Basic Authentication / HTAccess / HTTP Auth [will work using Open and Fill in 1Password X]

Options

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi, @luciano_santana, et al. Since I do most of my work on the browser extensions, I was asked to come give an update. Right now, there are many other concerns for us that are ahead of this feature. For us it's not a question of whether we can do it, but whether we should be devoting resources to it at this time. I don't like being the bearer of disappointing news, but HTTP authentication support is just not a priority for us right now.

I certainly understand and appreciate that this is something that you use a lot, and I do realize it is a long-standing enhancement request. But HTTP authentication dialogs are decreasing in popularity more and more over time, and while there is certainly a vocal minority that really do use these kinds of logins every day, web page based login forms are much more common and require the bulk of our attention.

Please know it's still on our list; we haven't closed it or rejected the idea. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

ref: OPX-717

• luciano_santana
    luciano_santana
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jxpx777 . Thanks for you reply. I understand you have other priorities and not enough resources to develop a proper solution. But did you even consider a half-way solution ? For instance : the ideal solution would be to auto-fill and submit an http auth form, but at least if the we could use the shortcut to open 1Password-mini and then search manually for the credential this would be a good start. What annoys me more is that when the focus is on the http auth form I simply can't access 1Password-mini via shortcut.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@luciano_santana I'm getting a better picture of your situation now! It sounds like you're being affected by a bug I fixed recently. The fix should be in the next beta. Essentially, this is a problem with an attempted fix for dealing with multiple Chrome profiles that ended up causing this problem in the process. The new code is much better and should solve this. When our next beta is out, we'd love for you to give it a try and let us know if it works better for you. In the meantime, if you switch to another app before you use the keyboard shortcut or click the menu bar item, that should allow the 1Password interface to pop up for you to search and locate the item. Also, in the interest of productivity and since you mentioned using the keyboard shortcuts, you can use Shift-Command-C to copy the password for the selected item in the 1Password mini interface.

I hope that helps!

• luciano_santana
    luciano_santana
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you ! I'd gladly use the beta. What's the release ID ? So I can keep an eye on and give you feedback.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The current beta is 6.2.BETA-3. BETA-4 should have the fix in it and should be available within the next few days.

• mobu
    mobu
    Community Member
    Options

+1

AgileBeats, i think it's totally unfair. We're waiting (just see this forum thread) for two years for this feature. We decided to pay for your software and therefore trusted you in delivering "password manager". All your competition is at the moment ahead of you. We're seeing updates like new graphics etc. which certainly take development time, but you're seeing this feature as "not important"? Please just see this thread. And i know they are dozens and dozens of people just around me who use your software and need this feature much more than redesigning dialogs or mobile application.

• honzakuchar
    honzakuchar
    Community Member
    Options

+1 (on Windows) 4.6.0.604 still does not have it.

• helmer
    helmer
    Community Member
    Options

2 years, seriously? Sorry, I'm outta here :(

• frli
    frli
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Just downloaded 6.2 for OS X, still no Basic Auth for Chrome. @jxpx777

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for any confusion, folks. I see that my last reply about the beta with the "fix" is at the top of page 5, currently the last page. This was in response to this problem with accessing mini when an HTTP authentication dialog is active. I did not mean to imply that full HTTP authentication support was in beta. :(

• chrishoage
    chrishoage
    Community Member
    Options

There is no browser / OS support for filling out basic auth windows. What does exist is username:password@domain links, which get used as basic auth credentials.

1Password offers an "Open & Fill" link. The default behavior of this can be overridden with an opt-in checkbox Website uses Basic Auth that allows the username as password to be constructed into the link which opens a https://username:password@domain with the default browser.

This would allow for "auto fill" of basic auth sites on all platforms, and would be opt-in.

If this won't be added, can we get some explanation why? This seems like it would satisfy a long standing frustration with many users, and be relatively (compared to full basic auth support) to implement.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrishoage,

I’ve moved your question to an already existing thread on the topic. Please see Jamie’s post from March 10 for the latest update on this feature request.

If you have any further questions, we’re always here to help.

• chrishoage
    chrishoage
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I do not feel my question belongs in this thread.

Reading though it, it appears people are asking for the ability to have basic auth credentials saved, and auto populated when a basic auth dialog pops up.

My request was a modification / extension to an existing feature "Open & Fill". My request mentioned nothing about auto filling the basic auth dialog, nor saving credentials in basic auth dialogs.

I wanted to start a discussion surrounding "Open & Fill" to create a link that has the username and password embedded in the URL that is passed to the default browser bypassing the basic auth dialog.

This thread talks about the basic auth dialog itself.

Constructing a username:password@domain link upon an "Open & Fill" button press is trivial to implement. I fully understand that basic auth dialogs are tricky, but I am not talking about basic auth dialogs.

• cyphix333
    cyphix333
    Community Member
    Options

I"m on Windows but I have a read a number of these threads asking for this and I just want to +1 it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the vote! After fighting with Firefox's implementation a lot lately, I hope a better solution will present itself there too. :)

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member
    Options

+100

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jamie Phelps for your reply on an other topic about the same subject.

+1 with Firefox ans OS X

Reading this topic from the beginning, really, this is a joke and a shame also.

Ex user of Roboform from the early beginning, I move to 1P because a Mac user.
    I'm still using Roboform on my Mac, 1 item is left in the vault, just for 1 thing...

• earlymarket
    earlymarket
    Community Member
    Options

Why is that Roboform can fill these in but 1P cannot?

1Password Version: 6.3
    Referrer: kb:http-authentication

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @earlymarket. I've merged your thread with another ongoing thread where we've discussed this before. Particularly, please see my post from last month, which is still the latest we have to share about this feature request.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@earlymarket Please read this topic from the beginning to understand what all this mess is about ;-)

• brupm
    brupm
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Community Member
    Options

+1 ...

• Scipio
    Scipio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys,

There is a pretty easy workaround for this. Here is how I do this:

Create a new site in 1Password and fill in the URL like this:

http(s)://[username]:[password]@exampleurl.com

So if, for example your username is john and your password is secret and the URL is https://www.agilebits.com then fill the URL in like this:

https://john:secret@www.agilebits.com

Do you see the colon(:) and the @ sign in the URL above?

This should work for every site since this is the official URL notation since the Jurassic Age of the internet (and that is probably why not many people know this)

The drawback here is that the password is visible in the interface of 1Password, but as long as nobody is looking over your shoulder you shouldn't have a problem.

Nevertheless, if you Agile Bits / 1Password could make this a little easier, that would be great. You can create these URL's on the fly with the username and password fields. So it shouldn't be so difficult. And it saves the always annoying and ugly Basic Auth dialog.

Therefore +1 from me as well.

• julferts
    julferts
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777

I really understand that there are more important topics on your roadmap but this topic is open since about two years and there are a lot people giving a +1 on this.

I certainly understand and appreciate that this is something that you use a lot, and I do realize it is a long-standing enhancement request. But HTTP authentication dialogs are decreasing in popularity more and more over time, and while there is certainly a vocal minority that really do use these kinds of logins every day, web page based login forms are much more common and require the bulk of our attention.

However about the basic auth on public facing apps you're absolutely right they are not that common anymore. But for company internal services self written or 3rd party this is not really true there are enough examples that use basic auth. Even though its an really common and easy way of securing resources inside of an company with just adding basic auth through an apache module.

This is why I think it makes 1p even more awesome than its already is. +1

• HappyUser
    HappyUser
    Community Member
    Options

There are so many requests regarding support for automatically filling htaccess login forms in this forum. Some of them have been around for years and not been answered precisely. IMHO this is one of the most relevant features still missing in 1Password.
    What's your timeline regarding this feature? Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:htaccess

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @HappyUser. I've merged your thread with another ongoing thread where we've discussed this before. Particularly, please see my post from March, which is still the latest we have to share about this feature request.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• HappyUser
    HappyUser
    Community Member
    Options

I see that there are many frustrated users here regarding this lack of feature.

It seems as if for some reason you currently don't manage to fill out htaccess form fields automatically. I think many users would be happy if you at least could provide the following tiny workaround:

User visits a htaccess protected website. htaccess dialogue opens. User presses key combination for 1password mini. The user sees ONLY those login items matching the URL of the current website. This would speed up the process of finding a matching login a lot!

Maybe you could even add another 1Password item type, e.g. called "htaccess login" (additionally to the plain "login" item type). Then you could automatically filter the list of matching login items to only show matching htaccess items.

Wouldn't this be easy to implement and help all of those frustrated 1Password users a lot? :)

• youngd24
    youngd24
    Community Member
    Options

I am completely new to 1Password, have (2) physical Windows machines, (4) virtual Windows systems, a MacBook Pro, (2) iPads and an iPhone that I needed a better way to manage passwords on. I've had a home grown KeePass solution for a couple years but it was a kludge at best. I've heard about 1Password for a while now and just purchased the Windows/Mac version as well as the iPad/iPhone version yesterday. That means I spent around $95 to have a better solution than what I previously had. Let me also add that I run a mid-sized IT group (9 people) where we also use KeePass to manage thousands of passwords and licenses where I am also seeking a better option. In addition my personal and work needs, I can see my family benefiting from a new solution as well, my wife has spent countless hours on the phone getting our daughter's passwords reset when she forgets them (and the security questions). So, not only did you **get **money from me but you have the opportunity to get **more **from me both at work _and _ at home.

I was, to put it simply, shocked today when I went to log into SharePoint here, was presented with the HTTP basic auth popup and never saw 1Password catch it. After a quick Google search I ended up on this thread and was again amazed to find that even the most basic, and original, form of authentication on the Internet isn't supported. That's akin to not supporting HTTPS, if that were the case. If I were on your side I would literally be embarrassed that it's not in the product. And as a developer myself, I would grab a case of RedBull, a spare weekend, and JUST WRITE IT. Not that I've ever blown a sleepless, RedBull infused, weekend to adding a new feature to a product. No, not at all.

I am going to now evaluate your competitors options and see what support they have. If I find them to have improved support for these types of passwords I will request a full refund and destroy my license keys for your product.

• rebles
    rebles
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @youngd24 let the rest of us know if you find something better! I'm tired of filling out basic auth prompts.

• orphanedrecord
    orphanedrecord
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Plus 1

Is there a way know how many votes there are for this feature? Or is there a separate system we can use for the AgileBits team to help determine roadmap features?

I have been using 1password for years and have recommended it to numerous people. This is the really the only feature that is missing from my current password workflow.

This discussion has been closed.