To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot register new device with master password, but it works to unlock??

Options
techn0guy
techn0guy
Community Member

I'm trying to setup my new iPhone with my 1Password account but it's saying the master password is incorrect. However, if I am on my mac I can unlock my 1Password program with that very password. If I go to edit my preferences on my account and it asks for my master password, it tells me the password is wrong as well.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@techn0guy: Do you maybe have a Primary (local) vault setup in 1Password? If so, that's the Master Password used to unlock the app, and you may have a different one for your 1Password.com account.

• techn0guy
    techn0guy
    Community Member
    Options

I did have a local vault at one point. At this point is it possible to destroy the 1Password account and make a new one. I already exported the passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@techn0guy: Can you tell me what you have setup in the app now? I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to start over with a new account. Let's not be hasty!

• techn0guy
    techn0guy
    Community Member
    Options

Alrighty!

I previously had purchased 1Password back when it was a one-time-only purchase, and I was syncing it with dropbox. I then wanted to make a 1Password cloud account so it syncs faster. I created a cloud account and transferred the logins over. On my Laptop & phone I had both the previous old vault and cloud vault. To unlock 1Password I used the same master password that I used for my old vault. Now I'm trying to add my new phone and it wont let me login to 1Password because it's saying my master password isn't correct.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@techn0guy: Indeed. It sounds like you still have the old vaults there, which is why you need to use that Master Password to unlock there. Unless you used the same Master Password for you 1Password.com account too, that will not work there. Do you have your Emergency Kit? If you wrote down your 1Password.com account's Master Password there that will help. If you do not know your Master Password and want to start over though, please shoot us an email at support@1password.com from your registered email address so we can help.

• techn0guy
    techn0guy
    Community Member
    Options

It seems as though I lost my master password. I've sent an email over, thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@techn0guy - Thanks! Someone will be with you shortly. :)

ref: SPA-52857-667

This discussion has been closed.