To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

find bad or duplicate passwords

Options
byron_con
byron_con
Community Member

Hey,

I'm considering moving from Lastpass to 1Password but one missing feature is the password healthcheck. From what I understand, there's no way to do this with either web, android or windows clients. Is that the case and if so, what's the best way forward?

Sure, the apps are sexier but the price is higher & some functionality is missing.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: native?
Referrer: forum-search:find bad passwords

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@byron_con: That's correct. 1Password for Android and the 1Password.com web interface do not have a way to search for weak or duplicate passwords. This is a feature we'll be adding to both, but I can't say when exactly that will be. However, if you use a long, strong, unique password for each site, you won't have to worry about changing them. And we're currently working on 1Password 7 on Windows which has these features, so that's on the way. It's available as a public alpha if you'd like to use that. Cheers! :)

• byron_con
    byron_con
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty . I've got a stack of passwords, some of which have been migrated through several password management apps. New ones will be fine, it's just some of the older ones which could be questionable.

Good to hear it's on it's way via v7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@byron_con - glad we could give you a little look down the road. Keep your eye on the updates and release notes; that's where you'll see it first. :)

• chubbco
    chubbco
    Community Member
    Options

I used that neat new check-for-pwnage feature and have a pwned password I used very early on a number of sites but have never changed. Being able to discover which sites those are, so I can now change them, would be exceptionally helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agreed! :) :+1:

• The_Barron
    The_Barron
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to do this on my iMac running OS 10.13.3 with no luck. What do I need to do? Here's what I followed:

"Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    Click Open Vault to view the items in a vault, then click an item to see its details.
    Enter the magic keyboard sequence Shift-Control-Option-C (or Shift+Ctrl+Alt+C on Windows) to unlock the proof of concept.
    Click the Check Password button that appears next to your password."

Is this after 1Password is already open on my computer?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@The_Barron - this feature is only available currently on the web client of 1password.com itself, not in any of our native 1Password applications. You'll need to sign into your 1password.com account and perform all of the other steps there.

• The_Barron
    The_Barron
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think I have an account, but rather a license for up to five computers here at home. Would that be correct? I do not pay a monthly fee. Is there a work around? Can I do this via my iPhone or iPad?

• Sorry, there's currently no way to use the "Check Password" feature without an account at the moment. It's something that we'd like to bring to all of our apps, but we aren't there yet. What currently exists is effectively a proof of concept, building a proper feature will require significantly more time.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.