Impossible to connect 1password mini (purchased 1password from the app store)

macnovis
macnovis
Community Member

Hi! I'm from Italy. I've run an update and now it's impossible to load the program: "Impossibile stabilire connessione tra 1password e 1password mini" (Impossible to connect 1password and 1password mini). What's the matter?
I have purchased 1password from the app store. I red the other topic but you specify that the solution is only for those who purchased through your website.
How can I do?
thanks

1Password Version: 1password 6
Extension Version: 6.5.3
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macnovis,

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to open the main 1Password app! There are various reasons you might get a "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error message, although there was a recent issue that caused it to happen specifically in the website version. If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password and are getting that error message, something else is causing that.

The information in your message says you have version 6.5.3 of the 1Password browser extension installed, but the latest stable version of the extension is currently 4.6.3. If 6.5.3 is the version of the main 1Password app on your Mac, please install the latest update for version 6.6.2. To do that, open the Mac App Store and check the Updates section - you should see an update for 1Password listed there, and will be able to install it.

Once you've installed 6.6.2, are you able to open it, or do you still get the same error message?

• macnovis
    macnovis
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG and thank you! I opened the Mac App Store and I can't see an update, but rather "INSTALL", like I have to install it again. So i tried to install it, and finally 1password mini starts. But in the main screen of the app i can't see all the passwords I entered.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macnovis,

If you didn't see 1Password listed on the Updates tab in the Mac App Store, but you had version 6.5.3 installed, I suspect you actually had the website version of 1Password installed on your Mac, not the Mac App Store version. That definitely explains why you were getting the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error message.

If you had the website version installed, and then you also installed the Mac App Store version, you should now have two different 1Password apps in the Applications folder on your Mac: 1Password 6.app is the website version, and 1Password.app is the Mac App Store version. They keep separate databases on your Mac, which is why the Mac App Store version doesn't show the same data as the website version.

Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag 1Password.app and 1Password 6.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities, as they might accidentally delete your data).
    2. Download 1Password 6.6.2 (website version) from our download site.
    3. Once downloaded, open the .pkg file and go through the brief installation.
    4. After the installation is complete, open the Applications folder and double-click the new 1Password 6.app file.

The app should open correctly this time, and you should be able to unlock it and see all your data. Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• macnovis
    macnovis
    Community Member

Thanks so much.
    Great! Now it works!
    My question now is this:
    1) what was the problem? Why did this happen?
    2) where and how I have to do future upgrades?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @macnovis! I'm glad it's working now.

The recent problem that caused the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error message in the website version of 1Password is a bit complicated, but we explain what happened in this blog post: 1Password for Mac 6.5.5: Manual update required

If you're curious, we posted more technical details in another blog post: Certificates, Provisioning Profiles, and Expiration Dates: The Perfect Storm

If you're using the website version of the app, you can check for updates from the main app by going to 1Password > Check for Updates in the menu bar. But the app should automatically check for you and let you know when an update is available, so you don't need to manually tell it to check. To make sure it's set to automatically check, go to 1Password > Preferences > Updates and make sure the "Automatically check for updates" option is enabled.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.