To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What are the advantages of using account over licence from Apple Store?

Options
LMD
LMD
Community Member

I've been very happy with 1password which I routinely use with a licence on my iPhone and Mac and iPad.

I decided to get a trial subscription to make logging into various websites from my work computer and other computers easier (because I can access these through my.1password.com rather than opening 1password on my mac, then typing these into various websites). I don't have internet coverage so don't use my mac to access internet from work.

For security reasons, one of the solutions suggested on this forum is to (continue what I have been previously doing) open 1password on my Mac and typing details directly into websites.

Can someone correct me if I've not understood properly - accessing 1password data across wifi or other network is secure because its encrypted, however if the computer you are using is not secure, 1password data could be at risk?

If I elect not to continue with a subscription can I reverse the process to copy my passwords back to my original vaults, delete my account, and continue using my licence?

Love one password, not sure why I should choose an account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @LMD! Thanks for asking about this. Indeed, 1Password.com takes a few measures to make sure your data is secure and your Secret Key and Master Password are never sent anywhere. If you think your computer may have a keylogger or something, though, 1Password.com can't protect against that once you've copied a password or something else to your keyboard and are using it to sign in to a website. Since that's a work computer, I assume your workplace has antivirus policies as well so you should be okay with those.

If you decide not to use a 1Password account, you can go back to using 1Password without one anytime. I hope the account works out, though, and please let us know if you have some other questions about it. :)

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

Decided not to use 1Password account, because I couldn't use it on my iPhone. Used the information provided above. Had to delete everything in iCloud and then sync back through iCloud. all of the items on my phone are now labelled unnamed. I'm travelling tomorrow with my phone and no passwords. Thanks guys.

• rickfillion
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @LMD,

Ugh, that sounds awful. I'm really sorry that this happened to you. You're traveling soon so let's focus on getting your data into a usable form. But once you're back I'd love for us to figure out what happened here so that we can fix whatever bug caused this.

The best way for us to get your data onto your phone is to actually use the 1Password account on the phone. To do this:

• Launch and unlock 1Password
    • Go to Settings > Advanced > Reset All 1Password Data
    • Confirm
    • Launch 1Password again, and it should treat you as a new user

On the first screen there should be a button to indicate that you want to sign in via 1Password.com. Enter in the email address, secret key and Master Password for the account and you should be able to add the account to the iPhone and all of your data should be available.

Rick

ref: KEJ-65632-521

This discussion has been closed.