To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have a single license for my Windows PC. How do I connect and sync to my MacBook, iPad, IPhone?

MRush
MRush
Community Member

Do I need to purchase another license for these three devices? I gave attempted to sync through DropBox but have not been successful. I do have the apps (it appears) on both iPad and iPhone but I cannot access it with the master password I use with Windows. I cannot seem to download the app on my MacBook Pro at all. Any and all help very much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a single license for my Windows PC. How do I connect and sync to my MacBook, iPad, IPhone?

Comments

• Hello @MRush! I had a quick look at your account details associated with the email address you use here on our forums and located a 1Password for Windows license purchased last year which will not serve to license 1Password on your Mac. My recommendation would be to sign up for a 1Password Account, our new service wherein we handle the storage of your items for you, and will provide you access to the latest, greatest versions of 1Password across all of your devices.

The following article in our Knowledgebase will assist you with the creation of a 1Password Account, the migration of your existing logins into your new Account and the setup of the Account on your Apple devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

As for the trouble with your Master Password on your iOS devices, do you have a current and up-to-date copy of your logins available to you on your Windows PC at this time? On one of the iOS devices, if you enter your Master Password a couple of times unsuccessfully, does it reveal a Password Hint to you? I’m wondering if you may have setup 1Password on your iOS devices separately at another point in time using different details then what you currently use on your PC.

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. Apparently, I am very confused. I have a license key, but not an account key because, I am guessing, my account is not considered "Teams" or "Families". Is this correct, and do I need to have a different kind of account? I just tried logging into 1Password.com using the lic. key, and got the following message:

This looks like a 1Password license key, not an Account Key for 1Password Teams or 1Password Families. Need help?

To answer your question, about entering my Master Password a couple of times and then being revealed the Password Hint, yes it does.

The other question about available logins on my Win PC, I don't understand the question. Yes of course I have a complete list, but are you asking if they are ALL entered into 1Password?

Again, thank you,

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

P.S. I did open and read the link you included, but since I can't open my account as stated above, I haven't been able to accomplish that task. Or, of course it is possible I just don't understand it at all.

• Apologies for the confusion! You are quite correct, you have a standalone license and not a 1Password Account. 1Password Accounts are a relatively new way to use 1Password, but an optional way. This is a subscription service wherein we handle the sync of your items for you. You’re more than welcome to sign-up for and use a 1Password Account, but not obligated to.

Basically the quickest shorthand is that a license means you have access to the current version of 1Password (as well as incremental updates) on the platform you purchased the license for (in your case Windows), and that you handle the sync of items yourself. An Account is a subscription service wherein you receive all the latest and greatest updates to 1Password across all of your devices and we handle the storage of your items for you.

You’re welcome to sign up for an account or if you’d prefer, we can chat privately and I can help you receive a discount toward a 1Password for Mac license (since you are an existing customer). Whatever works best for you!

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

Again, thank you. If I purchase a 1Password for Mac license, will I be able to sync automatically? If not, how? And which is preferable - an account or the Mac lic.? I just want to have this to work perfectly and seamlessly but simply. Depending on your answer, a private chat would probably help me make a final decision.

• Whether you go the license or the account route, all you’ll need to do is download our Mac application and point it either toward the logins contained in Dropbox (with a license) or toward the 1Password Account. Once you’ve configured that, yes, sync between your devices will be automatically. I currently use a 1Password Account to keep 1Password logins across my Mac and PC up-to-date but for years previously I used Dropbox, and have no reservations about recommending either, though the convenience of not relying upon an additional platform such as Dropbox does give the Account route an advantage in my opinion but that’s just based on my own experiences using both for some time now.

You could always sign up for an Account now, it includes a 30-day trial, this will give you access to 1Password on your Mac where you can give both options a try and see what works best for you. You’d have a month to decide which you like best before making a purchasing decision. :chuffed:

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

Hello, again, I have signed up for my account and have been successful there. BUT, not sure how to proceed from there. I still cannot open 1Password on MacBook Pro, iPhone or iPad. I have periodically tried to accomplish these tasks since first getting the app a year or so ago ... I am determined it will work this time and this nightmare will be over! It should not be this hard.

Having said that, I do appreciate your help. AND, I am still not clear if I have to purchase another license for MacBook.

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

And, since I have 1Password Account, is having Dropbox account also deterring this progress?

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

I do not understand the following: "Whether you go the license or the account route, all you’ll need to do is download our Mac application and point it either toward the logins contained in Dropbox (with a license) or toward the 1Password Account." What does "point it ... toward" mean.

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

Good morning, thank you for all your help and patience. I have finally downloaded 1Password into each of my devices. Now to sync. I do have a 1Password account now, but I can't seem to sync data between my devices.

• @MRush Thanks for the update! Now that you have installed 1Password on all your devices and signed up for an account, sign in to your account on those devices. This is the first step to syncing them. Once you've signed in, let's move over your existing data. On your iPhone and iPad, you can move your existing data to your account by following the steps in this guide:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Let us know how that goes! We're here to answer questions along the way. :)

• MRush
    MRush
    Community Member

Thank you both very much. Finally, all is working well and in sync thanks to all your help.

• You're most welcome. :) Glad to hear things are up and running smoothly. We're here if you need anything down the road.

This discussion has been closed.