers you are using to de-prioritize this functionality. As a developer, I hit sites with HTTP Auth daily. I suspect many of the people requesting this feature are developers or people at companies where the developers used HTTP Auth rather than web-based Auth for whatever good/bad reason.

I know I have installed a Chrome Plugin to make up for this deficit in 1Password. My toiling is real! But I also yield to data, but not vaguely referenced data, behind which might just be your opinion or direct experience, not the experience of the thousands, nay millions, nay billions of 1Password users daily.

Show your work!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I definitely see where you're coming from, @ooglek. No, we don't collect data on our users' browsing habits, but we do have a sense of which sites are the most popular. There isn't a single site on our list of the most popular sites that uses HTTP Authentication but many of them for which we need to improve 1Password's ability to autosave and offer to update your passwords, just to name a couple things that we're currently working on.

I realize that many developers use HTTP authentication. We have a system at AgileBits that does as well. But, developers are not the majority of 1Password users, and even for us developers, HTTP authentication is not the way the majority of our sites process sign ins. Perhaps you yourself are using HTTP auth many times per day, and I definitely see where that's a pain that 1Password can't fill them for you, but I firmly believe that does not represent the mode average of what the overwhelming majority of our users are working with on a regular basis.

I'm sorry. I definitely understand your frustration. In the future, maybe (Disclaimer: I'm making no promises and offering no timeframes.) we'll explore this again, but right now, there are more things for us to work on that affect many more people.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• cybersmog
    cybersmog
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 This is so frustrating to hear! You're referring to a list of popular sites. But what is way more important: how often does the average visitor of these popular sites use 1Password daily? I assume that thats not very often! But I as a developer use 1Password like 50 to 100 times a day and it breaks my workflow every time I need to enter basic auth credentials!

• jbaranick
    jbaranick
    Community Member
    Options

I totally agree with @cybersmog. And now that Chrome doesn't support Keychain, there are only crappy solutions for storing passwords to sites that require basic auth.

• fvm
    fvm
    Community Member
    Options

Aaaaand another +1 on this.

I find myself using memorable and therefore less safe passwords than I'd like on sites which use HTTP Basic Auth (which are quite numerous), instead of random generated ones stored in 1Password, because the currently prescribed workaround to the lack of support for it is more involved than I'd like.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @fvm, your comment is noted.

I have a terrible confession to make. I sometimes use my browser's password manager for these HTTP Basic Auth sites. It depends on the security requirements of the particular password and design of the browser's built in password manager. For example, my own network gear on my own home network is fine as compromise of those passwords would do limited damage in most cases. But this work-around may not be suitable for many people.

I suppose this is just another way of me saying that some of us are personally familiar with the problem and the desire for HTTP Auth support.

This discussion has been closed.