Creating a new vault in Dropbox on new computer

Options
brebre
brebre
Community Member

Hello! I recently installed 1Password on a friend's computer, and I want to set him up with Dropbox syncing, not a 1Password Account.

However, when I start up the application, I'm given two options
1) Sign in - if you have an account on 1Password.com
2) Find your data

Neither of these applies to me. I want to create a new vault in Dropbox. How can I do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brebre: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Just click "Create a new vault" on the right, and you can set it up to sync with Dropbox later in 1Password Preferences > Sync. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent - Thanks for the reply!

I can't find the "Create a new vault" option. Here are screenshots of what I see on the first screen as well as if I click "Find your data".

1.png 85.8K
    2.png 157.1K
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@brebre: It looks like you've already clicked "Sign In". If you close 1Password completely by going to the 1Password menu and holding down the Control key when you click Quit 1Password... does that help? If not, I wonder if you're using an old beta or something. Double check for me in 1Password > About:

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Brent. When I start the app, it always brings me to that screen as a starting point. (Even though it looks like it's selected, I didn't actually choose "Sign in".)

I downloaded the most recent version from agilebits.com/downloads. Here's a screenshot of the About 1Password page.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brebre,

Sorry for all the confusion about this! But the good news is that I think I understand what's happening and can help to clear this up.

Currently, the 'Welcome' screen of 1Password for Mac shows a different option under different circumstances. If it's downloaded from our website, and if it doesn't detect a license when it's launched for the first time, it shows the “Create Account“ option. That's helpful in most cases, but in your friend's situation, it's causing some confusion. I apologize for the inconvenience!

If your friend doesn't want to sign up for a 1Password.com account, and would instead like to create a new local vault that can sync via Dropbox, just quit the 1Password app, then hold down the option key when opening it again. Now the 'Welcome' screen should show the "Create a new vault" option.

Once the Primary vault has been created, your friend can sync it with Dropbox by following the steps here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

I hope this helps, but if you have any trouble with that or have more questions, we're here for you! :)

• brebre
    brebre
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect. Thanks, Drew!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! Knowing which version you were using was the clue we needed. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.