Command + Backslash is overriding the same keyboard shortcut action in other non browser application

br8dy
br8dy
Community Member

This didn't occur before upgrading to 1P 7. Applications that share the same keybinding (Command + Backslash) no longer work when 1P mini is open. In the past, using this keyboard shortcut in the browser would trigger an autofill or expand 1P mini. Using the same shortcut in another application would trigger an action specific to that app if applicable.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Command + Backslash is overriding the same keyboard shortcut action in other non browser application

Comments

• Hey @br8dy! Yep, \ is available to open 1Password mini anywhere on your Mac. You can change the shortcut to something else in 1Password by clicking 1Password > Preferences and adjusting it in the General tab there if you'd like.

• br8dy
    br8dy
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob. I guess I just don't understand why the change, especially since there is separate option to bind showing 1P? It was much more convenient to share the same shortcut between applications.

• jlyman
    jlyman
    Community Member

Going to second this request. Just like in this other post, the \ worked great when it was only in browsers, but now that it's global it's tromping on shortcuts in my IDEs and some other apps (one example: Visual Studio Code's shortcut for splitting a window pane into two, used all the time).

I really like the new feature that lets 1P Mini to look at my frontmost app to offer suggestions (super helpful!) but the new global shortcut is super not helpful. ;) I don't particularly want to disable it because I use it 50 times a day in Chrome, nor do I particularly want to change it because then I'll just be conflicting with some other app's keyboard shortcuts (plus there's always the muscle memory issue).

It'd be great to see some options around just how global that shortcut is, whether it's a whitelist or blacklist of apps where it is active, or something similar.

Pretty please! 🙏😁

• kpclements
    kpclements
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Agree 100%.

I started another discussion over here as well; [https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91347/key-command-conflicts-with-other-apps#latest]

Hopefully they will offer us some options if enough people ask for it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Just to clarify, the current behaviour of ⌘ \ is very intentional, as it allows users to easily access logins for apps (I just used this to grab my Simplenote credentials) instead of just being limited to the browser. This shortcut can be changed in 1Password Preferences > General, or disabled entirely if you wish (by clicking the x in the field).

In case it helps anyone else, JamesD offered a cool hack to enable the behaviour that some people are asking for — excluding certain apps:

1Password ⌘ \ shortcut active in other apps [intentional, but can be modified using 3rd party tool]

This is something we'll continue to evaluate though, so again, the comments from everyone are greatly appreciated! :)

• jlyman
    jlyman
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty @Jacob and @Lars for keeping on top of all the replies. I know it's not the first time it's been brought up, and I appreciate your patient replies each time.

I know this feature certainly went through lots of discussion prior to development and implementation, but here's just a little bit to consider as it rolls forward:

• It's nice that 1P will eventually be able to fill creds in other apps. But if the feature can't currently do that today, and only makes suggestions based on currently visible application, then that functionality is more similar to Opt \ than \ (show instead of show and fill). Thus the current way it's implemented feels like it's getting ahead of itself.
    • The likelihood that someone who uses the keyboard shortcut is going to be filling a password in a non-browser app is a lot lower than using a keyboard shortcut to accomplish something else in a non-browser app. I'm filling in passwords all day long in a browser, but I do that so rarely in other apps (usually just on first run) that it's almost inconsequential. I'm more than happy to use the mouse to activate 1P for the rare times I do need it.
    • Lastly, and perhaps most importantly from the outsider's perspective here: people that use the keyboard shortcut already are inherently different from people who don't. I use the keyboard shortcut almost every time I invoke 1P. My wife, who's still pretty tech savvy but not a dev, for example, never uses the keyboard shortcut. The new any-app-filling functionality of 1P is awesome, but non-savvy users aren't likely to all of the sudden start using a keyboard shortcut to invoke it--they're going to keep clicking the 1P icon, but with the bonus now that 1P will read the current app. This exact same behavior (clicking the icon to invoke 1P) would work universally, but the potential for conflict is, as seen, very wide if implemented as a keyboard shortcut. Getting more people to use 1P in more apps is a great (and wise!) goal, but I think it's been executed at the expense of power users in a way that non-power users are never going to take advantage of anyway.

Whew, sorry, a novel there! I don't expect the 1P team to turn this one on a dime, but I hope that some additional, thoughtful feedback from the community here might help to clarify the issues around the current implementation, and offer some food for thought on why it might not be a bad idea to consider alternative ways of accomplishing the same goal. In the end, I just don't see non-keyboard shortcut users taking advantage of this, while for \ folks it's just going to mess with their flow in every other app.

• kpclements
    kpclements
    Community Member

Exactly @jlyman . You said it so much better than I did in another thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The likelihood that someone who uses the keyboard shortcut is going to be filling a password in a non-browser app is a lot lower than using a keyboard shortcut to accomplish something else in a non-browser app.

@jlyman: This hasn't been my experience personally or talking with most other people, but it's an interesting perspective, and I think you make a lot of other good points. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. These are absolutely the sorts of things we'll be thinking of as we continue to evaluate this new feature. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.