1Password 7 for Mac: How to get the Browser Extension working?

PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've installed the bata for Mac. Looks very nice. However, can't figure out how to get the browser extension working in Safari. The old one is not responding, and the Browser section in Preferences just sends me to the old web download page.

Any hints?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Hi @PBAdams,

Please try installing the beta extension here:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Click the "Enable Betas" link and then click "Install." :) I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

OK, so now I'm really confused. The recent Blog announcement states:

Our Safari extension now comes built in to 1Password 7. There’s no need to manage it separately, it updates whenever 1Password updates, and it’s more secure to boot!

I followed your instructions and downloaded the beta 1Password browser extension from the web. When I check my Safari extensions I have two for 1Password: V7 BETA, and 4.7.1.b2. I get two 1Password buttons on my toolbar, one wants to connect to my current version 1Password, the other does nothing.

Disabling the 4.7.1.b2 extension leaves the toolbar button that does nothing.

• @PBAdams,

you're absolutely going to need to uninstall the legacy beta extension, it will not work with 7 at all.

Rudy

• Hmm. The 7.0.BETA-1 version is the one you want. What happens if you completely uninstall the other and restart Safari?

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I agree: this is really confusing. I was also under the impression that installing from the webpage was a thing of the past and I was about to report that the Browser section of the Preferences should no longer have the "Install Browser Extension" button.
    I checked in the Safari Preferences and I already have the 7.0b1 extension (though Ican't tell whether it was installed by auto-update or through the app itself).

Corentin

• I agree: this is really confusing. I was also under the impression that installing from the webpage was a thing of the past and I was about to report that the Browser section of the Preferences should no longer have the "Install Browser Extension" button.

No, that strictly applies to Safari. All other browsers will definitely still need to be installed from the website, so the button is still needed.

I checked in the Safari Preferences and I already have the 7.0b1 extension (though Ican't tell whether it was installed by auto-update or through the app itself).

It should be installed through the app itself.

Ben

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

Curiouser and curiouser.

I've deleted the old extension, and left the Beta 7 extension active. Quitting Safari now takes 8-10 seconds - the Safari menu item has a blue background and the window is visible for up to 10 seconds.

I disabled the Beta 7 extension, then quit. Same 8-10 second wait to quit.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I see Ben. It makes sense, though it's confusing for Safari. I'd love some indication that this is not needed for Safari.

Corentin

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018

I'd love some indication that this is not needed for Safari.

Thanks. I think that is probably appropriate. I'll see if the team can do some brainstorming on that.

I've deleted the old extension, and left the Beta 7 extension active. Quitting Safari now takes 8-10 seconds - the Safari menu item has a blue background and the window is visible for up to 10 seconds.

I disabled the Beta 7 extension, then quit. Same 8-10 second wait to quit.

I'd suggest restarting your Mac. If the extension is disabled I'm not sure how the extension could be causing longer quit times. If it is, while disabled, that seems like a bug in Safari.

Ben

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

@Ben I've rebooted and the Safari shutdown time issue is resolved. However, the 1Password 7 beta extension is enabled but not working.

I'm falling back to the previous version.

Let me know if you want any diagnostics.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@PBAdams - you can't fall back to the previous version of the extension, if you're running the 7.0 beta. The older 4.7.x extension simply will not work with this version.

• PH_fin
    PH_fin
    Community Member

I'm having similar symptoms, coming from 1Password 6. In addition, the program crashed on initial vault import, and I had to import via .1pif file. I sent diagnostics via the automated pop-up.

There's an automatically installed extension 7.0.BETA-1 which provides a button that does nothing and has no uninstall in Safari preferences. If I install the latest beta extension manually, I get a version ending with .b2, which fails to get a connection with 1Password.

I've tried all permutations on/off installed/uninstalled and can't get the button to work. Oh well, that's what happens with betas.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.3

Safari extension is not working, 1PWmini is stuck.

1PW 7 beta is unable to use.

I switched back to stable version.

Let me know, when next beta is available..........

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-1 (70000001) AgileBit
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AustriaXL - sorry for the trouble! It's working great here, so I'm wondering what might've gone wrong with your setup? Kind of hard to check, however, if you've already deleted it and switched back. Are you willing to try again?

• @PH_fin,

Thanks for the report... please see my suggestion below.

@AustriaXL

Please uninstall any non-v7 beta 1 1Password extensions from Safari and then reboot your Mac. Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Ben

I cannot uninstall 1PW beta Safari extension as there is no uninstall feature.....

• @AustriaXL,

This is correct, the App Extension version of the Safari support included with 1Password 7 is not removable. You'll want to uninstall the next one down in the list, the one that's currently checked.

Rudy

• pkkaiser007
    pkkaiser007
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Same thing for me, just tried new 7 beta from a stable system and everything is fubar. I guess that is the problem with trying unstable betas.

Safari says 1Password 7.0.BETA-1 from 1Password7 is installed and selected (all other versions of 1password extensions are uninstalled so this is only one in list, unlike previous picture). There is no way to uninstall it to try to have it reinstall from 1password7 (all other extensions have uninstall buttons, 1password does not), and no way to uninstall from 1password app to try a reinstall. when i hit install browser extension in v7 the website with the big green button appears that lets me install old version of extension.

Restarted computer, restarted safari, checked that localhosts not blocked etc. 1password in safari does nothing. This is a vital piece of software for me and really should have been at least alpha tested before sending out. Seems like a few of us are having this issue so something is definitely up

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2018

@pkkaiser007

It was alpha tested. :) If you're not open to beta testing all I can suggest is using the stable version of 1Password 6 for Mac.

We do appreciate the feedback and will continue to investigate this issue. Thanks.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Ben, that is what I did. I deinstalled the beta 7 version which is not usable the way I am used to 1PW.

Hopefully there will be a beta version which is testable, soon.

• @AustriaXL I was responding to pkkaiser007.

Ben

• pkkaiser007
    pkkaiser007
    Community Member

Love beta testing, do it for many companies actually...but this beta doesn't work in Safari which is where I need it!

So this is what happens in the current beta:

1. install Broswer extensions menu option in v7....opens https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions...don't hit that button since it downloads the old extension that doesn't work with v7. Hit enable betas (since why not I am using a beta), but don't install that since that is also not working with v7. The v7 does actually install in the extension list (so the v7 beta is making an incorrect URL call to the old browser extension URL, sloppy code, needs to be removed from final version since this is not needed in safari) and another URL should be shown that shows "success" or something to that affect. BUT, the passowrd icon does nothing even though it is installed. Does not start v7, no error, nothing at all. it just sits there. Restarting computer, restrarting safari does nothing to help
    2. So then I said let's try chrome. go back to v7 and do install browser extensions. Well old version would ask youwhat browser to install into eg chrome in this case. v7beta just installs into safari. If you use old mini in chrome it opens v7 fine, but they don't talk (of course since you need a new mini) but how do you install the new mini in chrome?
    3. you can use v7 and parse username/password to a website, the mini doesn't work

hope this helps you guys figure out what is going wrong for the next beta. This version is still alpha

• pkkaiser007
    pkkaiser007
    Community Member

BTW, how do you uninstall the v7beta mini from safari?!

• @pkkaiser007,

It isn't possible to remove the Safari extension without also removing 1Password 7.app itself.

Rudy

• hope this helps you guys figure out what is going wrong for the next beta.

Yep; that's the point of what we're doing here. :)

BTW, how do you uninstall the v7beta mini from safari?!

You'd have to uninstall 1Password 7, reboot, and then install 1Password 6. From there you can install the browser extension as per usual (using the web page).

install Broswer extensions menu option in v7....opens https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

This option is for non-Safari browsers. As someone else suggested above, it is possible we could make that fact more clear. I've passed that feedback along to development.

BUT, the passowrd icon does nothing even though it is installed. Does not start v7, no error, nothing at all. it just sits there. Restarting computer, restrarting safari does nothing to help

This is what we're most interested in tracking down at this point. I'm not able to reproduce this issue on my system. Did you completely uninstall 1Password 6 before installing 7 beta 1? I wonder if perhaps the v6 mini is still running on your system. If you'd like to help us track this down, while the system is in that state, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/419325/#Comment_419325
    • Your forum username: pkkaiser007

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Hopefully the diagnostics will give us some insight as to why this is happening for some customers, but not on our own systems. Thanks very much!

Ben

• pkkaiser007
    pkkaiser007
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy, BTW other issues with beta:

1. Check for updates does not return that there are no new updates you are running latest version
    2. Under help release notes: takes you to old 6.88 release notes, not 7.0 release notes
    3. Under watchtower in preferences, it says last updated: 48 years (yes years) ago...this mac is only one month old!

i am sure there are others

• pkkaiser007
    pkkaiser007
    Community Member

Sorry Ben, just reinstalled v6 so not sure doing that would help at this point. All is back to normal now.

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

@Lars I've fallen back to using 1Password 6.8.8 and Safari Extension 4.7.0. I am able to login to sites again. The Beta 7 extension is still installed, but I have disabled it.

@Ben How do I uninstall the Beta 7 extension? As you can see from my previous screenshot, there is no "uninstall" button on the extension

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

@Lars I've fallen back to using 1Password 6.8.8 and Safari Extension 4.7.0.

The Beta 7 Extension is still installed, but I have disabled it. I am able to login to sites again.

@Ben How do I uninstall the Beta 7 extension? As you can see from my previous screenshot, there is no

• @PBAdams

You'd need to uninstall the 1Password 7 beta to remove the beta Safari extension.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.