Can't Switch Keyboard on Android

faraz
faraz
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Android

Since my Android device uses hardware buttons for actions like "Home" and "Back", I don't the option to switch keyboards as describe in "Use the 1Password keyboard to fill passwords on your Android device", so right now I get trapped using the 1Password keyboard until I dig through my devices settings to reenable the keyboard I was previously using.

There really needs to be a dedicated way to switch keyboards from the 1Password keyboard directly.

I'm using a Galaxy S5 running Android 6 with the latest 1Password build.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @faraz. The 1Password keyboard has a built-in shortcut. Just long press on the space bar and you should be able to switch quickly back to your preferred keyboard.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• faraz
    faraz
    Community Member

Hey @peri, thanks for the quick response! You guys should document this on the support page somewhere. :smile:

• Glad to hear that worked, @faraz. :) I'll pass your suggestion along to the team!

• MarkEastwood
    MarkEastwood
    Community Member

I'd like to know how to switch into the 1Password keyboard... my default/preferred keyboard doesn't allow me to switch. I don't have a little keyboard icon to touch to make the switch to the 1Password keyboard... so while this would help me get OUT of it... I can't get into it to use it.

• @MarkEastwood Depending on the keyboard and device you’re using, you might be able to long-press on the spacebar to have the input switcher pop-up. From there, you can quickly switch between keyboards that are enabled on your device.

Let us know if that works on your device! :)

• MarkEastwood
    MarkEastwood
    Community Member

Nope, long press doesn't help. I can switch OUT of the 1Password keyboard that way, but not from my default. I found I had to visit settings to switch to the 1Password kb and do everything needing 1Password and then I switched back. Kind of a pain... I want it to work like on my Macbook... I visit a website, unlock my 1Password helper and click on the name of the website, sit back and watch 1Password log me in...

• @MarkEastwood What's the make and model of your device, and what version of Android are you using?

• superwoman
    superwoman
    Community Member

I have an Samsung Note 4, I have tryed long -press spacebar it doesn't switch the keyboard. What else can I do ?

• Hey @superwoman. Can you try the steps here to change the keyboard:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/galaxy-note-4-how-to-change-keyboard.936900/

Let me know if that helps!

• stevelee
    stevelee
    Community Member

Hi Peri, I have the same problem. My Samsung Galaxy S7 default keyboard doesn't have an option to switch keyboard. I tried all your suggested solutions in your posts. Any other ideas? Thanks.

• Hey @stevelee. The long-press on the spacebar to quickly switch keyboard is not available on the Galaxy S7. From my understanding, there is no way to easily switch keyboards without going into Settings and manually enabling and disabling them. Keyboard switching is done on the system level, so there is not much we can do on our end, unfortunately. :(

If you like to learn how to switching keyboards on your device, check out this support article I found after a quick Google search.

• stevelee
    stevelee
    Community Member

Thanks Saad for your respond. How about allowing user to go back to the 1password app without having to completely getting out of the current app. Right now, if I tried to toggle between app back to 1password app, it will only show me the 1password app login and nothing else, therefore I couldn't copy or do anything in 1password app because after login in the screen will disappear. The only way I can get to the 1password again is to exit the current login. This whole thing is making the 1password unusable on S7. I have started to like the 1password on my desktop and I need it to work on my smartphone because my wife won't use it if it is not easy for her to use on her phone. I hope you all will continue to work on to find a solution. I believe 1password can be a great app. Thank you. Have a great day.

• @stevelee You’re very welcome. You can modify the vault locking behaviour by going into Settings > Security within the 1Password app. You will find options like Lock on Exit that can be disabled to prevent 1Password from locking as you switch between apps. You also have Automatically Lock that will lock your vault automatically if 1Password has been idle for the set amount of time. Let me know if that helps with your workflow.

• stevelee
    stevelee
    Community Member

@Saad Thank you. That should work for me.

• Awesome! :)

This discussion has been closed.