Where are the folders and smart folders in the new 1Password subscription?

Options
Michielv
Michielv
Community Member

1password offered the option to organize passwords in folders and smart folders. Since upgrading to the new subscription model this folders have been gone and I don't see how to create new ones.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Smart folder

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Tags have replaced folders. They offer a more flexible approach (an item can be given two tags, for instance). At one point both were available, but now only tags.

• Hi @Michielv,

Danco is correct that we've replaced Folders & Tags with simply Tags. We think Tags are a superior way of organizing 1Password data, and having both was confusing users since they overlap so heavily.

Smart Folders were not removed as intentionally. The original implementation of Smart Folders wasn't done in a manner that could be made to work cross platform. It was done when 1Password was mostly still just a Mac app. Now that we're much more than just a Mac app, it was important for us to have a Smart Folder (Saved Search) implementation that could be made to work in our other apps. We mostly know how we want to go about doing that, but we haven't had the time to tackle it yet. Saved Searches provided some important functionality and I want to see it come back.

Rick

• oddtodd
    oddtodd
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I just purchased a standalone version without fully understanding the subscription model (or being aware that it is the intended path forward). Does this mean that the standalone version and the subscription version are diverging?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oddtodd: 1Password for Mac is the same in both cases, but some features require 1Password.com, as it has a newer database structure, and hosting is needed to enable some features (web access, for example).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cobaltjacket -- I understand where you're coming from, and as Rick said above, we're looking at ways to bring saved searches (smart folders) back in a way that's cross-platform. But I don't have any timeline to share with you for when you might see such a feature return. Thanks for lending your voice to it, though! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cobaltjacket,

I utilize Smart Folders to see which items have not been tagged with a disposition.

Maybe you can use search options to meet that criteria even if being unable to save it as a smart folder (as others have mentioned)? For example, Number of tags is 0 will list items that don't have any tags.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Jim A Syler

It seems Watchtower now covers most if not all of this? :) But you're right — we don't currently have a way to save searches, so if you wanted to reproduce exactly that you would need to create the search each time.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019
    Options

It doesn't (seem to) ensure that every URL is https

Check the "Unsecured Websites" section. :)

but does not exclude items that I already know I need to deal with

True, but I'm not sure how that is a useful exclusion. Seems to only encourage procrastination, no?

or sites that require weak passwords

It does indeed check weak passwords. There is a section titled exactly that. If you mean it doesn't account for the fact that the website may not allow for a stronger password you are correct, but I'd argue that is still something that is worth being warned of. I probably don't want to have accounts at such websites. If their password policy is that atrocious, what other security best practices are they ignoring entirely?

The removal of saved searches seems like wholly unnecessary reduced functionality (on the other hand, having both tags and folders was indeed confusing).

Rick explained this here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/367754/#Comment_367754

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim A Syler - if you're still seeing a "Security Audit" section, that means you're still using 1Password 6 for Mac, because Security Audit doesn't exist as a separate item in 1Password 7 for Mac; it's been folded into a much-improved and revamped Watchtower section.

If you're using standalone 1Password, Smart Folders should still be available to you. They have been removed in 1password.com accounts because the Smart Folder functionality in 1Password for Mac leveraged Mac-specific technologies only available on devices running macOS (not even iOS), and we needed something that will work not only cross-platform but with the 1password.com servers. So, until we can find a reliable smart/saved search function that's not specific to any one platform, we've removed them for now. But, if you are still using standalone data, you should still have the ability to save searches (creating Smart Folders).

I won't speak for Ben (and he's not in yet), but I also suspect he assumed you were on 1Password 7 for Mac because it's been available for nearly a year now, and his comments regarding the "Unsecured Websites" sections (and Watchtower in general) reflected the much-improved and revamped Watchtower that exists in version 7. We'd recommend upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac for the best experience (which will mirror Ben's comments). 1Password 6 for Mac, having been in legacy mode for a year now, will not be receiving further development attention.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim A Syler I'm saying Smart Folders never stopped working in 1Password 6 for Mac, if you're using standalone data. If you have a 1password.com account, there won't be any Smart Folders (saved searches), because we're using tags instead of folders there. I'm not certain what might be going on with your specific setup. To be clear: it is strongly recommended to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac because version 6 has been in legacy mode for nearly a year and will receive no further development attention, updates or compatibility fixes -- but it is NOT required to update to version 7 to regain Smart Folders.

This discussion has been closed.