To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I sync data from my iPad to my new desktop app?

mesford
mesford
Community Member

I've created an account, logged in on both machines. Tried to follow the support page instructions but they don't match the actual menus on my app. For instance, the first step is "From the File menu, choose Backup. Then click Backup Now to back up your vault." There is no Backup item under the File menu. I selected File:Import... and got a dialog that includes the link "Setting up sync". This takes me to a page with the link "move your existing 1Password data". This takes me back to the page I started from. None of the menu items exist in my version of 1Password.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mesford! Welcome to our forum. :) I'm sorry for the confusion about moving your existing data to your account. Since you're already using 1Password on your iPad, you need to move the existing data from that device instead of your Mac. Follow the steps in the iOS section of the article you were reading:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Now sign in to your account on your Mac or any other device and your existing data will be there. If you have a lot of items, rather than copying them one by one, it would be easier to do it all at once from your Mac. On your iPad, sync your existing vault with iCloud:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

Then on your Mac do the same following the instructions in that article. If you don't have a Primary vault there, open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar and click Advanced. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password. This will create a vault you can sync with iCloud. Set up syncing from the Sync tab, then move your data over by following the steps in the Mac section of the first article I mentioned.

Last up, once you have successfully moved your existing data to your account, remove the Primary vault on your Mac by switching to it and choosing 1Password -> Delete Vault. On your iPhone, remove it by tapping Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password Data.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions along the way. :)

• mesford
    mesford
    Community Member

So if I understand this correctly I want to first sync my Mac to iCloud. Otherwise it's a tedious process of copy-paste for each item. But the instructions that refer to syncing a Mac show a dialog different than mine. I don't have a Sync icon, a Wifi Server icon or a Backup icon. Instead I have an Accounts icon and an Updates icon.

Mike

• @mesford That is correct. I'm sorry it's a few extra steps. We're working to make the migration smoother soon.

I don't have a Sync icon, a Wifi Server icon or a Backup icon. Instead I have an Accounts icon and an Updates icon.

You can get the Sync icon by enabling vaults outside your account as I mentioned in my post:

If you don't have a Primary vault there, open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar and click Advanced. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password. This will create a vault you can sync with iCloud. Set up syncing from the Sync tab, then move your data over by following the steps in the Mac section of the first article I mentioned.

Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.