Tools > clean up duplicate items

cazzie98
cazzie98
Community Member

What does this tool do and where can I find documentation on how it works?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• @cazzie98,

It checks to see if you have any duplicate items in the current vault and offers to tag or move them to the trash. Most people shouldn't ever have to use it if they migrate their devices correctly to a 1Password.com account (migrate 1 device, erase all the others).

Rudy

• cazzie98
    cazzie98
    Community Member

Thanks!

• :) :+1:

• RogueX
    RogueX
    Community Member

It sounds like this only finds exact duplicates, not duplicates in the sense that 1Password will store http://domain.com and http://domain.com/login as two separate entries, even though they are essentially the same login. Correct?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RogueX - we want to be very conservative about your data. After all, it's yours and not ours. So we never want to get you into a situation where an automatic action of 1Password winds up deleting or overwriting some of your important data without at least informing you first, if not actually giving you control over what happens. The Duplicate Finder action will only find items 1Password can be pretty sure are an exact match. That's what "duplicate" means, after all. Hope this helps! :)

• RogueX
    RogueX
    Community Member

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I was thinking the tool worked similar to the duplicate finder in Google Contacts, which won't auto-delete but simply identify potential duplicates for the user to deal with. Thanks for the reply. That clears up my confusion.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RogueX - to be clear, that's what 1Password's duplicate finder DOES do: users are given the option to either tag identified duplicates with a unique "duplicate" tag or move the duplicated items to the trash...but due to the sensitive/important nature of the data most people store in 1Password, we want to avoid the potential of someone trashing items they cannot replace.

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

after migration, I have 351 cards in my personal vault. How do I delete the duplicates Where do I find the tool?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - the duplicates tool is located at Help > Tools > Clean up Duplicate Items. You'll need to do this for each vault you have individually, as it doesn't work in All Vaults view. You may need to remove some of the duplicates yourself, however, as the duplicates tool is very conservative with your data, meaning it won't flag as duplicates anything except items which truly are identical. It doesn't (and shouldn't) make choices for you about what it thinks might be a duplicate.

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

I don’t have that. When I click help it takes me to support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - are you using the web client, signed into your account in a browser? Or in 1Password for Mac?

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

I don’t have that. When I click help it takes me to support.
    First I tried web browser and yes I signed in. Then I tried 1password for MAC and it didn’t come up

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

First I tried web browser and yes I signed in. Then I tried 1password for MAC and it didn’t come up

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - would you be able to take a screenshot of what you’re seeing in 1Password for Mac? Thanks. Don't include any personally-identifying information in this public forum, but please try to show us where you're looking that's not allowing you to access the duplicates tool.

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

actually thats interesting on my 1password for mac clean up duplicate items is greyed out..I have a family account and my husband is the organiser @Lars would that mean then that each individual can apply that action or is it on the adminsitrator/family organiser? :)

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

Let me know this works for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - that's an image of our forum right here, which is different from a 1password.com account. If you have a 1password.com account, it will be at https://my.1password.com. That's the address you need to use to sign in within your 1Password app on your Mac. To read a bit more about how to get things working, please try our Getting Started guide.

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

So, I went to my.1password.com on my web browser (Safari) I signed in. It takes me to my vault, where I click and it takes me into my vault. On the top right side is Help and Support and I get to Get Started. I still can't find anything about duplicates. I'm not usually this stupid, but I'm sure feeling like the last dumb person on the planet. I can go thru and manually delete all the dupes, but I'm completely frustrated, says the woman who created a database that caused the US to cover pre-existing conditions.
    Perhaps we can talk IRL.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - I'm sorry for the ongoing confusion. I'm probably not explaining myself correctly.

Perhaps we can talk IRL.

Telephone or "live chat" support isn't available for 1Password, but I think we can figure this out together right here, if you'll allow me a second chance at explaining.

You posted this in our Mac forum, so I assumed you were referring to 1Password for Mac when you asked where the duplicates tool was. In the current version of 1Password for Mac (version 7.2.4), it's located where I said it was initially - at Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

I think then we got stuck in a loop of talking about different things, first the difference between an account on this forum and a 1Password account, then the fact that the duplicates tool isn't actually ON the web client of your account. So let me ask you: do you have a Mac? If so, do you have 1Password installed on it, and if you do, what version?

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

On my Mac I have 7.2.4

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - what happens if you click the Duplicate Finder I mentioned above, after unlocking 1Password 7 for Mac with your Master Password? Are you able to click it?

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Where do I find it? I've checked all the options across the operations bar at the top: File, account, vault, etc WAIT I found it!! I tagged all the duplicates, there are 42, and I will now check these v my iPad list to be sure they are, in fact duplicates. If they are I will send them to trash and empty the trash.
    I'll keep you posted.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - sounds good. Let us know how things go. :)

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

Success!! Now, I don't know how to delete my primary vault. And which "client" do I use, specifically, please

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - "Client" just means how you're accessing 1Password. If you're using a Mac, then 1Password for Mac is your client app. Apologies for the buzzwords. The "web client" means you've used a browser to sign in directly to your 1Password account in your browser.

If you have what you would consider to be a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data in your 1password.com account's vaults, then you can remove the older, standalone Primary vault from 1Password for Mac by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

Hope that's helpful but let us know if you still have questions or run into any problems.

• cn1009
    cn1009
    Community Member

YAAAAYYY! and you've restored my integrity. Thank you for your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cn1009 - thanks for your patience with this process. There's definitely a learning curve, no matter how smooth we try to make it. You'll be a pro in no time, though, and if you get stuck, we're always here to help out (or at support@1password.com). Have a great rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.