Sync issues with Mac OS / iOS app & browser extensions

alxir
alxir
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Here's an issue that I've seen for a while now since I switched over to the Families/Team plan

1. On iPhone 8, I'll be in iOS Safari. I'll save (or update) a password from the browser extension.
  2. Then go on a MacBook, and open the iPassword browser extension (Firefox or Chrome).
  3. Try to find the recently created password. Nothing shows up.
  4. Open the MacOS 1Password app. Nothing shows up.
  5. Go back to phone and open the 1Password app. Then back to Mac, NOW it shows up. 😡

I don't feel it's a time issue because I created a password 4 hours ago and I STILL don't see it in the MacOS app.

This is a issue that I mostly ignore because I know how to force the sync (by opening the iOS app).
But my partner runs into it all the time and gets frustrated with this issue and doesn't understand why opening the iOS app is a necessary step to force the sync. Which I agree, but I've just never bothered to figure it out till now.
It's most egregious when the password is updated on the Phone but is now wrong on Mac.

All apps/browsers/extensions are up to date.
I've tried reinstalling everything on Mac and iPhone. Still happening.
Thoughts? Condolences? Rage faces?

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Families / Team / iCloud?

Comments

• Hey @alxir! Sorry about the confusion and trouble here. The 1Password extension on iOS isn't the full app, so it doesn't sync your data. This isn't an issue with how your data is being synced, it's a limitation of the iOS app. To sync your passwords, you do indeed need to open and unlock 1Password for iOS. We'd like to make this better in the future, so I'll let the team now you asked about it.

ref: apple-1273

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

I am having a similar issue - when I change the password using the generator it updates in the extension but not in the app or browser. All of this is taking place on my Macbook - so it is

https://start.1password.com/signin?l=en (on Chrome on Mac)
    the Chrome extension (on Chrome on Mac)
    the OSX app (on Mac)
    latest versions as of today: September 17, 2018

I imported passwords from my Lastpass and from my Chrome browser so there are lots of dups and miles and miles to go before I am done. Is there any way to force a synch?

• @CBColem,

can you confirm what version of the browser extension you're using? I don't think you're in the same boat as the OP.

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

thanks Rudy, 1.10.3

Agreed, I am not in the same boat.

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

I will start a new thread, I assume that that is your point?

• @CBColem,

not specifically, I can split you off if needed. So you're interacting directly with 1Password.com, is your Mac and iOS device signed into your 1Password.com account? Preferences(Mac) -> Accounts and Settings -> Accounts (iOS). Additionally if you're generating those passwords using that extension they won't end up in your Mac/iOS generation history, currently.

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

I am using the browser extension to change passwords and they are not showing up in my vault in my app or when signed in to 1password via the browser.

Are you saying that that is how it is designed?
    If so how do I synch them up?

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

(My passwords do not update across the extension, browser and app on MacOSX - How long does it take to synch? Can I force the synch so that I can keep working at improving my passwords and cleaning up from my initial imports. What can I do?

Details:
    When I change a password on a website and accept the extension's offer to save the password the change is only reflected when I use the extension. The change is not reflected when I look at the password via the browser or the app the old password is still there.

EXTENSION _______________1.10.3 for Chrome
    BROWSER _________________Chrome Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    APP ______________________Version 7.1.2 for Mac
    OS X _____________________ High Sierra 10.13.6)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CBColem - it sounds as if you've got different vaults in different places. The extension you've installed is not the extension that goes with the 1Password for Mac application, but 1Password X. It works only in your browser (i.e. - no native 1Password app required), but only with 1password.com accounts. Your data has to "live" somewhere, and if that's not locally (in a 1Password app), then it has to be a 1password.com account where the data "lives" on the server.

My guess (though I can't say for sure from just what you've posted so far) is that you have local (standalone) vaults (or possibly even a different 1password.com account) signed in via 1Password 7 for Mac than you do in the 1Password X extension. To get a better look at what's where, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#MZX-85146-388]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out. Before you reply, please click the 1Password X extension in your browser and click the vault icon at the top left. This should show you what account you're signed into -- please include that information in your email as well. Thanks.

ref: MZX-85146-388

• CBColem
    CBColem
    Community Member

Oh sad face! I did exactly what you asked - Hope it helps you, Lars.

You have entirely lost me. How could I be signed into another vault or account? Different vaults? Standalone vaults? Vaults on different devices? I joined today and only have one account. On each device in each app I have the same vaults with the same names signed into the same one account that I have. I followed the directions this morning when opening my account - I downloaded and installed exactly the software that I was prompted to download.

1) Click on the extension and find out what account I am signed in to and tell you in the email (it's the only one I have and I am happy to say, it's the one I am logged into, PHEW)
    2) include [#MZX-85146-388] in the email
    3) run a diagnostic after downloading the app and send it to you

EXTENSION _______________1.10.3 for Chrome
    BROWSER _________________Chrome Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    APP ______________________Version 7.1.2 for Mac
    OS X _____________________ High Sierra 10.13.6)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CBColem - thanks. We'll be with you shortly via email. Let's keep the conversation going that way, since it will likely involve the specifics of your 1Password setup which shouldn't be in this public forum. :)

This discussion has been closed.