To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Not sure what I need to do - Laptop crashed and I'm unable to add 1Password to new laptop

Options

In 2015 I paid $49.99 for 1Password 4. It was on my laptop that has now crashed. I used DropBox to add 1Password to my iPhone.

Now I am reading about memberships. Isn't that what I paid $49.99 for? Or was this to be an annual payment? If so, I was never prompted to make any additional payments.

Is there a way to get 1Password onto my new laptop without additional expense? I truly lost as to how this all works.

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• mhyar
    mhyar
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about your laptop crashing.

Seems like you purchased the standalone version. Did you ever sign up for a membership at https://1password.com/? If you didn't sign up there for a membership you won't have to worry about making additional payments.

You can always use 1Password without an account and still sync your account with Dropbox between your laptop and iPhone.

If you haven't signed up for a membership why don't you give it a try since they offer a 30 day free trial. You don't even have to provide your credit card information. You can visit this link (https://support.1password.com/why-membership/) to see all of the benefits of having an account.

• judy_johnson_jax
    judy_johnson_jax
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response.

I am unsure as to how I sync to my new laptop if I am not able to open 1password on the new laptop without the secret key. I have tried opening 1password from DropBox, however, I get an error message.

Can you provide me with a link to more detailed instructions?

• judy_johnson_jax
    judy_johnson_jax
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I found 1password 4 under downloads. I was able to successfully add it to my laptop, but it says 'Trial'. Is there another step I should take for it to recognize this is not a trial?

• mhyar
    mhyar
    Community Member
    Options

You're very welcome.

Sorry you're still running into issues.

Okay, just so we're on the same page, have you ever signed up for a 1Password account? Because you would only have a secret key if you opened a 1Password account. Is it possible you opened an account and forgot?

It seems though that you only used Dropbox for synching. In that case, you can easily restore your account. Let me know if this link helps you out at all.

Good news is that as long as you have your 1Password data in your Dropbox account and you still remember your master password there is nothing to worry about! :chuffed:

Let me know if that helped you out at all.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi @judy_johnson_jax

As mhyar mentioned if you were previously syncing your data with Dropbox, instead of a 1Password.com membership, then you’ll need to select that option (Dropbox) from the welcome screen. :)

A purchase of 1Password 4 for Mac would’ve included upgrades all the way up through the current version (version 6) of 1Password for Mac. Please be sure you’re using the latest version, and not version 4.

Version 6 will be the last upgrade that is included with a 1Password 4 license. Version 7 will require a new purchase, or a membership. Membership is a subscription service which includes access to the latest versions of all of our 1Password apps, as well as access to the 1Password.com service itself. This link explains some of the benefits of using a membership over a standalone license (what you have):

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.