Failed to Load Page SSL error

Options
zarafet
zarafet
Community Member
edited December 2016 in iOS

I am using an iPad Mini 4 running iOS 10.2 (14C92), updated recently. I have an online Saver account which I have been able to access until yesterday using 1P. Now, when I try to go to the site to login, I get the message "Failed to Load Page An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made". This happens with 1Browser and also in Safari. I deleted 1Password and reinstalled, syncing with iCloud and tried to access the site. First time, the site loaded perfectly and I was able to login but subsequent attempts gave the SSL error. Firefox on the iPad also returns the same SSL error after the first attempt.
(My older iPad 2 running iOS 9.3.5 (13G36) loads the site easily without problems, however this is kept at work so not really practical)
As this Saver account is online only, I would really appreciate any help to resolve this.
Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2 (14C92)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zarafet: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! An SSL error won't be related to 1Password at all, especially since you're having the same problem with Safari. It may be a number of things: expired security certificate, date/time discrepancy on your device, or an ISP or local network issue. Since you mentioned it works on the old iPad, that may indicate that it's something with the device itself. But if they are using different networks, we can't rule that out either. Ultimately there won't be anything AgileBits can do, but hopefully this at least gives you a starting point to try to narrow down the cause yourself, or with the help of Apple.

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for your reply. I suspect it's to do with Apple's update. My older iPad is too old to update past iOS 9.3.5 meaning that the security hasn't been tightened up to the same extent. I've checked the SSL certificate chain which shows one as "not verifid". Strange, seeing it's an online bank account- Post Office Online Saver, Bank of Ireland.
    Guess I'll have to use my old iPad to get round the problem, though it really isn't convenient.
    Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I won't be the only one who comes across this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@zarafet: You're very welcome! I'm glad you checked the certificate. Better safe than sorry. It's certainly possible that the update could cause some issues, but since I haven't heard of something like this happening due to iOS 10.2, I think it may be something else like I mentioned above. If I had a dollar for every time someone had an issue like this just because the time was off by a little I'd be a rich man. If you'll give me the URL, I'll be happy to load it up on my own devices, just to get you a quick "second opinion". :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zarafet: Yeah, that's loading just fine on everything I've got here, including two devices running iOS 10.2. I'd definitely contact Apple. They should be able to help you narrow down the cause.Let me know how it turns out!

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

Will do! Just out of interest, it's not loading on my iPhone SE on 10.2 either even though there's different apps. etc on each. I'll post back if it's resolved.
    Thanks again.

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

Just a thought, Benty, I've just remembered. The page loaded the first time I used it but not subsequently. I deleted 1Password and reinstalled again, syncing from iCloud. Again it worked first time but not after. Same on both iPad and iPhone. I've just deleted 1Password on my iPhone, reinstalled and synced, Login worked the first time, then fails subsequently. Really strange!

• Ben
    Options

It sounds like the website may be setting a cookie after your first login that causes the site to behave differently on subsequent visits.

Please try this:

Turn on private browsing in Safari:

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then visit the site in question and login:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then close the private browsing tabs, turn private browsing off and back on and repeat the process. Does it work each time?

Ben

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I always use private browsing on my iPad, regularly clearing history and data. When I load the URL, I get the error message before I even get to the login page, even after clearing all data first, so that doesn't work. One way I can access the site ONCE is to delete 1P, reinstall, sync to iCloud then use 1Browser. I then get the login page, can log in, view the account etc. After logging out, it's back to page load error. Another is by using a different browser. I can download Firefox, get to the page, login using 1P extension, see the account etc, log out. Clicking on login again will give me "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." Deleting Firefox and reinstalling will again give me one shot with no problems. As this is just a Saver account and not accessed very often, doing this is probably the simplest solution, instead of chasing round trying to find out why this is happening. I'm very grateful for all the help and suggestions though, thanks to all.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @zarafet. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty & Ben
    Just thought I'd update you. I contacted Apple and explained the problem. The first guy passed me on to a Senior Technician who also thought it was weird that I could login just once then get the "Failed to load Page" error subsequently, resolved by deleting Firefox (and other browsers), reinstalling and getting one shot again. They agreed that it was the Certificate Chain needed updating as one of the certificates was "Not Verified" and suggested I rang the Bank of Ireland, who manage the Post Office Online Saver account. I rang the Helpdesk at the bank and eventually they agreed to inform the relevant department that the Website needed updating so that it was compatible with all devices. In the meantime, I'll use my old iPad 2, running iOS 9.3.5, which connects just fine! I'm not holding my breath, though.

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear you were actually able to get that far! It seems fairly common, unfortunately, that any issues that are "overly technical" are simply swept under the rug by "tier 1" technical support at many companies. It sounds like based on your experience Apple and the Bank of Ireland did better than the average. :)

Ben

• zarafet
    zarafet
    Community Member
    Options

I don't hold out much hope, Ben. The guy from the bank asked me to download Internet Explorer on to my iPad........
    It was the Bank of Ireland.

• Ben
    Options

Oh boy... :(

Ben

This discussion has been closed.